Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I know that I am where I am supposed to be and know GOD has a reason, yet I feel so lonely at times.. and see many in relationships & just feel so depressed at times... I am working on things to improve my life, yet feel so frustrated and alone. I want to grow stronger in my faith and learn more yet always feel so tired & moody. Does anyone have any good devotions, bible quotes, or books they utilize to help them stay focused & inspired ??
Jan 26 new
(quote) Jennifer-939674 said: I know that I am where I am supposed to be and know GOD has a reason, yet I feel so lonely at times.. and see many in relationships & just feel so depressed at times... I am working on things to improve my life, yet feel so frustrated and alone. I want to grow stronger in my faith and learn more yet always feel so tired & moody. Does anyone have any good devotions, bible quotes, or books they utilize to help them stay focused & inspired ??
I don't know if this will be beneficial or not, but I have Mother Teresa quotes on my phone and I scroll through them when I need a little boost.
And, I read through Proverbs. . .I find Proverbs most uplifting.

Jan 26 new
Dove Thanks Lauren I will read some of Proverbs...
Jan 26 new
I use the Laudate app for daily readings and reflections. The reflections are short but somewhat dense and always practical.

Catholic radio is an excellent way to learn about the Faith and become inspired.

There is a Stations of the Cross booklet by Clarence Enzler called "Everyone's Way of the Cross." At first blush it appears to be hokey and simplistic, but it's a great reflection on the little crosses we bear as part of our everyday lives. Again, it is very practical.

My secular recommendation is Eleanor H. Porter's Pollyanna. I am the type of person who can find the silver-lining in any cloud and Pollyanna is my fictional heroine. Yet it is also a reminder that even the most optimistic and chipper of people can struggle and do need the help of others to stay on track.
Jan 26 new

Thanks you Margaret., I wish I was one of those people who found the silver lining. I am feeling very sad right now & trying remember God has a reason for everything. I use Laudate also on my phone. I will check out the book by Enzler, sounds like it can help me recall that we all have a cross to bear.. Thanks!

Jan 26 new
Perhaps try the simple exercise of simply being intentional with being grateful - one of my friends makes a facebook post every day on something that he is grateful for. Some days it's profound, other days it's a little bit ridiculous. But make it a goal for yourself to find something very deliberate that you're grateful for that about being single that wouldn't be available to you if you were in a relationship right now. Maybe it's a bit much to do that every day, but start the week thinking about it and every night, make that part of what you do as a reflection on the day. Be on the lookout for something in your day that God put there as an intentional sign that this is where He wants you to be right now.

I was reflecting yesterday, for instance, that I have a particular freedom as a single teacher to be there for more of my students' events that a married teacher would be, especially a married teacher with children. I'm just more able to spend my time on their games and plays and concerts and competitions and I know it means a lot to them that I can go. So I'm taking advantage of it now, while I can, to hang out after school and "waste" my time with them, while I can. Maybe you can volunteer your time with a ministry. Maybe you're more available to your friends. And if you're not doing these things, maybe God is tugging at your heart to do it. But there's something unique to your season as a single person now that won't be there when you're not single any longer.

Just a thought!
Jan 26 new
(quote) Jennifer-939674 said: I know that I am where I am supposed to be and know GOD has a reason, yet I feel so lonely at times.. and see many in relationships & just feel so depressed at times... I am working on things to improve my life, yet feel so frustrated and alone. I want to grow stronger in my faith and learn more yet always feel so tired & moody. Does anyone have any good devotions, bible quotes, or books they utilize to help them stay focused & inspired ??
Jennifer- I hope this doesn't sound dimissive, but the more often I experience loneliness, the more often I get myself to Adoration. Once there, I receive in a receptive mode His love. Loneliness may very well be a prompting for us to exert faith in a unique way.
And when I feel like complaining, I remember this:
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

I hope this doesn't sound didactic...

Jan 26 new
Hi Jennifer, I also don't want to respond in a way that sounds glib or dismissive. Really all I have to say is that I get into the same frame of mind sometimes, it comes and it goes. Not very profound! but others here, including those who have already commented, are much better qualified to comment.

However, if only in hopes of distracting and maybe entertaining you a little....I'll add in some reading.It's not on the same level as either the Bible or the great Christian writers, admittedly, but I'm very fond of Rudyard Kipling's poem "If"--creaky here and there, and obviously addressed to a male reader (though it applies to women as well). I especially like the lines about "Triumph and Disaster...those two imposters" and have found it true. (Sailboat racer Tom Pollack retooled the line as It's never as good as it looks and it's never as bad as it seems.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, dont deal in lies,
Or being hated, dont give way to hating,
And yet dont look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamand not make dreams your master;
If you can thinkand not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth youve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: Hold on!

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kingsnor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything thats in it,
Andwhich is moreyoull be a Man, my son![6]

Two more can't-resist quotations:

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton

Jan 26 new
Thank you Pamela.... I have a lot going on with work and giving too much to work actually is draining to me.... I guess that is where I struggle, I have given so much to others that now I feel empty... I give and give and no one is here giving to me... I gave too much in past relationships. I am working on my career and studying which is hard to focus on when I am depressed. I guess I just need to keep praying ...
Jan 26 new
Thank you Pamela.... I have a lot going on with work and giving too much to work actually is draining to me.... I guess that is where I struggle, I have given so much to others that now I feel empty... I give and give and no one is here giving to me... I gave too much in past relationships. I am working on my career and studying which is hard to focus on when I am depressed. I guess I just need to keep praying ...
Posts 1 - 10 of 59