Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

is admin making website changes again? All of the sudden the website format is all messed up. Words are outside of the areas they belong in. All kinds of different fonts are on the same page.
Jan 22 new
It's not you-- it's the site. Hopefully we get something usable again shortly. The only workaround I found is to narrow my browser window to a sliver. Otherwise, half the page is hidden behind the giant menu bar. A plain HTML site without any fancy tricks would be a true blessing.
Jan 27 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: is admin making website changes again? All of the sudden the website format is all messed up. Words are outside of the areas they belong in. All kinds of different fonts are on the same page.
The format is still messed up on my laptop. I'm still seeing words outside of boxes and long skinny responses. When is this going to be fixed??? Very frustrating.
Jan 27 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: A plain HTML site without any fancy tricks would be a true blessing.
A blessing for those using one type of display device, and a total disaster for others. Many CM members use smaller devices (phones or tablets) on a fairly regular, if not exclusive, basis to view the site and the percentage is constantly growing, at least if CM is consistent with general trends.

If yo want to eliminate the responsive design, there are two options: maintain completely separate web sites for different device types (not feasible for a staff the size of Cm's) or design the site for the smallest commonly used displays -- around 400 pixels in width. Is that how you want to use CM? I don't...

Jan 27 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: A blessing for those using one type of display device, and a total disaster for others. Many CM members use smaller devices (phones or tablets) on a fairly regular, if not exclusive, basis to view the site and the percentage is constantly growing, at least if CM is consistent with general trends.

If yo want to eliminate the responsive design, there are two options: maintain completely separate web sites for different device types (not feasible for a staff the size of Cm's) or design the site for the smallest commonly used displays -- around 400 pixels in width. Is that how you want to use CM? I don't...

huh?? Speak English Jerry! tongue laughing

I use an old laptop. and the fora is a hot mess. What is being done for us dinosaurs who don't use phones or tablets?
Jan 27 new
I can say that if whatever device you are using: a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone - if the browser you are using on the device is not HTML 5 and JavaScript capable - the experience here on CM as far as web access goes will not be as easy going as those devices that are capable.

CM has re-done parts of the site that were "Flash" based to make the site more inclusive to everyone. I have always found them very receptive to any problems that I have had while on the site. (Please keep in mind that being specific in regards to the nature of the problem greatly assists the staff in accomodating its members when ever possible).

I could probably come up with a ton of anologies of old being replaced by new - leaving old behind, but they do not solve a problem an older computer may have accessing the site here.

Whenever any user is having any problems with the site - I would imagine the following specifics will help the programmers here in better understanding the problem.
  • The Computers Operating System and version (if applicable) - examples follow
    • Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.9.1
    • Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
    • Android 2.3, Android 4.1.2 (Whether the device uses WiFi or Cell access when you are having the problem)
    • Apple iDevice iOS 6 or iOS 7
    • Fedora 19
    • Ubuntu 11
  • The Browser and version being used at the time - examples follow
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Internet Explorer
    • Chrome
    • The default browser of the device whatever that may be (stating as such if not known)
  • Are you able to replicate the problem and the steps that need to be performed to replicate the problem
    • This can be very difficult to determine - but it is an invaluable trouble shooting tool for the developers if the information can be provided.
Information above - as opposed to (it does not work like it used to) can be of great help in rectifying the problem to the users liking in my experience.

Also keep in mind that the new changes are not necessarily done to prevent old ways from working, but without 100 different systems to work with - developers are at the mercy of the users sometimes to determine if a change that was made adversly affected other users in a way they had not intended. And it is this case most of the time where I find the staff here always eager to assist in anyway they can.
Jan 27 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: I can say that if whatever device you are using: a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone - if the browser you are using on the device is not HTML 5 and JavaScript capable - the experience here on CM as far as web access goes will not be as easy going as those devices that are capable.

CM has re-done parts of the site that were "Flash" based to make the site more inclusive to everyone. I have always found them very receptive to any problems that I have had while on the site. (Please keep in mind that being specific in regards to the nature of the problem greatly assists the staff in accomodating its members when ever possible).

I could probably come up with a ton of anologies of old being replaced by new - leaving old behind, but they do not solve a problem an older computer may have accessing the site here.

Whenever any user is having any problems with the site - I would imagine the following specifics will help the programmers here in better understanding the problem.
The Computers Operating System and version (if applicable) - examples follow
Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.9.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8Android 2.3, Android 4.1.2 (Whether the device uses WiFi or Cell access when you are having the problem)Apple iDevice iOS 6 or iOS 7Fedora 19Ubuntu 11The Browser and version being used at the time - examples follow
Firefox
SafariInternet Explorer
ChromeThe default browser of the device whatever that may be (stating as such if not known)Are you able to replicate the problem and the steps that need to be performed to replicate the problemThis can be very difficult to determine - but it is an invaluable trouble shooting tool for the developers if the information can be provided.Information above - as opposed to (it does not work like it used to) can be of great help in rectifying the problem to the users liking in my experience.

Also keep in mind that the new changes are not necessarily done to prevent old ways from working, but without 100 different systems to work with - developers are at the mercy of the users sometimes to determine if a change that was made adversly affected other users in a way they had not intended. And it is this case most of the time where I find the staff here always eager to assist in anyway they can.
Thanks for your response Dave. I appreciate it.

I have no idea if my browser is "HTML 5 and JavaScript capable" or not. I only know that I started having problems viewing the fora posts and responses a week or so ago, which seems to be the same time other people were experiencing the same sort of problems. So, is the problem with MY old, dinasour laptop or is it the changes admin has implemented to make the site more inclusive to everyone? I dunno.

I have no plans to purchase another computer right now. I enjoy the fora but I am not enjoying it as it is now. So I guess I will need to consider staying on a site that isn't working for me any longer.

Thanks again for your post.
Jan 27 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: I can say that if whatever device you are using: a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone - if the browser you are using on the device is not HTML 5 and JavaScript capable - the experience here on CM as far as web access goes will not be as easy going as those devices that are capable.

The Computers Operating System and version (if applicable) - examples follow
Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.9.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8Android 2.3, Android 4.1.2 (Whether the device uses WiFi or Cell access when you are having the problem)Apple iDevice iOS 6 or iOS 7Fedora 19Ubuntu 11The Browser and version being used at the time - examples follow
Firefox
SafariInternet Explorer
ChromeThe default browser of the device whatever that may be (stating as such if not known)Are you able to replicate the problem and the steps that need to be performed to replicate the problemThis can be very difficult to determine - but it is an invaluable trouble shooting tool for the developers if the information can be provided.Information above - as opposed to (it does not work like it used to) can be of great help in rectifying the problem to the users liking in my experience.

Dave, I have an HP desktop, less than a year old. Use windows 8, and internet explorer. The advertisements on the right side of the screen cover up the names and post times of the posters. They are partially out of the box.
Can you give me some ideas?
Jan 27 new
Unfortunately there are 2 environments I cannot help trouble shoot yet;
That is an iPad/iPhone and Windows 8 as I do not yet have access to either. Pretty much anything and everything else I can troubleshoot the daylights out of. Working on getting a working copy of Windows 8 for myself, if not curiosity more than anything else.

What I can say is that in ANY version of Internet Explorer if "Compatibility Mode" is turned on within the browser, IE will probably show CM pages completely wrong. Turning Compatibilty View OFF in the browser will allow the browser to render HTML 5 pages more correctly.
Will let you know if and when I get my hands on a copy/trial of windows 8 - though it is typically more the version of browser than the OS itself. I can test in IE version 11 - which I assume windows 8 is currently using. I will look into Windows and IE 8 later tomorrow morning and let you know if I find any thing wierd.
Jan 28 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Unfortunately there are 2 environments I cannot help trouble shoot yet;
That is an iPad/iPhone and Windows 8 as I do not yet have access to either. Pretty much anything and everything else I can troubleshoot the daylights out of. Working on getting a working copy of Windows 8 for myself, if not curiosity more than anything else.

What I can say is that in ANY version of Internet Explorer if "Compatibility Mode" is turned on within the browser, IE will probably show CM pages completely wrong. Turning Compatibilty View OFF in the browser will allow the browser to render HTML 5 pages more correctly.
Will let you know if and when I get my hands on a copy/trial of windows 8 - though it is typically more the version of browser than the OS itself. I can test in IE version 11 - which I assume windows 8 is currently using. I will look into Windows and IE 8 later tomorrow morning and let you know if I find any thing wierd.
Thank you, Dave, for the good advice. I just turned "Compatibility Mode" off and the pages are now showing properly.<br><br>I do find it troubling that admin has not been more helpful with this. Perhaps you should send them a consulting bill! wink laughing
Posts 1 - 10 of 17