Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

I have struggled with this for years! My Catholic guilt makes me feel flawed because I have no interest in an annulment. I truly believe my marriage did exist and it was honored by God. I am sure there are many of you out there who think I am a 'bad Catholic' but is there anyone out there who shares my situation?

Jan 25 new
(quote) Sharon-1048048 said:

I have struggled with this for years! My Catholic guilt makes me feel flawed because I have no interest in an annulment. I truly believe my marriage did exist and it was honored by God. I am sure there are many of you out there who think I am a 'bad Catholic' but is there anyone out there who shares my situation?

Aren't we all 'bad Catholics'? Seriously.
Jan 25 new

Of course, but I am looking for 'a bad Catholic' who shares my situation. . .are you one of them?

Jan 25 new
To me not at all . I have argue the point it should be made easier . marriage harder . I have winked and said hello to many here . Some things the church should loosen up on . The main thing is to have morals and values when dating . which many quasi catholics who are dating don't have .
Jan 26 new
Hi Sharon - here is my understanding of the process: If there is no interest in obtaining a declaration of nullity, there is no interest in pursuing romantic relationships nor getting married in the Church. Civilly divorced Catholics are not required to seek an annulment - but just because we might 'believe' our marriage was sacramental, does not make it so. We have three choices: remain single and celibate; have the marriage reviewed by a tribunal and declared whether or not it was sacramental; live in the state of mortal sin by committing adultery if we date/develop relationships that are not brother/sister oriented - as we may still be 'married.' Either way, if we go through the process, there is healing, relief of ambiguity, and freedom.

God bless you on your journey!

P.S. As a convert, my interpretation of 'Catholic guilt' equals a well-formed conscience.
Jan 26 new
(quote) Michael-556947 said: To me not at all . I have argue the point it should be made easier . marriage harder . I have winked and said hello to many here . Some things the church should loosen up on . The main thing is to have morals and values when dating . which many quasi catholics who are dating don't have .
Michael,

Why would you want, and I quote from above "the church should loosen up on?" Remember, Jesus left the authority to Peter, if Peter defaulted from the Lords teachings, then what Jesus came to do here on the cross for taking OUR sins and TRANSGRESSIONS upon Himself, would have meant nothing. He came as a Rabbi, to teach, to heal the sick, to die for us and to leave the authority with each successor, etc. what you are basically stating, is Jesus needs to loosen up? Think about that! Jesus said what He said, and He meant what He said.

It would be like saying Michael, when they were choosing what books belonged in God's world.....you know, I don't like what Jesus said here, let's change it up a bit........hmmmmm by no means are we God and thank God he spoke His world and said the Gates of Hell shall not prevail!

blessings Michael,
Sharon
Jan 26 new
(quote) Sharon-1048048 said:

Hello Sharon, great name!

But for myself, it wasn't so great. I use to tell my mother that when I get older, I am going to legally change my name. Well, as you can clearly see, I have not changed my name. The reason is because when I found a passage in regards to the Rose of Sharon, I knew I just had to keep it. rose I know what your struggling with as I am in the process. For me, I truly believed in my sacramental marriage, but in my case, without getting into the logistics of it, the other partner didn't believe in a sacramental marriage. So once you make that decision for yourself, the tribunal makes that decision. I'd also say if you move forward with it, to be as detailed as possible about all the questions. Good luck and I wish you the best Sharon

"What is the Rose of Sharon?" rose

Answer:
The Hebrew word sharon means a plain or a level place. The Plain of Sharon is the coastal plain between the mountains of central Palestine and the Mediterranean Sea, north of Joppa to Mt. Carmel. The area is mentioned in Acts 9:35 in conjunction with the town of Lydda, which is about eleven miles SE of Joppa and is called Lod in the Old Testament (1 Chronicles 8:12). Modern Israelis have reverted back to the Old Testament name. This town is located in the midst of the Plain of Sharon. This area was proverbially fertile and known for its flowers. The rose of Sharon is found in the Song of Solomon 2:1. Therefore, we can surmise that the rose of Sharon flower is named for the district of Sharon.

Websters says that the rose of Sharon is a hardy plant of the mallow family with the name Hibiscus Syriacus and has white, red, pink, or purplish flowers. However, the Rose of Sharon mentioned in the Song of Solomon is a crocus-like flower and the source of saffron. The Hebrew word habaselet as used in Song of Solomon 2:1 is translated twice as rose, once here in the Song of Solomon and once in Isaiah 35:1. The translators may indeed have used the word rose to refer to the meaning of the Hebrew word, which is a flower similar to what we now know as a crocus or a bulb flower like a tulip. The NIV uses a footnote that says, Possibly a member of the crocus family. Therefore, the rose of Sharon is not really what we would classify today as a rose, but it could be a plant similar to the hibiscus or it could be a crocus or tulip.

Some Bible expositors see the rose of Sharon as Christ and the lily as the church, His bride. Some of the early church fathers were fond of this analogy as well. There are some parallels that may be drawn between Christ and the rose of Sharon, but most of them fall apart when we realize the rose is not a rose at all, but a crocus or tulip. In addition, the church is never portrayed as a lily in the Bible. In fact, the word lily doesnt even appear in the New Testament. Some say that because the rose of Sharon grows in dry, unfavorable conditions, it symbolizes Jesus coming from the root of Jesse and David (Isaiah 11:1; Revelation 22:16), but labeling the house of Jesse and David as dry has no basis in Scripture, either. Of course, Jesus is as lovely and fragrant as a rose, but that is insufficient to definitively identify Song of Solomon 2:1 as symbolic of Christ.

Jan 26 new
My pastor encouraged me to approach the annulment process, "just in case." I followed his guidance, because I had enormous respect for him. I was granted an annulment, in due course. Because I have been unmarried now for some years, perhaps I did not need to go there. Sharon, may I mention to you that I learned some things about myself which I may not have known had I not gone throught the annulment process, even though it was tres uncomfortable at the time.
Jan 26 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: Michael,

Why would you want, and I quote from above "the church should loosen up on?" Remember, Jesus left the authority to Peter, if Peter defaulted from the Lords teachings, then what Jesus came to do here on the cross for taking OUR sins and TRANSGRESSIONS upon Himself, would have meant nothing. He came as a Rabbi, to teach, to heal the sick, to die for us and to leave the authority with each successor, etc. what you are basically stating, is Jesus needs to loosen up? Think about that! Jesus said what He said, and He meant what He said.

It would be like saying Michael, when they were choosing what books belonged in God's world.....you know, I don't like what Jesus said here, let's change it up a bit........hmmmmm by no means are we God and thank God he spoke His world and said the Gates of Hell shall not prevail!

blessings Michael,
Sharon
Thats why we have Pope Francis to change the rules . building a bridge back to Vatican two and John 23
Jan 26 new
Your not a "Bad Catholic" My marriage has not been annulled yet!
Posts 1 - 10 of 60