Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Dear Friends in Christ,

I met a very vocal Buddhist today, who told me he was brought up a Catholic, but has embraced Buddhism as his Religion. (Think he had a very negative Catholic experiance) We had a discussion which turned heated as he kept trying to make me say, my opinion must be for MYSELF alone and NOT for everyone.

Suffice to say I refused to agree with him and I said "when you sincerely seek the Truth, you will find it" and that I wouldn't withhold the Truth just because it's my personal journey. I will probably have to see this man again.

Best way to deal with him?
Feb 04 new
(quote) Elizabeth-979164 said: Best way to deal with him?
Prayer and sacrifice.

Feb 04 new

Greetings All

Probably the most important thing to remember is "never argue Religion or Politics"

Having said that each of us must consider that we feel that our Religion is the best, biggest and most truthful. Think for a moment that He/She might have the same opinion of their Religion. "And then the fight began"

Assume for a moment that you are driving from New York to LA and your car needs a new set of tires. You buy one tire at Goodyear, One at General, one at Michelene and one at Firestone. You start driving at the same time and arrive at LA at exactly the same time. Wow! How did that happen? All four tires arrived at the same time.

Now exchange the tires for any religion, Catholic, Lutheran, Budist and Coptic. Do you all not arrive at LA at the same time? I use that example to show that Religion is merely a vehicle for any of us to seek the Heavens with our Individual God, whatever or whomever that God may be. We all will arrive at the same time.

Keeping in mind that it is only our individual FAITH in our specific Religion that will serve us and assist us to meet the goal of Heaven. His and our faith are based upon the delivered Truth handed down through the eons. If he believes, bless him for having a Faith that he can be happy with. To try and gouge him from his faith is sacriligious. Should he ask, then he has opened a door for dialogue. Now you can discuss our Religion as you see it. That would be most kind and gracious.

He then can accept your beliefs or not. That is what faith is all about. Free Will and comprehension of dogmas coupled with culture and education. Should he not believe in the Catholic Church and if he does in fact believe in Budism there should be no confrintation. Only joy and happiness for him and his faith.

God of whatever one believes Bless all

Philip

Feb 04 new
(quote) Elizabeth-979164 said: We had a discussion which turned heated as he kept trying to make me say, my opinion must be for MYSELF alone and NOT for everyone.

But if that's true, then his own opinion (the words you just quoted from him) must ALSO just be for himself alone and not for everyone. In other words, his denial of a universal truth is not an effective denial, because it too would be only a statement true 'just for himself alone'. He destroys his own position in the moment of articulating it.
That said, I doubt you will get far with him by means of argument. Jerry's "prayer and sacrifice" sounds right. I would only add - and if you are going to be within his sight, you will show him a Christian who is very unlike the ones he enountered in his earlier 'negative experiences'.
Feb 04 new
Given that you believe he had such a negative experience with Catholicism in his past, probably the best thing you can do to change his heart and mind is 1) pray for him and 2) be the best, most joyful, most awesome Catholic in his life.

Our most recent popes have very rightly said that our world is transformed by truth and by beauty, but when truth is muddled, beauty remains. If your life is an amazing Christian witness, you can start to change his mind about what being Catholic is really about. And in the meantime, you arm yourself with all the right information about all the things he believes wrongly about, because I'm sure we have all experienced those former Catholics who believe that they are the most informed Catholics in the world but really know nothing about their faith at all.

If you, through your faithful witness, can help provide the Holy Spirit that crack in the door of his heart then he will start to ask you questions about things he has experienced in the past. Then it's your job to answer in the most loving and pastoral way possible while still being faithful to the Truth and the Church's teachings. It's a tough road to walk but if we err on the side of loving both the man and the Truth, the Spirit will help us find the way.

The frustrating thing is how LONG it takes, when we want one conversation to fix it all. But it rarely works that way, and it usually isn't a one man job either. But do your part to be the Holy Spirit's messenger, and the rest will come!
Feb 04 new
(quote) Elizabeth-979164 said: Dear Friends in Christ,

I met a very vocal Buddhist today, who told me he was brought up a Catholic, but has embraced Buddhism as his Religion. (Think he had a very negative Catholic experiance) We had a discussion which turned heated as he kept trying to make me say, my opinion must be for MYSELF alone and NOT for everyone.

Suffice to say I refused to agree with him and I said "when you sincerely seek the Truth, you will find it" and that I wouldn't withhold the Truth just because it's my personal journey. I will probably have to see this man again.

Best way to deal with him?
I heard Patrick Madrid from Immaculate heart comment on a subject such as this when the call came through the radio station.

I liked the way Patrick articulated himself in communicating to this individual in regard to an atheist. He always said, first you must win the person over by spending quality time with the individual, talk about casual things, places they've been to the work they do for a living, etc. Basically, build a relationship with them where you win them over by listening intently.

Religion is a touchy subject, one that has caused wars and continues wars. I don't think anyone can change ones opinion, thoughts or ideas with their own set of beliefs. It's a "personal" journey that each of us strives for, some take longer then others, others decide never to venture out into the waters, some figure it out on their death bed.

I know we as women can be a little guilty at wanting to "fix" things, situations or people. But it will never happen and the best we can do is plant seeds, behave in such a way that the other person wants what you have, but cannot articulate that for himself or herself till he arrives at his or her own destination.

Next time you see him, just give him a big hello, wave
sharon
Feb 04 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Prayer and sacrifice.

This ^^^^^^^

Truth cannot be received when one chooses to reject it.

Feb 04 new
Very good points Sharon. I like Patrick Madrid too; he's a solid apologist.
Feb 05 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said:

Greetings All

Probably the most important thing to remember is "never argue Religion or Politics"

Having said that each of us must consider that we feel that our Religion is the best, biggest and most truthful. Think for a moment that He/She might have the same opinion of their Religion. "And then the fight began"

Assume for a moment that you are driving from New York to LA and your car needs a new set of tires. You buy one tire at Goodyear, One at General, one at Michelene and one at Firestone. You start driving at the same time and arrive at LA at exactly the same time. Wow! How did that happen? All four tires arrived at the same time.

Now exchange the tires for any religion, Catholic, Lutheran, Budist and Coptic. Do you all not arrive at LA at the same time? I use that example to show that Religion is merely a vehicle for any of us to seek the Heavens with our Individual God, whatever or whomever that God may be. We all will arrive at the same time.

Keeping in mind that it is only our individual FAITH in our specific Religion that will serve us and assist us to meet the goal of Heaven. His and our faith are based upon the delivered Truth handed down through the eons. If he believes, bless him for having a Faith that he can be happy with. To try and gouge him from his faith is sacriligious. Should he ask, then he has opened a door for dialogue. Now you can discuss our Religion as you see it. That would be most kind and gracious.

He then can accept your beliefs or not. That is what faith is all about. Free Will and comprehension of dogmas coupled with culture and education. Should he not believe in the Catholic Church and if he does in fact believe in Budism there should be no confrintation. Only joy and happiness for him and his faith.

God of whatever one believes Bless all

Philip

Hello Philip.

I am beginning to think that you truly intend well (although I am not quite there yet - just the doubting rational part of me - a flaw perhaps), but your examples continue to make no sense to me. The tire analogy seriously misleads.

The Catholic Church does not just present another religion and others are it's equals. You want us to think we are all headed to the same place, but in reality we are not. Sure, sometimes Catholic drivers take us places not instructed, so we need to stay informed.

If it were that other faiths/religions (like unique tires or vehicles that end up in the same place) really are as you present (all well and just as good), others would reciprocate in kind; but they don't. Instead they rip at the Church at whatever part will lend itself for them to tear down. The world's many roads are littered with broken vehicles and stranded passengers.

If you were correct with your tire analogy, you would see Protestants, Buddhists, etc regularly attending Catholic events and services where nothing but Catholic teaching is presented... going along for the ride, if you will. But how much of that do we really see? It is practically non-existent! It happens only it seems when a lost soul is genuinely searching the reliable ride... the full truth... the Way and the Life.

How many ride offers are presented, yet choosy prospects decline, and decline and decline?

So, we just need to stay true to Christ and His teachings presented to us through the Church. He continues to guide the Church (one and only) by the Holy Spirit from the time He founded His Church.

I mean, it's nonsense even to go NY to LA with four brands of tires on the same vehicle. It is highly probable we won't get there. Yes, seriously! I mean, even in that situation (four brands of tires), how many people think that is ok for the car? I submit, only those who don't give it much thought and trust just about anybody at face value. So, let's take a closer look! The slight differences in specifications (difference in circumference of the tire alone... yes there is areal difference) would ruin the treads and the bearings in the car and it wouldn't deliver the passengers to LA at all, regardless of the hand-waving to the contrary. The vehicle would break down somewhere along the way! Just recall why the car makers tell us not to drive with the spare tire for long, but just long enough to get the car in the shop. That is, the less the better! It's a spare that is different than the rest, which are the same. A real smart vehicle driver keeps a spare tire that is in full conformity to the others specified for that vehicle on it or in it at all times. One won't leave the spare somewhere else, would one? How smart would that be?

Is it not strange how any one of us would follow the warranty instructions of a vehicle manufacturer because we don't want to void the warranty, but we won't follow the instructions of our own Maker? Where is the sense in that?!

Simply put, Catholics (or others) would be foolish to think that we are saved by faith alone or that all end up in heaven or that we know better than the Church. God set it up! And we can do better!!!??? No.

Not all end up in heaven. Recall the recent translation correction in the sacrifice of the Mass alone (for those that go) ... for "many" not "all". That "many" is not even an assurance that it is "the majority" of humanity. It just means "many".

There is a hell and people do end up there. So please do not tell us we all will see heaven, as your analogy implies. I repeat it because it's needed: not everyone ends up in heaven. That is not what Christ taught and there is plenty of back-up for that in just Scripture alone.

Yes Christ died and forgives all who seek it and then intend to live in conformity to His instruction, regardless of past sins, but repeated sins (un-absolved) against the Holy Spirit are not forgiven. We are aware of that, are we not? It is especially relevant to those of us that know better... yet, reject and reject and reject, like the obstinate Pharisee... or the other five varieties.

Feb 05 new
I confess that my jaw dropped at the suggestion that all religions are equal and that all lead to Heaven. This reduces Catholicism to a fashion statement.

Posts 1 - 10 of 122