Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Driving 30 t0 40000 miles a year I have seen hundreds of Crosses along the highways depicting a location that an unfortunate individual met his demise. Over the years I have tossed a Hail Mary to them out of respect and have gotten to know many of them by their first names as I pass them many times.

I have come to know David, Noland, Sarah, Michael, Peter, and Stephany and as I pass them I suggest they find my loved ones and show them the ropes in the Heavenly Garden.

Just was interested if you say a little prayer for them and if not would not it be a wonderful thing to do?

Have a great day and God love

Philip

Jan 28th 2014 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said:

Driving 30 t0 40000 miles a year I have seen hundreds of Crosses along the highways depicting a location that an unfortunate individual met his demise. Over the years I have tossed a Hail Mary to them out of respect and have gotten to know many of them by their first names as I pass them many times.

I have come to know David, Noland, Sarah, Michael, Peter, and Stephany and as I pass them I suggest they find my loved ones and show them the ropes in the Heavenly Garden.

Just was interested if you say a little prayer for them and if not would not it be a wonderful thing to do?

Philip

Personally don't like to the crosses or make shift memorials all over the highways. My Mother died in her own home, but there is not memorial erected on her behalf. She is in the cemetary. What about all the people that have been killed in mall shootings, are memorials erected for them. Better yet, what about all of our military men and women that have been killed in wars all over the world, etc, etc. All of these people will be remembered, no memorial is required. I do not say anything when I see these make shift memorials. The people they represent are no where in site. I do think it is sad and terrible that they probably died in a car accident, but I see no diffence in them and some one I see in the newspaper that has died.
Jan 28th 2014 new

Philip

One other comment. These individuals had no time to prepare for death. I have prayed for their soles including all those who have died. It just reminds us the go to confession often, keep your house in order, and only worry about keeping your side of the street clean.

Thank you for the topic Philip.
Jan 28th 2014 new
It is a sad sight to behold. I've also seen a bicycle tied to a pole with flowers. It's nice to say a prayer for the victim(s).

Also, for me, it serves as a warning to motorists and cyclists to be cautious and slow down possibly; speeding could be a problem, it could be a dangerous intersection, a blind spot, problem with icy roads, etc.
Jan 28th 2014 new

Philip

I say prayers for them and I believe that as these victims want us to put them in our prayers and want this tradition of ours to continue on as a loving reminder to drive safe. Additionly I believe they are praying along with Holy Mary, the Saints, Arch Angels and our Gardian Angels for our sake that it is is not put to a stop by some liberal who would find it offensive to some Non-Christian Americans driving by.
Jan 28th 2014 new
One of these "memorials" is about a hundred yards from my house. After awhile they deteriorate and fade away, forgotten by the victim's family. They are in my opinion an inappropriate way to memorialize the dead. I think it's only the last several generations that practice this- a relatively new phenomenon.
Jan 28th 2014 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: It is a sad sight to behold. I've also seen a bicycle tied to a pole with flowers. It's nice to say a prayer for the victim(s).

Also, for me, it serves as a warning to motorists and cyclists to be cautious and slow down possibly; speeding could be a problem, it could be a dangerous intersection, a blind spot, problem with icy roads, etc.
They are called, "ghost bikes:"

ghostbikes.org
Jan 28th 2014 new
Many state DOTs will create a professional memorial sign for you, e.g. in Virginia you can get a sign that says "Drive safely in memory of _____."

www.virginiadot.org

Jan 28th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: They are called, "ghost bikes:"

http://ghostbikes.org/howto
Sadly there can be MANY of these "ghost bikes" can be found at tight intersections...

In our Sunshine State because we have hospitable climate--- we have many bicycling teams of all ages in our very "exercise for wellness " environment...coupled with gas prices what they are...and many big college towns bicycling is HUGE here...

If you have not seen one, I will tell you the visual impact of a totally white wrapped bicycle with lovely flowers at the handlebar....no signs...no names...not a single word...it calls out to you without a word...hauntingly...but not with that of a spectre....it calls out a big reminder of the fragility of life.
Jan 29th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: They are called, "ghost bikes:"

http://ghostbikes.org/howto

Peter:

That was interesting, but I never have seen them before. The person writing the

article said that where he was, and referred to NYC. I have never seen one of

those bikes in NYC, nor up here in Westchester county. I do see the crosses

and the memorials though.

Posts 1 - 10 of 29