Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

So I see quite a lot of profiles on here from women who talk about how they love to go camping, fishing and hiking. Some of them even have pictures of themselves engaging in all three activities, not all at once, of course! I have to be honest here, though. Full disclosure: I'm not really into camping, fishing and/or hiking. I come from the suburbs. Yes, I live in an area where beaches are aplenty and there are some people here who feel like a day without the beach is a day wasted. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE the beach. I just don't LOVE it nor do I feel the need and desire to go there every single weekend during the warm months here.

Having said that, this is not to say that I couldn't ever enjoy camping, fishing or hiking. It would just have to take someone REALLY special and unique to persuade me. Kind of like how I'm sure that some women feel about my love and passion for baseball, The Beatles and "Star Wars". :)

Thoughts?

Jan 20th 2014 new
Jeff your so special and unique yourself to take the plunge and try something new with that someone special... may you both find each other hug Praying theheart rosary rose rose rose

share this.... my cousin and my family love the outdoors ... his wife didn't grow up doing outdoor things .... now every other year they travel across the country with their dogs camping/renting motel/hotel and they look forward to it .... so one will never know when they open up that present and the memories they accumulate together biggrin ....

Jan 20th 2014 new
I don't like camping at all. If camping is a deal-breaker for someone then so be it. I don't see myself ever going camping.

I do like day hikes, though. I'd go fishing, too.
Jan 20th 2014 new
I've found over the years it's very hard to find people that even know what a hike is on this site. I'm continually told I'm way too outdoorsy for people. In the real world I can find plenty of folks who enjoy the outdoors they just seem scarcy on the internet. Just keep your options open be be upfront an honest on what you enjoy doing.
Jan 20th 2014 new
(quote) Jeff-406043 said:

So I see quite a lot of profiles on here from women who talk about how they love to go camping, fishing and hiking. Some of them even have pictures of themselves engaging in all three activities, not all at once, of course! I have to be honest here, though. Full disclosure: I'm not really into camping, fishing and/or hiking. I come from the suburbs. Yes, I live in an area where beaches are aplenty and there are some people here who feel like a day without the beach is a day wasted. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE the beach. I just don't LOVE it nor do I feel the need and desire to go there every single weekend during the warm months here.

Having said that, this is not to say that I couldn't ever enjoy camping, fishing or hiking. It would just have to take someone REALLY special and unique to persuade me. Kind of like how I'm sure that some women feel about my love and passion for baseball, The Beatles and "Star Wars". :)

Thoughts?

Hi Jeff,

I don't think you should worry about it too much. As you've so aptly stated regarding your passion for baseball, The Beatles and "Star Wars" someone really special may come along and convince you - my mum for example swore she'd never go camping ever and now my parents spend 3 weeks per year in Alaska or Canada doing exactly that laughing

And if you should realise that despite the fact that she is your "someone really special and unique" you are still really not into it at all it's about compromise and communication, about finding common ground. My aunt and her family for example go downhill skiing every year while her husband takes long winter walks with their dog. My father listens to Joan Baez in his office only because he knows her voice drives my mum mad while my mum pretends not to hear the strains of (sometimes very loud) music drifting into the kitchen and living room and relocates to another part of the house if it becomes too much to bear wink And you seem like someone who is willing to compromise.

If you can't find a compromise you will have to decide how important the issue is. And if it's a deal breaker for you or for her then the relationship wasn't meant to be and you just keep waiting for that special someone who will either hate hiking or manage change your mind smile
Jan 20th 2014 new
Some people think camping is parking an RV in a campground and drinking beer by the fire. Others go out in the backcountry and even try to live off the land. So even if you think you may not like camping, there is probably a way to do it that suits you best.

Last year on vacation I got a tiny taste of backpacking and loved it! There's a freedom in being able to live simply on whatever you can carry on your back. And it's fun knowing you are somewhat stranded and far away from creature comforts.
Jan 21st 2014 new
Send these women who like hiking and camping my way! biggrin I do like camping and hiking -- especially backpacking. It's one of the ways I connect with God. My favorite trip was a few years ago backpacking for 6 days in the Grand Canyon. It was beautiful and I plan to go again many more times. I would like very much to share my life with a woman who enjoys being outside in nature as much as I do.

(BTW, you motivated me to make my first forum post. Thanks :-)

Jan 21st 2014 new
(quote) Les-1035305 said: Send these women who like hiking and camping my way! I do like camping and hiking -- especially backpacking. It's one of the ways I connect with God. My favorite trip was a few years ago backpacking for 6 days in the Grand Canyon. It was beautiful and I plan to go again many more times. I would like very much to share my life with a woman who enjoys being outside in nature as much as I do.

(BTW, you motivated me to make my first forum post. Thanks :-)

very warm welcome Les to the fora smile wave
Jan 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jeff-406043 said:

Thoughts?

Pay a visit to Northern Minnesota, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Your mind will change. Almost every year Minnesotans are on the top of the list for the most "outdoors" people in America....winter or summer. The BWCA is spectacular, picture post card year around. If you have never snowmobiled put it on your bucket list. It is more fun than you can imagine. Ice fishing, ice bowling with frozen eel pout, what more could a man want??
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Salli-1049848 said: I don't like camping at all. If camping is a deal-breaker for someone then so be it. I don't see myself ever going camping.

Enjoyed your comment - you might get a chuckle out of something I wrote on my profile a while back when I had joined another site:
I know that somewhere out there there's a woman who will only be fulfilled by sipping champagne with her special guy in a hot-air balloon, exploring strange byways in Nepalese villages, seeing the sun set on Machu Picchu, and sleeping next to the waters of the Amazon. To that woman I say, with my whole heart: don't message me! Just thinking of that stuff makes me want to lie down with a cold compress.

Posts 1 - 10 of 51