Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

My first thought is, there's something seriously wrong with these people.

My second thought is, you are attracted to this type because you are a kind and giving person who knows what love is. People with broken wings are easy to ID, and to decide to love. But maybe they're not ready or worthy.

And yes, there are some of us around with little or no "baggage"

. Don't forget us, please.

I have never liked the term used, Having Baggage. ouch. that seems downright rude to me.

Baggage means to some putting up with emotions that they don't want to see or hear. what does baggage mean to you?

often times when you are surrounded by people who have had life experiences which you've never experienced, it may be baggage to you.

Jesus would have never used this term for any person he met. I'm sure there were many in his day also.

Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said:

I have never liked the term used, Having Baggage. ouch. that seems downright rude to me.

Baggage means to some putting up with emotions that they don't want to see or hear. what does baggage mean to you?

often times when you are surrounded by people who have had life experiences which you've never experienced, it may be baggage to you.

Jesus would have never used this term for any person he met. I'm sure there were many in his day also.

sorry Marge, my post wasn't intended for you. It is a general post for all to respond to.

Love reading your informative posts Marge

Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: And yes, there are some of us around with little or no "baggage". Don't forget us, please.
Must be something in the air of South Portland! :)
Thanks for the kind (and very generous) words.
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said:

I have never liked the term used, Having Baggage. ouch. that seems downright rude to me.(etc)

Good point. And it's not even accurate as metaphor -- baggage is stuff you take with you because you need it, 'baggage' is bad stuff you can't let go of.
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Good point. And it's not even accurate as metaphor -- baggage is stuff you take with you because you need it, 'baggage' is bad stuff you can't let go of.
and all this time i thought it was all good memories smile ... my souvenirs of the places i visited and loved... my colorful outfits... my little tokens from the restaurant i dined and dance....my little bottle of perfume and don't forget the goodies --- chocolate, cheese, wine... darn English is getting me soooo faint in my heartbeat and all this time i thought i was mastering it .... guess i just have to let the baggage handler get rid of it ... crossfingers ... you may have a good point ....IDK ... feel like i'm in a merry-go-round, do love the old ones in the playground, care to join me for some fun ...
Jan 18th 2014 new

Just some random thoughts to join the thread

Assuming that others have broken wings that need to be healed can mask our own blindness to our own faults and weaknesses. While it is a beautiful and altruistic thing to help others, and in fact, it is a requirement of our Catholic faith to do so, if we do not temper it with periodic self-examination, it can result in a lack of our personal growth and development. A lack of humility can take hold if we do not, from time to time, examine our own emotional, physical and spiritual well-being. That is a separate, although perhaps connected, issue from the borderline sport of verbal "ex-bashing" that happens after a break-up. Pointing out someone else's faults is a lot easier than examining our own role in why something did not work. The journey on earth is an arduous one, and we are all imperfect human beings with limitations.

But we need to grow and embark on self-improvement to be all that God has meant to us to be. That is why being in a constant state of "broken-wingedness" (I think I just made up a word) is not an emotionally (and perhaps mentally or physically) healthy state to be in. If we are not in a healthy state, we cannot form healthy relationships.

As for the tendency to seek out those with "broken wings" for romance and ignoring everyone else, I suppose we are entitled to our own criteria in that regard like everything else, but the ensuing misery is then self-chosen and the blame for the misery cannot be placed anywhere else but on oneself.

Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said:

....  That is why being in a constant state of "broken-wingedness" (I think I just made up a word) is not an emotionally (and perhaps mentally or physically) healthy state to be in. If we are not in a healthy state, we cannot form healthy relationships.

Wings .......... and (shake, shake, shake) tail feather .......... in a loop de loop ....................

Is a right-winger an unhealthy personality with a broken left wing? Is a left-winger an unhealthy personality with a broken right wing? Is a moderate an unhealthy personality with two broken wings? Is a neurotic an unhealthy personality who can't stop and change direction because of broken tail feathers?
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: and all this time i thought it was all good memories ... my souvenirs of the places i visited and loved... my colorful outfits... my little tokens from the restaurant i dined and dance....my little bottle of perfume and don't forget the goodies --- chocolate, cheese, wine... darn English is getting me soooo in my and all this time i thought i was mastering it .... guess i just have to let the baggage handler get rid of it ... ... you may have a good point ....IDK ... feel like i'm in a merry-go-round, do love the old ones in the playground, care to join me for some fun ...
I like your interpretation better, but I'll defend mine: when people on dating sites say they're looking for someone 'without baggage', it can't mean 'without any good memories' (yikes!).
"Baggage handler" would be a funny name for a psychiatrist.
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:
Wings .......... and (shake, shake, shake) tail feather .......... in a loop de loop ....................

Is a right-winger an unhealthy personality with a broken left wing? Is a left-winger an unhealthy personality with a broken right wing? Is a moderate an unhealthy personality with two broken wings? Is a neurotic an unhealthy personality who can't stop and change direction because of broken tail feathers?
Couldn't tell ya, but an obsessive-compulsive personality is one that makes lists of questions like that!:-)
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

My first thought is, there's something seriously wrong with these people.

My second thought is, you are attracted to this type because you are a kind and giving person who knows what love is. People with broken wings are easy to ID, and to decide to love. But maybe they're not ready or worthy.

And yes, there are some of us around with little or no "baggage"

. Don't forget us, please.

Maybe I'm just being persnickety here, but when you wrote "not ready or worthy" I felt the need to say that none of us are really ever "worthy" of anything. Being a good person does not makes us deserve anything, yes your are more likely to find love if you don't have baggage and are a kind & loving person, but you don't intrinsically deserve it more. That's why love is so special, we receive it even when we don't deserve it. Same goes for the love we receive from God. I would never say I deserve the love God gives me, but He gives it to me anyway, which amazes me. When we focus on what we or others deserve it starts to ruin the act of love (at least in my opinion).
Posts 21 - 30 of 116