There are several options - often the easiest to implement is unfortunately also the hardest for some to get used to.
- Easiest - changing your browser to anything other than IE (such as Chrome or Firefox) will often make the majority of scripting problems go away. - Getting used to a different browser is often the hardest part of this fix.
- Next option is to see if "Compatibility View" is turned off in Internet Explorer:
- It seems from the User Agent string that you are getting that you are using IE8.
- I will thus assume you are possible/probably using Windows XP
- Thus in the right hand side of the address bar of the browser their should be an icon that allows you to toggle between Compatibility View being On or Off - you want to make sure it is off, and see if the problems automatically go away.
- Going to a newer version of IE (preferably IE10 or IE 11) will also provide less of a headache much of the time, problem being if you are using Windows XP - highest you can update to is IE8.
It is important to note that changing browser or changing compatibility viewwill not make ALL problems go away, but it does make the more serious errors disappear from my experience not only her on CM but on MANY websites these days.
It is also important to note that even though one has made NO changes to their computer themselves, things like automatic updates by the computer itself (if configured to allow them) can often be the source of new problems that did not appear prior to an update. So while it often appears that a change on the website one is viewing is the cause of new problems - sometimes
it is not the fault of either the viewer or the website - but other automatic/silent updates of ones computer behind the scenes.
That being their have been a LOT of new design elements incorporated within CM recently in order to provide a richer experience to ALL members of all devices. And their are problems that arise when such changes are rolled out.
In regards to better helping you trouble shoot the problem:
- Does the error occur on every page?
- Or maybe just every page within a certain portion of CM such as here in the forums but not on other parts of the website?
- Or is it always the same page that causes the problem - but other pages do not?
- Is the Browser you are using IE8? and the Operating System Windows XP?
Hopefully some of the information will either help you in the problem going away, or providing more info will assist myself and others here in helping you along further in eradicating the scripting error.