Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

French President Francois Hollande has confirmed his separation from his partner Valerie Trierweiler.

He told the French news agency AFP that their "shared life" had ended.

Two weeks ago a magazine published photos which appeared to show Mr Hollande had been having an affair with an actress, Julie Gayet.

Ms Trierweiler spent a week in hospital after the revelations.

Mr Hollande, who has never denied having an affair with Julie Gayet, has admitted to a "difficult moment" in his relationship with Ms Trierweiler.

As a self-acknowledged cheater. Should he resign?

Continue reading the main story

Analysis

Hugh SchofieldBBC News, Paris

Thus ends a remarkable emotional saga that has captivated the French - and the world - for the last two weeks. It was probably inevitable that it would end like this, with Valerie Trierweiler quitting the Elysee.

But the lack of any official communication had given rise to all sorts of rumours. Right until Francois Hollande came out with his personal statement breaking their relationship, it was impossible to rule out a reconciliation.

What happens now? Well, the president has not said it publicly, but his entourage have passed on the message: for the time being there will be no replacement for the ex-first lady. Indeed, Mr Hollande is said to regret ever elevating Ms Trierweiler to the position in the first place, as her unease in the role clearly posed problems from the start.

As for Julie Gayet, we shall have to see how he continues his relationship with her. Maybe she will become an acknowledged part of his life, but without any official role and certainly not moving into the Elysee. Perhaps at some point she will start being seen with him, and accompanying him on trips.

But probably that won't be any time soon. Right now the president would probably prefer some time tangle-free.

At the time, he promised to clarify the situation before his official visit to Washington on 11 February.

Mr Hollande told AFP he was speaking in a personal capacity and not as the head of state.

"I am making it known that I have put an end to my shared life with Valerie Trierweiler," he said

Jan 25th 2014 new
If Bill Clinton didn't resign, a Frenchman sure isn't. I remember thinking back then if a man lies to his wife (or in this case girlfriend) how can his country trust him to tell the truth about everything else? You get what you vote for at the ballot box. There's no such thing as selective integrity.
Jan 25th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: If Bill Clinton didn't resign, a Frenchman sure isn't. I remember thinking back then if a man lies to his wife (or in this case girlfriend) how can his country trust him to tell the truth about everything else? You get what you vote for at the ballot box. There's no such thing as selective integrity.
A close friend of mine of many years' standing (who happens to be a militant athiest) takes the same view -- he's said he wouldn't even want to do business with a known adulterer, simply because you couldn't trust such a person to keep agreements or to refrain from taking unfair advantage.
Jan 25th 2014 new
Yes, I think an Affair or two is compulsory for a French President! He didn't even have the decency to marry his long-term girlfriend.

British & American Politicians would be called to account. Not sure what the Canadian Public expect from their Political leaders.
Jan 25th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Yes, I think an Affair or two is compulsory for a French President! He didn't even have the decency to marry his long-term girlfriend.

British & American Politicians would be called to account. Not sure what the Canadian Public expect from their Political leaders.

Mark, why fan scandal? Is that compulsory of the British when it involves the French?

As an American citizen, I have no constructive input to offer into French politics.

However, we all know what lying and cheating does for integrity and the eroding effects it has on society when such figures persist in leadership roles especially when there is no remorse or amends.

Jan 25th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said:

French President Francois Hollande has confirmed his separation from his partner Valerie Trierweiler.

He told the French news agency AFP that their "shared life" had ended.

Two weeks ago a magazine published photos which appeared to show Mr Hollande had been having an affair with an actress, Julie Gayet.

Ms Trierweiler spent a week in hospital after the revelations.

Mr Hollande, who has never denied having an affair with Julie Gayet, has admitted to a "difficult moment" in his relationship with Ms Trierweiler.

As a self-acknowledged cheater. Should he resign?Continue reading the main storyAnalysisHugh SchofieldBBC News, Paris

Thus ends a remarkable emotional saga that has captivated the French - and the world - for the last two weeks. It was probably inevitable that it would end like this, with Valerie Trierweiler quitting the Elysee.

But the lack of any official communication had given rise to all sorts of rumours. Right until Francois Hollande came out with his personal statement breaking their relationship, it was impossible to rule out a reconciliation.

What happens now? Well, the president has not said it publicly, but his entourage have passed on the message: for the time being there will be no replacement for the ex-first lady. Indeed, Mr Hollande is said to regret ever elevating Ms Trierweiler to the position in the first place, as her unease in the role clearly posed problems from the start.

As for Julie Gayet, we shall have to see how he continues his relationship with her. Maybe she will become an acknowledged part of his life, but without any official role and certainly not moving into the Elysee. Perhaps at some point she will start being seen with him, and accompanying him on trips.

But probably that won't be any time soon. Right now the president would probably prefer some time tangle-free.

At the time, he promised to clarify the situation before his official visit to Washington on 11 February.

Mr Hollande told AFP he was speaking in a personal capacity and not as the head of state.

"I am making it known that I have put an end to my shared life with Valerie Trierweiler," he said

This is another reason why I am glad to be an American....

At least by living on this side of the pond, we (Americans) do not have to be continually bombarded in the media with the stupid and immoral behavior of the permissive French and the citizens who vote them into office. It is difficult to feel sorry for anyone involved (except for the kids in these families) on any side of that story. The French citizens, the mistresses, the French President. They all deserve each other. If this is the French's idea of being sophisticated, cultured, progressive and worldly, then I will leave them to wallow in their own pit of mud. Just keep it out of my media.

Ed
Jan 25th 2014 new
But what is mud? Is it only untidy heterosexual behaviour of high officers of state that is mud or does the term comprise the sober, quiet, clean-living (albeit same-sex) marital status of the US ambassador to Australia?
Jan 25th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: But what is mud? Is it only untidy heterosexual behaviour of high officers of state that is mud or does the term comprise the sober, quiet, clean-living (albeit same-sex) marital status of the US ambassador to Australia?
Roystan,

I must admit that I know nothing and have heard nothing about the story of which you wrote (US ambassador to Australia). If there is a story, I have not seen it in any media available to me in the U.S.

Please inform me of any pertinent details.

Thanks.

Ed
Jan 29th 2014 new
Hello Ed

It wasn't big news here either, but information about him is available simply by Googling 'John Berry', for example,

canberra.usembassy.gov

and other links.
Feb 1st 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Yes, I think an Affair or two is compulsory for a French President! He didn't even have the decency to marry his long-term girlfriend.

That's a good question. Former PM Pierre Trudeau fathered a child out of wedlock with a much younger woman (a constitutional lawyer - they had that much in common, anyway) and it doesn't seem to have harmed his standing any. Mind you, he was out of office by that time. And many Canadians read of the French antics and just shake their heads, same as many Americans do.
Posts 1 - 10 of 17