Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

A 2 Hour Lone Adventure

Jan 22nd 2014 new
Let's say you were given 2 hours where your safety was guaranteed and you were given the chance to explore (by YOURSELF) a certain place. What would you pick:

1. Outer Space
2. A tropical Island
3. Underwater
4. A foreign country
5. Top of a famous mountain
6. Your choice

Well, I'd pick Outer Space since the others are attainable. I think it would be cool to defy gravity (Like Sandra Bullock) for a while anyway. smile
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: Let's say you were given 2 hours where your safety was guaranteed and you were given the chance to explore (by YOURSELF) a certain place. What would you pick:

1. Outer Space
2. A tropical Island
3. Underwater
4. A foreign country
6. Your choice

Well, I'd pick Outer Space since the others are attainable. I think it would be cool to defy gravity (Like Sandra Bullock) for a while anyway.
#6. Amazon Rain Forest- what a precious gift! biggrin Thanks!
Jan 22nd 2014 new
Grand Central Terminal
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: #6. Amazon Rain Forest- what a precious gift! Thanks!
I was thinking of a Rain Forest also! Good choice.
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said: Grand Central Terminal
That and walk around Times Square for 2 hours - with no danger! Pretty cool.
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: Let's say you were given 2 hours where your safety was guaranteed and you were given the chance to explore (by YOURSELF) a certain place. What would you pick:

1. Outer Space
2. A tropical Island
3. Underwater
4. A foreign country
6. Your choice

Well, I'd pick Outer Space since the others are attainable. I think it would be cool to defy gravity (Like Sandra Bullock) for a while anyway.
Chartres, Cape Canaveral, and the Smithsonian, would be hard to choose only one....
Jan 22nd 2014 new
Denali National Park
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Bernie-645443 said: Chartres, Cape Canaveral, and the Smithsonian, would be hard to choose only one....
Bernie, Is the Chartes Cathedral the one with the thick walls having small outside opening graduating to very large inside?
Jan 22nd 2014 new
5. Mt. Logan(highest mountain in Canada)
Jan 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Denise-906256 said: Bernie, Is the Chartes Cathedral the one with the thick walls having small outside opening graduating to very large inside?
Hi Denise,

Having never visited, I can only talk about photos and plans I have seen. Just me, most of the cathedrals of the era have small openings in traffic sense, but many seemed to consciously strive for larger window/light openings. At that time there were many increases in the size of unencumbered interior spaces, and Chartres may be one of the largest in its time.

The progress in construction materials, methods, and design is interesting.

If your question is specifically whether the openings in the walls themselves were all like a cone with the larger diameter inside, I don't know.

Many good books on Gothic cathedrals are still in print. If you can find Allan Temko's book on Notre Dame de Paris, it may be helpful.
Posts 1 - 10 of 44