Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I'm seeing some women on this site who say they would not want to get to know me because I have never been married. Thee seems to be an old stereotype about a guy in my position as not being open to commitment. Women who judge like this could not be more wrong.

I've been busy with LIFE. I have had a good career teaching abroad. I have met and spent time in different cultures and appreciated those differences. Sure, I would like to have been married earlier but honestly did not find the right woman and no, I would not "settle" for a poor match. I'm not into looks nearly as much as the average man, and love women for who they are, not trying to make them over into something else.

I will say that I am from Ohio. States like this (Indiana, Pennsylvania, other Northern industrial) which have borne the brunt of the loss of manufacturing jobs hold no real interest for me because of the winter weather and a general malaise about life that I often see, such as people's comments about "there ain't no jobs". I don't want to go back and take a low-paying customer service job either. I had one in a large bank and hated it because of all the lying I had to do over the phone to people who were struggling, forced to by the bank's policies.

No, I am not bitter, but I have lived in this kind of environment for years. During short breaks in my teaching, I have gone "home" and literally struggled because employers couldn't translate my work experiences into something that offered them a good employee, only looking at the escapist idea that I couldn't work in the USA so I went overseas. The job I have now pays the best ever, but it's in Saudi Arabia. I'm paying off debt, trying to be in line financially and spiritually. I'd wish for women to look at that resolve, not the fact I've never been married, tosee me as worthy.

Any thoughts?

Jan 27 new
(quote) Andrew-1045895 said:

I'm seeing some women on this site who say they would not want to get to know me because I have never been married. Thee seems to be an old stereotype about a guy in my position as not being open to commitment. Women who judge like this could not be more wrong.

I've been busy with LIFE. I have had a good career teaching abroad. I have met and spent time in different cultures and appreciated those differences. Sure, I would like to have been married earlier but honestly did not find the right woman and no, I would not "settle" for a poor match. I'm not into looks nearly as much as the average man, and love women for who they are, not trying to make them over into something else.

I will say that I am from Ohio. States like this (Indiana, Pennsylvania, other Northern industrial) which have borne the brunt of the loss of manufacturing jobs hold no real interest for me because of the winter weather and a general malaise about life that I often see, such as people's comments about "there ain't no jobs". I don't want to go back and take a low-paying customer service job either. I had one in a large bank and hated it because of all the lying I had to do over the phone to people who were struggling, forced to by the bank's policies.

No, I am not bitter, but I have lived in this kind of environment for years. During short breaks in my teaching, I have gone "home" and literally struggled because employers couldn't translate my work experiences into something that offered them a good employee, only looking at the escapist idea that I couldn't work in the USA so I went overseas. The job I have now pays the best ever, but it's in Saudi Arabia. I'm paying off debt, trying to be in line financially and spiritually. I'd wish for women to look at that resolve, not the fact I've never been married, tosee me as worthy.

Any thoughts?

Well Andrew I will be the first to say that I don't reject men who have never been married because I am a woman who has never been married. If I did it would be a double standard. However, I think we women who have never been married have the same problem. I am not quite sure whether people think we have some sort of disease or whether we are not able to have a normal relationship or what?

I will be interested in the responses you get to your post.
Jan 27 new
very warm welcome Andrew to the fora smile wave

It is so wonderful to see that you, a man, share about the frustration and complicate women ... oh, women all they do is complaint and be dramatic ... don't understand them or even wish to ... lack of better word maybe they have a difficult time trying to figure out what they want ... maybe start of with a shopping list ... IDK, maybe one day i will and share it ...

didn't someone say it is hard to be a Catholic more so to be single... yes, i do admire the men who have sacrifice so much for their family as it is written ... take care of your parents in their years ... love, respect, honor ....

so I am confused where are you in OH or Saudi Arabia or both ... that is interesting ....

hug Praying rosary theheart rose rose rose
Jan 27 new

Any thoughts?

Hi Andrew,

I am not sure why some women will reject the never married. I suspect there are some men who likewise will reject never married women. We were just talking in another thread about whether or not a widowed status scares potential suitors away. . .

I suspect there is something wrong with everyone lol. . .

But, for me, I am completely open to never married, widowed, annulled because I have no idea where or if there is another guy out there for me, but I am more than willing to let God guide me and I suspect he will be somewhere I hadn't thought of looking.
Jan 27 new
If they judge you, they are not the one for you. You deserve to be accepted for who you are. Keep looking.
Jan 27 new

Any thoughts?

Andrew, you seem like a man who has lived life giving and exploring the world. I am going to tell you something, my great uncle was a teacher too, he married in his 40s to a woman who had been about to be a nun and changed her mind, she was her age. You must have plenty of stories to tell. You say you have been holding out for someone, and that tells a lot about your character, you are patient, trusting and hopeful. Besides, I am sure he would have plenty of stories to tell!
Jan 28 new

Okay, I have put on my armor and picked up my shield here before replying.

Why would they reject you? Because they are stupid. irked

But seriously, folks...I suspect that in your situation (which is unusual and a little awkward) they simply cannot think of any other excuse that you cannot argue away.

Hang in there, kiddo. You're a good one. hug

Jan 28 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Because they are stupid.

does that mean i have to sit at the bus stop bench and oh is someone going to be kind and give me a box of sees candy ... biggrin wink crossfingers
Jan 28 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Okay, I have put on my armor and picked up my shield here before replying.

Why would they reject you? Because they are stupid.

But seriously, folks...I suspect that in your situation (which is unusual and a little awkward) they simply cannot think of any other excuse that you cannot argue away.

Hang in there, kiddo. You're a good one.

Marge - EXACTLY what I was thinking! wink (Didn't have the guts to post it tho - I've seen some of the attacks here when folks get going.....you're a braver Pinkie than moi. laughing cool hug )

No wonder so many folks (men and women both) are complaining about not being able to connect with someone else - rejections are going on right and left before anyone even MEETS! Oy vey!! rolling eyes
Jan 28 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: does that mean i have to sit at the bus stop bench and oh is someone going to be kind and give me a box of sees candy ...
laughing
Posts 1 - 10 of 65