Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Reporting Fake Profiles

Jan 26th 2014 new
In just this past week I've been receiving emotigrams from at least two fake profiles. Is there anything else we can do besides submitting help tickets?
Jan 26th 2014 new
(quote) Jeff-406043 said: In just this past week I've been receiving emotigrams from at least two fake profiles. Is there anything else we can do besides submitting help tickets?
Not that I know of. I sent in a help ticket about one man that 3 of us knew was not on the up and up, but CM indicated they saw no unusual activity. Good luck.
Jan 27th 2014 new
Jeff:

I can't speak to the specific profiles you are referencing however I can tell you our customer service staff does investigate every ticket concerning an account that may not be kosher with our terms of use. 99% of the time we have enough checks that we can definitively determine that the account should be removed but as you know nothing is 100%. If we choose not to remove an account often times it is flagged for monitoring to make sure that it is appropriate. One of the best way to help our staff it tell us why you believe an account should be removed, this give us more focus in our evaluation.

Jan 27th 2014 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: ...One of the best way to help our staff it tell us why you believe an account should be removed, this give us more focus in our evaluation.

Here's an interesting one: There's a man named Brian whose profile says "never married", but whose profile picture suggests otherwise." smile
Jan 27th 2014 new
(quote) Kevin-40666 said: Here's an interesting one: There's a man named Brian whose profile says "never married", but whose profile picture suggests otherwise."
Hey Kevin - I am guessing your comment is ment as somewhat of a joke, but in case any new members are wondering about your reference - it does state very plainly in the profile the following two things:
  • **THIS IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE ACCOUNT ONLY!**
  • "This is the profile of a MARRIED CatholicMatch staff member and is meant exclusively to use for working on the website, ..."
So although the option to select married is not available - he is definitely being very honest about his status.

As mentioned - more for any new members who may be wondering about Brian's profile. biggrin

Jan 27th 2014 new
Jeff/Brian/ Dave,

I have noticed a bit of an "epidemic" of the following: A "new listing" response to search criteria----showing with NO profile photo....YET the no photo box indicates 9 PHOTOS....or 5 PHOTOS...and so one MIGHT think they just came on and cannot decide which photo.....for Profile. Perhaps this might just be a "FAKE" indicator, also???

So, when you click on the 9 photos...the 9 or 18 or 2 or 5 are ALL the empty profile boxes....This has been the case in ALL of the new searches that meet my search criteria...so I just will alter to PROFILE only....what a shame! On the one hand CM tells you to open your parameters...and then, one must constantly close doors because of pests!!!!!

I know that several CM women have been saying they are NOT going to click on any match without a pix...even if sent by CM search ....so I will join those ranks...perhaps this is the latest trend...to indicate there are oodles of photos in the album...??????

Anyway....I for one think this is a pretty good indicator that you have many just "playing" here...Waste of time!

FWIW
Barbara
Jan 27th 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: So, when you click on the 9 photos...the 9 or 18 or 2 or 5 are ALL the empty profile boxes....
Barbara - I am not sure what you meant by the above part of your post. Is it that EVERY time you have clicked on a profile without a profile pick they have ALWAYS had other pictures - because I have found it to be about 50/50 it seems.

But in regards to why someone may have no picture for their profile, yet many other pictures of themselves I offer up the following which I believe still to be the case here on CM

The profile picture itself has the potential of showing when anyone on the web accesses CM without being a member (paying or non-paying). The search for a given gender in a specific city/state gives the general public contemplating joining CM an idea of what its membership is made up of. Short version - profile pictures may be accessible to non members - whereas the remaining pictures in their profile are ONLY available to CM members who have signed up and passed the vetting process of new memberships.

It is for the above reason (amongst many others) that some members have stated in the past they do not care to provide a profile photo. While the above may be news to some - and always seems to cause a stir when brought up - that is not my intent (there have many posts in the past arguing the pros and cons of the availability of the profile picture to the public at large in past posts here on CM). I bring it up as a possible explanation to the many that wonder why someone on a dating site would not post their profile picture here.

I can say, and I may be wrong, that I do not EVER recall a single member who does NOT have a profile picture here complaining about the lack of activity they receive from other members. Whether or not someone visits their profile due to a lack of profile picture is never a complaint I have heard from the unseen members. I have seen many here take precautions about who they are in many forms - I think the lack of profile is just a different form of security that some members are most comfortable with in their time here and their searching.

I would imagine they seem to be OK - with people being NOT OK with their decision.
Jan 27th 2014 new
How did you know the profiles were fake? The info will help me be more aware. Thanks.
Jan 27th 2014 new
(quote) Diane-1049865 said: How did you know the profiles were fake? The info will help me be more aware. Thanks.
It is not always easy to tell. However, if they start asking for personal information (email address) right off the bat cut off communication immediately. That is a big red flag. I also would not communicate with anyone that did not have a profile picture. Don't even open and look at the profile picture. I reported one last week which CM did not take seriously. There was a guy from Mexico, no profile picture, that was obviously going around to any (he was 20 years younger than me) profile and trying to chat without first communicating. If all this wants is to get to the US all he has to do is walk across the border with the OBAMA law. Another thing if a guy comes along that seems to good to be true, he probably is. Good luck.
Jan 27th 2014 new
Thanks for that info, Dave.

What I am experiencing is with CM Search Results. The ones SENT automatically by CM.

I only have one Primary Search.

So, CM sends "new results"....generated on that one "Primary Search".

What I wondered is how a whole "string" of "new results" in the last few weeks....ALL sent by CM have NO profile photos, NO album photos although the boxes have the words "+9 photos" or "+4 photos"...then when you click...it is basically an empty profile...and they are NOT labelled "NEW Member"....

again...I'm just wondering HOW they get "by" the CM listings with names like "christian" and "Hansom"...that are getting through CM filters....with little or NOTHING in the profile....

Like Jeff the OP said....it's in the last few weeks....sent by CM....I personally do not search...nor do I revise my search....I just was wondering what Jeff was wondering...these are "waste of time" results...I don't need nor want them...just wondering how they get referred...fake or empty??????

Thanks for trying to understand my rambling!

Barbara

P.S. My Primary Search just is what it is...cause it has to be Primary! LOL Good News!

Posts 1 - 10 of 17