Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 20th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What happened to "no child left behind"?

The teacher showing the parents how to perform the process online isn't likely to help if the parents don't have a computer or any means of completing an electronic payment.

Hi jerry,

Mrs. C invited the parents to come to her classroom so she could help them learn how to use the system so the next time would be easier for them. It worked because the next field trip was on the horizon and every one of her students were signed up.

Jan 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What happened to "no child left behind"?

The teacher showing the parents how to perform the process online isn't likely to help if the parents don't have a computer or any means of completing an electronic payment.

I don't want to get off topic from Marge's topic, but I want to speak to the topic of having to use computers for school related things.

First, in order for a child to attend school, you have to register them for the school. This happens in school districts starting in the spring (for the next school year). In Huntley, where my kids attend school, they've moved to online registration (only), meaning you cannot fill out the paperwork by hand. Makes sense since there are thousands of kids to get registered.

What about parents who don't own computers? The district offers their computers...where a parent can go to the district main office to use their computers and I am sure any school in the district would allow a parent to use their computer.

Also, our local library has many computers for use for free, as long as one has a library card.

Are there really destitute parents who can't drive to the district office/school? Who can't get to the library? Who don't have a clue on how to use a computer? Maybe, maybe not.

I know the school district would be more than happy to help any parent who needs help (accessing a computer, understanding how to fill out the forms).

Sometimes this path of using technology does hold some parents back from being able to participate, especially if it's a non-English speaking parent. Here in Huntley, if it's financial (in that a family can't own a computer), it seems that Huntley will provide ways for the parent to get done what needs to get done (fill out the registration form).

On the other hand, are there parents out there who say they don't have access a computer (don't have one at home), then scoff at the idea of having to go to the district office/local library to use a computer, yet they own a fancy, data-filled phone, drive a luxury expensive-brand-named vehicle, and have lots of expensive computer games for their kids at home? Yes, that also happens.

Jan 21st 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

If so, what is the primary benefit?

If not, why not?

I did, briefly, a few years ago.
My hardwired, home computer was hacked and payments tampered with. It cost me thousands of dollars and redoing all accounts to prevent full scale ID theft.
i do set up auto payments for my mortgage and the minimum payments on each credit card.Some of these have to be arranged online but after the initial set up they run on their own. I still get paper statements and pay everything else including the full balance on any card used with checks...the autopay is just to avoid lateness if I am ill, traveling or something.
i doubt that I will return to online bill paying.
for me it isn't worth the risk.
Jan 21st 2014 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: I don't want to get off topic from Marge's topic, but I want to speak to the topic of having to use computers for school related things.

First, in order for a child to attend school, you have to register them for the school. This happens in school districts starting in the spring (for the next school year). In Huntley, where my kids attend school, they've moved to online registration (only), meaning you cannot fill out the paperwork by hand. Makes sense since there are thousands of kids to get registered.

What about parents who don't own computers? The district offers their computers...where a parent can go to the district main office to use their computers and I am sure any school in the district would allow a parent to use their computer.

Also, our local library has many computers for use for free, as long as one has a library card.

Are there really destitute parents who can't drive to the district office/school? Who can't get to the library? Who don't have a clue on how to use a computer? Maybe, maybe not.

I know the school district would be more than happy to help any parent who needs help (accessing a computer, understanding how to fill out the forms).

Sometimes this path of using technology does hold some parents back from being able to participate, especially if it's a non-English speaking parent. Here in Huntley, if it's financial (in that a family can't own a computer), it seems that Huntley will provide ways for the parent to get done what needs to get done (fill out the registration form).

On the other hand, are there parents out there who say they don't have access a computer (don't have one at home), then scoff at the idea of having to go to the district office/local library to use a computer, yet they own a fancy, data-filled phone, drive a luxury expensive-brand-named vehicle, and have lots of expensive computer games for their kids at home? Yes, that also happens.

Just one point.

School Districts all over the world successfully registered thousands (millions) of children every year with just paper forms long before computers came along.

Computers may simplify the problem for school employees and alleviate the storage problems connected with paper forms. But they are not magic panaceas. They also, put the burden on someone other than school employees.

And believe it or not, there actually are a lot of people that are totally clueless about operating a computer and really cannot be taught to do so either.

Years ago, the simplest US Federal Income Tax form was an IBM card. All one had to due was write information like your name, address, SS number, number of dependents, age and check a few boxes. Something one would assume any person even a moron could do. Yet millions of Americans went to a tax preparer to fill them out for them.

Today, with these school registrations, people not only have to figure out what to enter where on the computerized form, they have to type in the info. Those actions require a skill level far above what was needed to fill out those old tax forms.

Jan 21st 2014 new
Always, except for those that cannot be set up that way. I mailed a money order once to wrap up the final bill on my telephone service before I went overseas, and only discovered a year later that it had never reached the company. I dont like writing checks and wondering for days whether the mail reached its intended place. Online always for me.
Jan 25th 2014 new

Some yes, some no ... no real rhyme or reason ... took me a while to convince myself it was safe to do it on line.

snowman fluffy snowman Ice Skating snowman fluffy snowman

Jan 25th 2014 new
I have been doing on-line bill pay for almost 15yrs. It is a lot easier and it also made me research out what the better banks were at the time. When I started very few banks had the service, so choosing a bank at that time was easy. No bill pay no customer.
As for the mail, I stopped my P.O.box and went to home delivery to help out the local post office from making employee cuts. Win, win situation for everybody.
Jan 25th 2014 new
theheart theheart theheart rosary rosary No way! Too many hackers! I have heard so many stories of identity theft when it comes to this.
Posts 41 - 48 of 48