Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

What I learned attending Catholic High School----

The Brothers had "carte blanche " to inflict physical abuse , something not allowed in the Military where strict discipline is necessary.

The students ( boys) were as rowdy and unruly as boys in public schools..

If the essential purpose of a Catholic education was to inculcate the students with Christ-like virtues , than such an education was a failure

Jan 23 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said:

The Brothers had "carte blanche " to inflict physical abuse , something not allowed in the Military where strict discipline is necessary.

If the essential purpose of a Catholic education was to inculcate the students with Christ-like virtues , than such an education was a failure

that every teaching of the church is wrong....LOL.... Jesuits... ugh!!!
Jan 23 new
I'm sorry you had that experience, Albert. Mine was much different. I was at an economic disadvantage compared to my peers, but was able, through scholarships, to get a first class education. I learned that religious values are more than just personal decisions. They encompass societal morals and scientific advancements. It opened my eyes to literature, business and the arts. My opinion was valued and it was the beginning of my feeling successful. Acts of charity were encouraged and mass was integral to daily life. Catholicism took hold of me in high school and I am eternally grateful for that blessing.
Jan 23 new
A lot of nuns looked (and acted) unhappy.

It was unfair to make a 14 year old choose between a commercial or academic course. Both should be given. sorry Those academic classes are important.
Jan 23 new

The first school I attended (grades 1-5) was run by a different order of nuns than the second one. (grades 6-8)

Don't think it had anything to do with the "Order"...but I liked most of my teachers at the first school.

When we moved.....and I started at the new school.....I can safely say there was only ONE nun I liked. The others displayed an attitude and as mentioned looked very unhappy.

Oddly enough it was the PRINCIPAL who seem to dislike me....and I her.

As Albert mentioned punishment was dispensed often. And I actually believed the Principal...Sister "B" ENJOYED using her "Board of Education" Actually she had two. If she REALLY was "peeved" she would use the one with HOLES through it. (that one hurt a lot more)

What really got me with her was she believed I was the culprit of some school mishchief/vandalism and didn't believe me when I swore I did not commit the crime! Her words were something like...."Well it happened last night..and you are the only one in this school who lives across the parking lot" (trying to rationalize it in the most bizarre way!)

She indeed administered the punishment with the perforated board.

My Father was livid when he found this out. And he delivered on his promise to confront her....the very next morning. After that.....she never punished me again....even avoiding me in the hallways!

I rambled too much you all and I do want to say this. I DID receive an excellent education at those Catholic schools.

And I went to a Jesuit school my first two years of high school. Great education. But was an "all-boy" school...just couldn't FIND any girls there! lol! jk!

Jan 23 new

I received an excellent education by attending Catholic High School. I do believe it gave me the opportunity for some course work that I would not have otherwise had access to at the local high school.

That being said, it was an all boys school and I do believe it hampered me somewhat in the social aspects of life, particularly in dating. The high school was 1.5 hours away from home by county transit bus so I spent 3 hours a day in commute mode (my choice to attend this high school that far from home and I had full parental support but did not want them to change their lives to drive me to and from school). Also, because of the commute time, I did not get into any social organizations or clubs. I considered the bus ride a "sport."

Again -- excellent education. If I could do it over again (with what I know now) I would go to the local high school and get accelerated courses at the community college or through outside learning centers.

Jan 23 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said:

It makes me sad that your experience was so horrible that it still makes you bitter today. My experience was much like Kathy's. Top notch education taking college credits before the public schools ever thought about it. And, excellent religious education as well and wonderful interaction with priests and nuns as well as lay teachers. I also had scholarships and I worked because we were also less financially well off than many of my peers. Lots of opportunities and lots of electives, challenging courses, excellent sports and other extracurricular activities, a strong cohort, many of which I am still in contact with. Many opportunities for service. Never regretted that at all. I am the only one of the five of us to finish all the way through. The brother right after me, went for two years then transferred to the public school -- did wonders for him socially -- but nothing for him educationally and he himself says now he wished he had finished at McGuinness. My sister and two younger brothers went into public high school and all three dropped out. All three have since gone on to get college credits. My sister an associates degree, my brother George a Masters and my brother Michael is a paramedic and has returned to get his RN. All of them say that even having Catholic school only through eighth grade prepared them for college.
Jan 23 new

Greetings all

Well at times my father wondered if I ever learned anything. Some times I did not dissappoint him.

I went to a military Academy owned by the Benedectine monks and had the Marist Brothers for some classes. In addition we had a contingent of military Officers from the Department of the Army to staff the military training.

I learned how to shoot a 45 cal.Pistol and a 30:06 Rifle, hand to hand combat and how to stand straight and march, while learning Tactics. I feel that the best was learning never to quit. I learned to fight and never look back at bad things but look forward to the good.

I had a flock (200) of chickens to care for and had an egg route while killing and dressing 5 to 10 on Saturday for my meat customers. Late in my Sophomore year I got a job in a factory (National Brush Co.) and worked 4 hours each night and Saturday mornings. School was expensive.

I learned a great work ethic as well as a military dicipline which served me well while commanding a unit in Korea. That gave me the honor of being presented with the 3rd highest military award. I accepted it for my men. BTW, we lost 98 men for a war that wasn't. Maybe I should go back and finish the job.

We were also taught by the Bennies not to read the Bible as we were not intelligent enough to decyphre the passages. Wow! Whay say you? We were taught the phylosophy of religion not the details. I was an Altar boy all the way through my military service (Latin Mass) and remember the sign over Fr, Murphy's and Dr Sullivan's quarters in Korea saying "Repairs Body and Soul"

Did I learn anything in High School? I don't know but what I do know is I will never be a victum nor will I ever shirk a duty or an opportunity to know my misgivings and learn a way to correct them

God love and protect all

Philip

Jan 23 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said: I learned a great work ethic as well as a military dicipline which served me well while commanding a unit in Korea. That gave me the honor of being presented with the 3rd highest military award. I accepted it for my men. BTW, we lost 98 men for a war that wasn't. Maybe I should go back and finish the job.

We were also taught by the Bennies not to read the Bible as we were not intelligent enough to decyphre the passages. Wow! Whay say you? We were taught the phylosophy of religion not the details. I was an Altar boy all the way through my military service (Latin Mass) and remember the sign over Fr, Murphy's and Dr Sullivan's quarters in Korea saying "Repairs Body and Soul"

Did I learn anything in High School? I don't know but what I do know is I will never be a victum nor will I ever shirk a duty or an opportunity to know my misgivings and learn a way to correct them

God love and protect all

Philip

Thank you for serving our country Silver Medal Superman United States Flag Go USA
Jan 23 new
Philip -- thank you for your service.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11