Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hey all,

This is a fun one---well perhaps I would like to get some ideas...this is the first time I have been single in a long time, with Valentine's Day around the corner, I want to do something for myself, but am having a hard time picking or choosing....well perhaps I am just looking for new ideas-

Anyone have any suggestions? What do you guys do on Valentine's Day when "solo"? tongue fluffy laughing scratchchin
Jan 24th 2014 new

Do something special for someone else, I used to babysit for a couple so they could have a date, used to have a blast as the twins were fun and they'd always have a gift for me as well. Get someone flowers and a small gift and do something special for yourself as well. Frankly it's another day but instead of dwelling on our being single just be proactive. Blessings!!
Jan 24th 2014 new
I am going camping in the desert with my daughters and friends from Church! No fishing though.....
Jan 24th 2014 new
I love that Jacqueline! Yes, put a vase of flowers in each of the rooms you spend the most time. And......someone else's kids, ;)
Or spend some time match making for someone else, this gift to someone else cures all.
Jan 24th 2014 new
St. Valentine's day is so 1968. February 14 is now the day to celebrate brotherly love and write in Cyrillic.
Jan 25th 2014 new
I am not a fan of Valentine's Day because it does draw more attention the singles out there. But, it is a day about love, so use it to share the love.

Do something that makes you happy and celebrate loving yourself! It is easy to put on a big display for someone else, but put one on for yourself. I make my favorite cake, pop some bubbly (even if it isn't alcoholic), and pamper myself. Try a pedicure and/or manicure if you haven't or don't go regularly. Get yourself a massage or facial to help you relax.

Volunteer at a Nursing Home (or a Hospital). Two of my grandparents stayed in nursing homes before they passed (because they needed more specialized care than we could provide them) and holidays are always tough there. A lot of people don't have family that will visit them and would be happy to see a friendly face.

Volunteer at the local open door mission/shelter. Missions and shelters can always use a helping hand.

Those are just some of things I have done in the past. Whatever you decide, I hope that you have a wonderful day for Valentine's Day (and for all the other ones too)!

Alison
Jan 25th 2014 new
Valentine's Day means something different to me now because it is the day my spouse died. This will be the second time to "get through" it. Last year I took the day off because I teach in an all-girls' high school and the giddiness and and conversation would have been difficult. In truth, it still is. So last year I bought 4 of the softest throws I could find ( one for each of my sons, one for Ben and one for me) and took them to the infusion center to help comfort those going through chemo treatments. It was my first time back since Ben died and it was a rough but positive experience. It was my way of honoring Ben.
This year I will again take the day off. (Same job, same atmosphere) but I am still deciding what I will do that day. I think I will know when the right thing hits me.
So for me it now has a much different significance and actually carries with it a kind of challenge to make it about something meaningful and positive in a "bigger" way.
Jan 25th 2014 new
Thank you for sharing your story with us Shel, your have an incredible heart and are very wise. I will pray for you, for roses from heaven
Jan 25th 2014 new
(quote) MicheleShelly-873396 said: Valentine's Day means something different to me now because it is the day my spouse died. This will be the second time to "get through" it. Last year I took the day off because I teach in an all-girls' high school and the giddiness and and conversation would have been difficult. In truth, it still is. So last year I bought 4 of the softest throws I could find ( one for each of my sons, one for Ben and one for me) and took them to the infusion center to help comfort those going through chemo treatments. It was my first time back since Ben died and it was a rough but positive experience. It was my way of honoring Ben.
This year I will again take the day off. (Same job, same atmosphere) but I am still deciding what I will do that day. I think I will know when the right thing hits me.
So for me it now has a much different significance and actually carries with it a kind of challenge to make it about something meaningful and positive in a "bigger" way.
may you find the solace and peace and may the light shine on your face and children fluffy angel hug Praying theheart rosary rose rose rose
Jan 25th 2014 new
As in it's time now, unlike in 1968, to write an intercessory prayer, in Cyrillic, to the brothers Saints Cyril and Methodius, the 'Apostles to the Slavs' and attributed users of the first Slavic alphabet, for, say, a funky Byzantine?

With a then national population of around 200 million, assuming the Catholic and Orthodox percentages of the population at 25% and 1% respectively (about 52 million believers), and subtracting all those not looking to be married ... you're saying that, in 1968, not one person in possibly ten million loveseekers wrote an intercessory prayer in Cyrillic to the brothers Saints Cyril and Methodius, the 'Apostles to the Slavs', and attributed users of the first Slavic alphabet, for, say, a funky Byzantine?

I know that West Side Story was 7 years old by then and George Chakiris had left the public eye a bit, but come on .... don't you think that's a brave assertion?
Posts 1 - 10 of 46