Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Receiving Holy Communion

Feb 9th 2014 new

Hi Friends,

Why is it that some Catholics refuse to receive Holy Communion from a Eucharistic Minister? I do not want to judge, but I have seen many Communicants at MASS openly cross over aisles and pews to receive at the station where a priest is distributing. My late father was a Eucharistic Minister for ten years and I was a Eucharistic Minister for thirteen years. Any thoughts on this?

Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) John-874918 said:

Hi Friends,

Why is it that some Catholics refuse to receive Holy Communion from a Eucharistic Minister? I do not want to judge, but I have seen many Communicants at MASS openly cross over aisles and pews to receive at the station where a priest is distributing. My late father was a Eucharistic Minister for ten years and I was a Eucharistic Minister for thirteen years. Any thoughts on this?

First of all, let me say that I thank your father for his service to the Church in these difficult times.

That said, I am one of those that prefer to only receive for the priest or deacon if available. The simplest answer I can give for this is that an EMHC tends to, by their presence, blur the distinction between laity and clergy. Namely, it appears to grant orders to layman who do not have it, and removes the importance of the. Orders in the handljng of our Eucharistic Lord.

You might also (I hope) notice that many of the ljne-crossers receive on the tongue instead of on the hand. Both actions, taken together, are meant to express our discernment of the Body of Christ, and not as a snub of anyone.
Feb 10th 2014 new

Hi Friends,

Hello John,

I can't speak for others but for myself. If I haven't had an opportunity to go to confession, and believe I may have a moral sin, etc that needs confession, I won't go and here's why. We are not to eat his flesh in an unworthy manner.

Chapter of 1 Corinthians, Paul continues by saying, ""For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgment against tehmselves. For this reason many of you are weak and ill, and some have died." [1 Cor. 11:29-30] In other words, those who receive the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist in an unworthy manner, in a state of mortal sin, they can expect to be punished by God by illness or death.

Maybe others are just visiting the catholic church and we can't assume they are catholic. Maybe some are going through the RCIA classes to become catholic and haven't received the sacrament of communion. Maybe they just had surgery (one never knows) and they are in too much pain to get up. There are so many reasons why someone may not go, but the fact that they are their is a great YEAH!!!

Blessings,
Sharon
Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: Hello John,

I can't speak for others but for myself. If I haven't had an opportunity to go to confession, and believe I may have a moral sin, etc that needs confession, I won't go and here's why. We are not to eat his flesh in an unworthy manner.

Chapter of 1 Corinthians, Paul continues by saying, ""For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgment against tehmselves. For this reason many of you are weak and ill, and some have died." [1 Cor. 11:29-30] In other words, those who receive the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist in an unworthy manner, in a state of mortal sin, they can expect to be punished by God by illness or death.

Maybe others are just visiting the catholic church and we can't assume they are catholic. Maybe some are going through the RCIA classes to become catholic and haven't received the sacrament of communion. Maybe they just had surgery (one never knows) and they are in too much pain to get up. There are so many reasons why someone may not go, but the fact that they are their is a great YEAH!!!

Blessings,
Sharon
I'm sorry John,

I just re-read your post and missed the complete ball. Your question was why some won't take from a laity person, my apologies. My preference is to take it from a priest or deacon, and if my memory serves me right, I will not take communion in my hand but only on my tongue. I've had a few laity seem to be confused when I took it by my tongue, you could see it in there face and wanted to put it in my hand. I grew up receiving on my tongue and from a priest, and when the church started changing the laity to help along with female altar girls, I couldn't not get use to it, and still haven't.

I still agree a priest should be the only one to deliver that which is the holiest, God's flesh. Too early in the morning, better go have my coffee so I can read the posts correctly. My apologies :0)

blessings,
Sharon

sharon
Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: I'm sorry John,

I just re-read your post and missed the complete ball. Your question was why some won't take from a laity person, my apologies. My preference is to take it from a priest or deacon, and if my memory serves me right, I will not take communion in my hand but only on my tongue. I've had a few laity seem to be confused when I took it by my tongue, you could see it in there face and wanted to put it in my hand. I grew up receiving on my tongue and from a priest, and when the church started changing the laity to help along with female altar girls, I couldn't not get use to it, and still haven't.

I still agree a priest should be the only one to deliver that which is the holiest, God's flesh. Too early in the morning, better go have my coffee so I can read the posts correctly. My apologies :0)

blessings,
Sharon

sharon
I would not say the two are unrelated at all, and but arise from the same requirement, that is, to discern the Body of Christ.

I would say that it not only places a negative requirement against receiving in a state of Mortal Sin, but a positive requirement to align our actions and hearts to the awesome act of receiving our Eucharistic Lord in Holy Communion.

Both our interior and exterior actions should conform to the fact that this is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and not, as some songs call it, "sharing a meal." Sharing a meal is splitting the big steak with the person across the table from me at a restaurant, or (as I did a bit ago when I wrote this), sharing a lunch with someone I just met in the dinning car of a train.
Feb 10th 2014 new

Hi Friends,

Since I attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form, the question is a moot one for me; however, I woulld not receive from an Extraordinary Minister at Mass because in most parishes the Extraordinary Ministers are used illicitly. The Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum (tinyurl.com ) provides significant limitations -- which are often ignored -- on hen Extraordinary Ministers may be used to distribute Holy Communion *see paragraphs 146-160 especially; however, the entire document is worth reading).

Feb 10th 2014 new

Hi John,

People do not mean any offense to you personally when they do this. John Paul II said that only consecrated hands should touch the Sacred Species. Eucharistic ministers are actually Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. The ordinary ministers are priests and deacons. Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are only supposed to distribute the Sacred Species under extraordinary circumstances ie. unusual high attendance at Mass, for the homebound if there isn't a priest or deacon available. They are not supposed to be used on a regular basis. Cardinal Arinze has made this very clear--you can look it up on EWTN's website in the question/answer section.

Also, as mentioned above, many times the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion do not know how to or do not like to distribute the Sacred Host on a person's tongue. Sometimes they end up waving Him around in confusion or they scoff at people. I'm not saying that you ever did this. I've had it happen to me enough times that I try to receive from a priest or deacon to avoid any confusion.

Feb 10th 2014 new

Hi Friends,

Just to keep things straight.

No lay person has ever been, is now or will ever be a "Eucharistic Minister."

Only ordained deacons and priests are or can be "Eucharistic Minister."

Lay people may be "Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion."

Unfortunately, the use of lay people as Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion is the single most frequent abuse that exists in the church today.

As the proper title implies, using lay persons in this capacity should be relatively rare. Probably the main use should be in bringing the Eucharist to the shut-ins at home or in the hospital and nursing homes.

In parishes with only a single priest, it wouild make sense to use Extraordinary Minister to offer the Consecrated Wine, if that parish distributes Communion under both species.

Except as noted, unless the Parish is very large with large numbers attending Mass, there is no reason that a priest cannot distribute Communion by himself without adding a large amount of additional time to the Mass.

The use of Extraoridnary MInisters also contributes to one of the most unnecessary practices that has arisen. That of people who are not receiving going up to receive the blessing. This is a real unnecessary time waster.
In turn it fosters another abuse that goes hand in glove with it; the Extraordinary Ministers blessing these people in a manner only appropriate for a priest.

Unfortunately, this abuse of the Extraordinary Minsiters has become far to pervasive. The Church should really put a stop to it.
Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Just to keep things straight.

No lay person has ever been, is now or will ever be a "Eucharistic Minister."

Only ordained deacons and priests are or can be "Eucharistic Minister."

Lay people may be "Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion."

Unfortunately, the use of lay people as Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion is the single most frequent abuse that exists in the church today.

As the proper title implies, using lay persons in this capacity should be relatively rare. Probably the main use should be in bringing the Eucharist to the shut-ins at home or in the hospital and nursing homes.

In parishes with only a single priest, it wouild make sense to use Extraordinary Minister to offer the Consecrated Wine, if that parish distributes Communion under both species.

Except as noted, unless the Parish is very large with large numbers attending Mass, there is no reason that a priest cannot distribute Communion by himself without adding a large amount of additional time to the Mass.

The use of Extraoridnary MInisters also contributes to one of the most unnecessary practices that has arisen. That of people who are not receiving going up to receive the blessing. This is a real unnecessary time waster.
In turn it fosters another abuse that goes hand in glove with it; the Extraordinary Ministers blessing these people in a manner only appropriate for a priest.

Unfortunately, this abuse of the Extraordinary Minsiters has become far to pervasive. The Church should really put a stop to it.
Could the recent Polar Vortex have reached into Hell? This is the second time I think you've agreed with me on anything? wide eyed

But the thing is that the EMHC amounts, in practice, to a distinction without a difference that amounts to a liturgical abuse. It is an indult that should be undone immediately.
Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: But the thing is that the EMHC amounts, in practice, to a distinction without a difference that amounts to a liturgical abuse. It is an indult that should be undone immediately.
Right on. This bad practice should stop, for all the reasons everyone has already cited.
Posts 1 - 10 of 71