Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

The future of NFL defenses

Feb 9th 2014 new
Do you see more of a trend for teams to build their offense around the Seattle model? (i.e. ball-control offense, a solid rushing attack, an efficient QB and "enough" receiving?) On defense, the Hawks use a one-gap 4-3 or 4-2-5 nickel and their secondary can lay the wood like Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater of years past.

With the big nickel defense, teams will be able to go 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, but their DBs will be big enough to play man vs. the big WRs and TEs like Denver (Thomas, Thomas and Decker).

The Hawks won using 21 personnel (2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR) and most teams use 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) like the Broncos.

The 1990 Giants beat the 1990 Bills in the same way. The Bills were in 11 personnel a "bunch" of the time (Thurman Thomas, Keith McKeller and the 3 wideouts of Beebe, Lofton and Reed). The Giants were not great but efficient on offense and the defense was seriously good. Banks, Reasons, Carson, Pepper Johnson. Leonard Marshall and Jim Burt at DE and NT, respectively.

What's your thoughts?

Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Josh-196444 said: Do you see more of a trend for teams to build their offense around the Seattle model? (i.e. ball-control offense, a solid rushing attack, an efficient QB and "enough" receiving?) On defense, the Hawks use a one-gap 4-3 or 4-2-5 nickel and their secondary can lay the wood like Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater of years past.

With the big nickel defense, teams will be able to go 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, but their DBs will be big enough to play man vs. the big WRs and TEs like Denver (Thomas, Thomas and Decker).

The Hawks won using 21 personnel (2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR) and most teams use 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) like the Broncos.

The 1990 Giants beat the 1990 Bills in the same way. The Bills were in 11 personnel a "bunch" of the time (Thurman Thomas, Keith McKeller and the 3 wideouts of Beebe, Lofton and Reed). The Giants were not great but efficient on offense and the defense was seriously good. Banks, Reasons, Carson, Pepper Johnson. Leonard Marshall and Jim Burt at DE and NT, respectively.

What's your thoughts?

Very good assessment Josh. As long as DB personnel have the speed to go with the size many would go that route.

Each NFL team is structured with the type of personnel they have to utilize. Although many teams will try to go after some of the Hawks with the talents they possess.

Usually when prognosticators, bookies, analysts etc break down games...they look at the matchups. WHO will match up with who. In which case that 4-2-5 may not work with say a Witten, Gonzales....or a Jimmy Graham. (except with those huge DB's at Seattle one or two can "cheat up" and cover them.)

I am old school 4-3. I still believe in "up-field" pressure. (easier said than done with Russell Wilson running around like a waterbug!!) I believe in speedy "flock to the ball" linebackers.

And in some cases just use the above combined with both zone and "man" coverage.

I thought Pete Carroll said something interesting the other day when asked about the difference in coaching in college and the pros.

This is not a quote but in effect is what he said: "They (the pros) are bigger, and faster but football STILL comes down to fundamentals...and execution."

Let's face it you should have the personnel....but they have to play well together too. And the Seahawks DO play well together.

Oh well, in answer to your question Josh....yes they will if they can get those kinds of players

When defensive coordinators look at those "defensive stats" the Seahawks came up with to be the number 1 defense....they WILL try to emulate them to a degree

Feb 10th 2014 new

Sorry Josh, did not address the offense.

Generally offenses are devised around the talent....and in some cases the youth of the QB. I think Russell Wilson plays within himself and is NOT asked to do a whole lot. As you've heard them say...he "manages" the game well. I do think offenses are not as interchangeable as defenses...because they can be so intricate.)

As time goes by he can and will do more. He has a good supporting cast though and he moves EXTREMELY well.

The tendency to go with more "mobile" quarterbacks has been going on for years. The problem is....if they run TOO much...they get hurt (i.e RG III with Washington)

Wilson reminds me of a guy many of our "old timers" here (like me) remember; Fran Tarkenton. (he was a master at keeping the play alive)

Oh.....and one other thing. He did not have a GREAT Super Bowl...but he did have a good season....and IS a beast at running back; Marshawn Lynch. Hard to find an NFL running back who can "drag" other NFL players...but I've seen him do it!!

Posts 1 - 3 of 3