Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Women Fighter Pilots

Feb 8th 2014 new
Laura Wood, at The Thinking Housewife, has a little piece titled "The Not-So-Great Beginnings of Women Fighter Pilots": www.thinkinghousewife.com
So how do CM members feel about women in this or other combat roles?
Feb 8th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Laura Wood, at The Thinking Housewife, has a little piece titled "The Not-So-Great Beginnings of Women Fighter Pilots": http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/page/2/

Paul

Personally I feel it is pathetic as it is one more attempt by women "to take on the guys role" in the name of feminism. We are equal but are created differently (no brainer) and combat is something that we women are not "wired" to do because our very nature is to mother and nurture.

Feb 8th 2014 new
I believe that there are some women very much in touch with their masculine, aggressive side and less attuned to their feminine, nurturing side. So as long as they have the knowledge, skills, and motivation, what is the big deal?
Feb 8th 2014 new
That there are some women very much in touch with their masculine, aggressive side and less attuned to their feminine, nurturing side?

Shouldn't they be talking to you in your line of work?

Feb 8th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: That there are some women very much in touch with their masculine, aggressive side and less attuned to their feminine, nurturing side?

Shouldn't they be talking to you in your line of work?

Please don't be cross, Paul, but Roystan has crossed topics. Please clarify who is "they" and why you think "they" should be talking to me.
Feb 8th 2014 new
Paul is busy being worried about China. Like the archangel Michael fighting the devil, it may be a while before he gets here.

'They' are the women less attuned to their feminine side, as you have mentioned. Can you repair them so they will become more attuned to their feminine side and give up this idea of killing people as the preferred way of contributing to Social Security?

Incidentally, aren't most of these women likely to be, in reflection of the general political values of those who serve in the military, conservative? Why would they be breaking out of the traditional role modelling of women, as Kristin has mentioned, as nurturers rather than negaters of life?
Feb 8th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Laura Wood, at The Thinking Housewife, has a little piece titled "The Not-So-Great Beginnings of Women Fighter Pilots": http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/page/2/
I didn't read the article, but have a few comments none the less :-).

I think there are those who are quite capable -- male or female -- to take on combat roles. And, most women when faced with protecting those they love are more than capable of doing so with frightening ferocity.

Historically, women have often trained and fought. Very common among the Celts and the Norse and the Picts. On the Russian Steppes graves uncovered and originally thought to be male warriors were found to be female.

I think the way our culture is organized and how our military is structured -- definite problems can arise if differences in male and female are not considered in staffing, etc. I have heard it said that one of the biggest concerns with this is that males of our culture are distracted by women in the field - torn between protecting them and letting them do their job as any other soldier. I suspect there is some truth to this.

I think women's strengths lie most often elsewhere, but I do not think they are unable to master the techniques nor the art of war.
Feb 8th 2014 new
I guess it's the principle of whether women should kill. (The occasions of self-defence and defence of vulnerable ones in immediate danger are rare enough not to affect the principle).

The historical record shows the existence of women warriors but what this physical record doesn't show (as with the debate over the literal truth of the Genesis story) is the acceptance in faith of the spiritual truth that all humans are fallen. So we've found the graves of female warriors? So what? A principle is a principle. Does it exist? Has it been violated by well-meaning women?
Feb 8th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: I guess it's the principle of whether women should kill. (The occasions of self-defence and defence of vulnerable ones in immediate danger are rare enough not to affect the principle).

The historical record shows the existence of women warriors but what this physical record doesn't show (as with the debate over the literal truth of the Genesis story) is the acceptance in faith of the spiritual truth that all humans are fallen. So we've found the graves of female warriors? So what? A principle is a principle. Does it exist? Has it been violated by well-meaning women?
Why should the principle be whether or not women should kill? Or is it a gender related question -- the social role of warrior intimating a masculine social persona and role? Rather than the culturally traditional (primarily for Western culture) that women must be nurturers and helpless? Is the question rather seeing women in positions of power that are articulated via physical prowess and a trained mind toward war and battle is unsettling or are they truly physically and faithfully incapable of such a social role? Even the bible speaks of women killing. . .
Feb 9th 2014 new
Good points, Lauren. But, do we want a principle that women should not kill? The material for drawing out such a principle may not exist in the Old Testament because Mary the mother of Jesus is a New Testament, the New Dispensation, person, the new Eve, in fact. Revelation is continuing and the cult of what a woman should be could be constructed from theologians reflecting upon Mary.

Do we want such a principle? If we do, there are no obstacles to creating one.

As for what culture shows women did or are capable of doing, culture is just a record of what fallen people got up to. Theology can construct a picture of how a redeemed people should look. Theology can fly out of the reach of the hand/s of culture. Or out of the reach of the hands of sociobiology.
Posts 1 - 10 of 46