Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 19 new
Question is.....Why would one have to settle? Just to not have to be alone? I don't think anyone should settle.
Jan 19 new
my first thought was breathing and with a heart beat --- then I thought nope, those aren't even requirements if a vampire asked me out I'd probably go and he would have neither -- so I guess the least I would settle for when choosing a potential date is that they ask me out. Dating is about getting to know someone else, so yep if they asked I would probably go. The only time I might not is if my gut were warning me away.
Jan 19 new
Sorry, I accidentally hit the [upload] button with nothing other than the thread title. It hasn't been my best day ever today, seriously... sorry

I'm pretty sure you all get the point though. Please feel free to open up, ladies and gents. wink

And I also want to clarify that I'm not implying that we should quickly settle for "the minimum," since we all should strive for greatness the way it's understood in our faith. But the truth is we usually can't have it all and will have to settle for "someone" that meet at least certain minimum criteria in order to be seriously considered a potential spouse.
Jan 19 new
Just as I thought. Without further clarification the question could be misinterpreted.

You replied faster than I could... do anything to make it a bit better.

Quick typer... Bow
Jan 19 new
(quote) Juan-1022000 said: Just as I thought. Without further clarification the question could be misinterpreted.

You replied faster than I could... do anything to make it a bit better.

Quick typer...
I meant to quote you, Jhonny, but this forum system is not the type I'm well acquainted with.
Jan 19 new
I refuse to settle for anyone, no one should have to settle. True love comes but once in a lifetime and if I need to wait alone, I would rather wait alone the settle.
Jan 19 new
Juan,

To answer more seriously. A date is simply a date. It is for the purpose of getting to know another person. No, I wouldn't want to go on a date with someone who started drinking five hours before hand, or couldn't bother to wear clean clothes, etc. But, I would go out with many people that I ultimately wouldn't choose to marry. These are two different questions.

Now should we marry the first person to ask us? Only if they are the right one. And, as for settling. . .our wants are very often not what we need and I would argue even more often not what God intends for us. By being too rigid in our trait lists we may very well miss who we are meant to know.
Jan 19 new
(quote) Maria-1022025 said: I refuse to settle for anyone, no one should have to settle. True love comes but once in a lifetime and if I need to wait alone, I would rather wait alone the settle.
That said, one's idea of what amounts to 'settling' does tend to change over time. It would be odd if one's ideal at age seven and one's ideal at, say, 47 were identical. So I don't know what that does to the idea that 'true love comes but once in a lifetime'.
Jan 19 new
(quote) Maria-1022025 said: I refuse to settle for anyone, no one should have to settle. True love comes but once in a lifetime and if I need to wait alone, I would rather wait alone the settle.
I think it all depends on how you define "settling." It could be seen as, "Well, better that than nothing," or, "This is good enough for me."
Posts 1 - 10 of 55