Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-939568 said:

Little Italy, NYC......everyone must experience it! My favorite pizza ....thinnest crust possible with plenty of toppings like eggplant, fresh tomatoes and mixed cheeses.....big taste, low carbs. Knife and fork needed...

What you describe is not really pizza.

To any Italian who grew up with real pizza, it is an abomination, a very poor imitation of the real thing.

One might as well take a slice of Wonder Bread and spread the eggplant, cheese and tomato on top.
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: What you describe is not really pizza.

To any Italian who grew up with real pizza, it is an abomination, a very poor imitation of the real thing.

One might as well take a slice of Wonder Bread and spread the eggplant, cheese and tomato on top.

Paul, do you know a place where you can get real Italy style food, pizza, spaghetti and.....etc.

How will know the real difference, if we can't get to Italy?

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Paul, do you know a place where you can get real Italy style food, pizza, spaghetti and.....etc.

How will know the real difference, if we can't get to Italy?

Unfortunately, even in Italy except for the Naples area, it has become difficult to find authentic pizza because of the demands of the flood of American tourists over the years.

I live in the greater Seattle, WA. area and know of no place that solely serves authentic Italian pizza except in my house which is not a public restaurant.

I grew up in Chicago. When I was growing up there were any number of great Italian restaurants, including one downtown whose name escapes me, where one could get the real ones. But with the end of WWII it all began to change as the retutning GIs,most of who were not of Italian heritage or Italian but not of a Neopolitan background, opened up a pizza "joint."

The experimenting with menus along with the addition of all kinds of toppings from the sublime to the ridiculous followed to end up with what we have now.

During the war years and immediately afterwards, my relatives in New York would never eat its "famous" thin crust pizzas. In Chicago we never heard of the "deep dish" ones. And we all would laugh at anyone who put anything besides tomato sauce and cheese and the addition of sausage and or pepperoni for a meat one.

Jan 19th 2014 new
when we lived in Lima Peru.......the pizza had no cheese and was yummy
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: What you describe is not really pizza.

laughing Paul...it may not be the ideal for many, but for those of us watching those carbs...the crust needs to be very limited!

Guess my tastes reflect some of the non-Italians who love Italian food but with some slight modifications!..

Jan 19th 2014 new
When I was in Italy on my honeymoon twenty years ago all we ate was pizza because it was the cheapest option but it was delicious! However, it was a very long time before I ate pizza again. Pizza in Lima? Now you have given me an idea Susan...to try other countries versions of the classic slice.
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-939568 said:

Paul...it may not be the ideal for many, but for those of us watching those carbs...the crust needs to be very limited!

Guess my tastes reflect some of the non-Italians who love Italian food but with some slight modifications!..

All ethnic foods have changed once they came and or come here to the US.

The first generation of immigrants tend to adhere pretty closely to the traditional dishes. Its there American Born kids who start changing things because they marry someone from out of their ethnic group. Or they open a restaurant with high hopes and unless those of the same backgroung frequent their restaurant, they find they have to modify the menus to cater to more American tastes.

In the home countries there are also regional cuisines. New York, Chicago, and all those East of the Mississippi cities with large Italian populations were heavily Southern Italians and Sicilian. So the Italian restaurants there reflected that regional cooking

When I first arrived in the Seattle area, I laughed at what was served in the best Italian restaurants because it was so bland compared to what I was used to. I thought it was because the Italian Population was small and the cuisine had been adopted to appeal to more American tastes. Then it dawned on me that the Italian Population here was mainly from Northern Italy. Nothern Italian cuisine is blander than Southern Italian.

The existing Italian restaurants were all white table cloth fine dining places. Then along came a Sicilian fellow from back East and opened Tony's Italian Restaurant at the bottom of Quenn Anne Hill. That changed the landscape of Italian Restaurants every since..
Posts 91 - 97 of 97