Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

First, I'll admit that I don't know if this is (strictly) against the church's teachings. Second, my question is would you marry solely for companionship? A very good male friend and I had this very conversation tonight. I think it's an interesting idea, especially as we age. I'm not sure that I could do it, though. Just curious how others think and feel....
Jan 26 new
I would not marry for a travelling companion
I would not marry to share a home
I would not marry for sex,
is any of these what you mean?I guess they all fall together (with other things) in mking an ideal marriage.
Jan 26 new
I think I'm still young enough to believe I don't have to marry for companionship. The romantic in me still believes that marrying for love is the way to go.
Jan 26 new
Would you get baptised merely for the Catholic fellowship?
Jan 26 new
At the risk of seeming thick: I suggest we need more clarity here. What is meant by 'marry solely for companionship'? does that mean no sex? or marrying without intent to have children? or.....?
Jan 26 new
I think you have to ask yourself why you want to get married. You can have companionship via friendships...marriage is a sacrament forming a union between a man and a woman before God. To marry solely for companionship (my interpretation being that you want someone to share your life with) is not a viable reason for a marriage. If it is just the fear of getting older and not wanting to be alone, then friendship is the way to go...friends make great companions...you do not have to marry someone just for the sake of having someone to spend time with, grow old with, and have fun with.


Jan 26 new
(quote) Maria-1022025 said: I think you have to ask yourself why you want to get married. You can have companionship via friendships...marriage is a sacrament forming a union between a man and a woman before God. To marry solely for companionship (my interpretation being that you want someone to share your life with) is not a viable reason for a marriage. If it is just the fear of getting older and not wanting to be alone, then friendship is the way to go...friends make great companions...you do not have to marry someone just for the sake of having someone to spend time with, grow old with, and have fun with.


Please instruct me -- wanting to have someone to share your life with is not a viable reason for marriage? How come? (assuming that 'share your life with' is interpreted broadly)
Jan 26 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Please instruct me -- wanting to have someone to share your life with is not a viable reason for marriage? How come? (assuming that 'share your life with' is interpreted broadly)
My reasoning for that statement is that marriage is more than just someone to share your life with. Marriage is about love, if possible to have children, and raise them. Sharing your life can be done with anyone, though in marriage there is the element of intimacy.
Jan 26 new
(quote) Maria-1022025 said: My reasoning for that statement is that marriage is more than just someone to share your life with. Marriage is about love, if possible to have children, and raise them. Sharing your life can be done with anyone, though in marriage there is the element of intimacy.
After a certain age, the subject of children no longer comes into play.

After a number of years, some marriages are just a comfortable, familiar companionship, as the spouses no longer actively work on the marriage and simply coast.

God has given us the ideal that marriage is meant to achieve. Not all will achieve that height, but it is something to strive for.

When marriages were arranged, oftentimes there was no companionship developed prior to the wedding--couples might have made their first meeting there at the altar. If those were sacramental marriages, the couple needed to work hard at becoming friends, loving each other, etc. But how many of these marriages were truly sacramental?
Jan 26 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: At the risk of seeming thick: I suggest we need more clarity here. What is meant by 'marry solely for companionship'? does that mean no sex? or marrying without intent to have children? or.....?
Hi Paul! From what I understand through reading the forums (I am no church theologian), two people can have a sacramental marriage without sex. And, at certain ages, biological children are no longer an option. Let's say that all other parts of the marriage were "traditional." Then, would you consider marrying solely for companionship? (For clarity, this question was posed based on a hypothetical discussion between close male and female friends.)
Posts 1 - 10 of 90