Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I recently had an opportunity to talk with one of our Deacons who is a retired police officer. I asked him for his take on the subject of the following link. Unfortunately my question, asked in a respectful non-confrontational way, was the end of the conversation.

Bearing in mind that I'm not opposed to a strong police presence (I have a close friend who is a Maryland State trooper), your observations, please:

tinyurl.com
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: I recently had an opportunity to talk with one of our Deacons who is a retired police officer. I asked him for his take on the subject of the following link. Unfortunately my question, asked in a respectful non-confrontational way, was the end of the conversation.

Bearing in mind that I'm not opposed to a strong police presence (I have a close friend who is a Maryland State trooper), your observations, please:

http://tinyurl.com/cg948ne
Who knows what all this good Deacon had to face while serving as a police officer or what all he had seen while on duty that we are not privy to. I can imagine that there are not many happy memories for someone who works in an occupation that is not as appreciated as it should be.
When I was working in Edinburgh a certain over privileged supervisor made false reports on me concerning drug trafficking. As a result I had state police officers pulling me over and finding me clean. and personnel from the county sherrifs department tailing me. But the way I see it it was the safest trip home from work, because I got off of work at midnight. I wonder how many folks would see the blessing of a police officers tailing them around like I do. biggrin
Jan 22nd 2014 new
Elizabeth, I support our police as well as I mentioned in my post. I'm looking for folks' observations on the link I provided. You may have read about the "wrong house" story in Maryland a few years ago:

tinyurl.com

Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: Who knows what all this good Deacon had to face while serving as a police officer or what all he had seen while on duty that we are not privy to. I can imagine that there are not many happy memories for someone who works in an occupation that is not as appreciated as it should be.
When I was working in Edinburgh a certain over privileged supervisor made false reports on me concerning drug trafficking. As a result I had state police officers pulling me over and finding me clean. and personnel from the county sherrifs department tailing me. But the way I see it it was the safest trip home from work, because I got off of work at midnight. I wonder how many folks would see the blessing of a police officers tailing them around like I do.

Good post, Elizabeth. Thank God they did not try to plant anything in your

car though.

Jan 22nd 2014 new
Well, this was a wasted topic. Nobody will check out the link.
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: I recently had an opportunity to talk with one of our Deacons who is a retired police officer. I asked him for his take on the subject of the following link. Unfortunately my question, asked in a respectful non-confrontational way, was the end of the conversation.

http://tinyurl.com/cg948ne

After I started to read the reference, I noticed it was 2006. That was a long time
ago and I realized it must be worse now.

They do call our police, quazi military.

I don't understand why they do that to possible drug offenders. I have read about
that before.

One thing I wanted to comment on is what they call "Stop and Frisk" in New York
which has a lot of people outraged. To tell you the truth, since crime and especially
homicides are so much lower now in the neighborhoods that they use that tactic,
no one should complain. A life saved has a lot more value than a constitution right
upheld.

A lot of the NYC Police Officers are Vets from these last wars and are
diligent in trying to help. We should thank them instead of finding fault with them,
especially when things are getting better as far as crime goes.

Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Well, this was a wasted topic. Nobody will check out the link.

weeping You are not allowed to take a hissy fit on the forums. weeping

We are all grown ups here and have to deal with things respectfully. wave

Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

You are not allowed to take a hissy fit on the forums.

We are all grown ups here and have to deal with things respectfully.

Yes, dear. ashamed

Hey, we got our emoticons back!
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Yes, dear.

Hey, we got our emoticons back!

We got them back awhile ago. You did not respond to my post. I read your

reference before you posted your tantrum.

Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

We got them back awhile ago. You did not respond to my post. I read your

reference before you posted your tantrum.

Still hanging my head in shame. hissyfit sorry

About 15 years ago (before 9/11), I was about to pull into my street after working an evening shift. A fully armored policeman with an automatic rifle stopped me and told me to wait across the street at their "command center. It was summer, so I cranked my seat back and took a nap. Later a policewoman tapped on my window and said I could go home. As I pulled into my street, I passed an armored personnel carrier followed by about a dozen heavily armed SWAT guys with their faces blackened, marching in formation to their command center. Turned out to be a drunken redneck neighbors shooting his pistol in the air. Fortunately another neighbor had the good sense to call his sister who came out, marched up to the door and dragged him out to be arrested. Today he would not have been so lucky.
Posts 1 - 10 of 58