Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

People without photographs

Feb 11th 2014 new
Being somewhat new to this, could you please explain to me why it is that some people do not have a photo image of themselves in their profile?
Not being a computer person by any stretch of the imagination; even I was able to go to my local Office Depot and have the twenty-something put a photo of me on a disc whereb y I transferred the disc to my MAC and voila there appeared a picture of me on CM!
I did this within the first week of joining.
I do not like receiving potential matches where there is no photo.
We are after all visual creatures. God gave us eyes for a reason.
Is anyone else out there a little annoyed by this?
Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: Being somewhat new to this, could you please explain to me why it is that some people do not have a photo image of themselves in their profile?
Not being a computer person by any stretch of the imagination; even I was able to go to my local Office Depot and have the twenty-something put a photo of me on a disc whereb y I transferred the disc to my MAC and voila there appeared a picture of me on CM!
Some choose not to put them there for one or more of a variety of reasons, most of which are not related to the technical aspects of posting the photo; others may not have uploaded any photos that meet CM's requirements for the profile photo. If a member does not have a profile photo, you may want to check their album for the availability of other photographs.

While we can speculate as to why people make choices, the only way to get a meaningful answer is to ask the individual. You are, of course, free not to communicate with those who do not have photos posted.

There are many things in life that are annoying. In general we, and those around us, are much happier when we accept these annoyances with a smile and offer them up to God as a sacrifice rather than letting them bother us.

Feb 11th 2014 new
To put it like a kindergartener, if this is a match site to match a person with a potential spouse; don't most normal people desire to know what their potential spouse looks like
now? (within the past three years at least)
We all realize that people change physically--it's called aging.
They also change mentally, spiritually, emotionally
But love is not love which alters when it alteration finds. (Shakespeare, sonnet 116)

Again, permit me to repeat the question: why is it that some people don't post their photograph on this match site? Shouldn"t it be required?

Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: To put it like a kindergartener, if this is a match site to match a person with a potential spouse; don't most normal people desire to know what their potential spouse looks like
But love is not love which alters when it alteration finds. (Shakespeare, sonnet 116)

Again, permit me to repeat the question: why is it that some people don't post their photograph on this match site? Shouldn"t it be required?

Why not require them to post their incomes as well? Some people are more private than the average -- they'll send their picture to anyone who asks, but do not feel comfortable posting one for all and sundry to see.
Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: To put it like a kindergartener, if this is a match site to match a person with a potential spouse; don't most normal people desire to know what their potential spouse looks like

No, it shouldn't be required.

Those who choose not to post photos are more than likely aware of the implications of this choice: they can decide to either live with receiving fewer contacts, or they can decide they aren't receiving enough contacts and post a photo. (And funny how I can't recall anyone who hasn't posted a photo complaining about the lack of contacts.)

Those who want to see photos before initiating contact also have a choice: they can decide to ignore a profile without a photo or they can decide the profile is interesting enough to stretch their boundaries a little and contact someone who hasn't posted a photo and -- gasp! -- ask for one, if they absolutely can't live without it.

To each their own. Live and let live. Simple enough?

Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Why not require them to post their incomes as well? Some people are more private than the average -- they'll send their picture to anyone who asks, but do not feel comfortable posting one for all and sundry to see.

what he said.

if you don't wish to communicate with someone who does not have a profile pic, then don't.

Feb 11th 2014 new

There is a whole range of reasons why someone may not have a profile photo. When I first joined CM, I didn't have a photo posted either.

Internet dating was a learning experience for me. I was not very comfortable with posting my photos on the internet for a bunch of strangers to look at. There are lots of privacy concerns there, as I was self-conscious about internet dating, and I didn't want to endure ribbing. Some internet dating sites made me want to vomit, so I was glad I never posted my pictures in those places. I had no idea who could see my photos and who couldn't, as some sites didn't make it very clear. I had heard horror stories about scammers, and was to some extent afraid. I also did not want to be judged on my appearances, as I wanted to find someone who wanted to get to know me as a person because we had something in common. I wanted my written profile to actually be read before someone contacted me.

Over time, after looking at some CM profiles, and reading the posts in the forums, I became more comfortable with the CM atmosphere. A comment that I heard over and over in various ways was that people are more comfortable communicating with someone when they have an idea of what the person they are talking to looks like. So, I posted some scrapbook pictures at first, then after a while, a profile picture.

I don't think that people who don't post pictures are not "normal". In fact, over the time I have been on internet dating sites, there are some pretty abnormal people who post photos. Posting photos has nothing to do with being normal.

Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: Being somewhat new to this, could you please explain to me why it is that some people do not have a photo image of themselves in their profile?
Hello Celine,

I kind of questioned the same thing you are, however, I titled it as "ghosts" under the forum with the same questioning that you have. I could be funny at this point and say that maybe they live in caves, but if they lived in caves.....how are they receiving internet connections? LOL

Welcome to Catholic match, and I am sorry to make light of the subject and a subject that is on many members minds these days. I asked one fellow here on CM if he was under cover for the FBI, he never reciprocated his response in my email box. Hmmmm, it will always makes a person wonder. I think some of them are just here strictly for the forums? As to why they don't include a photo, wouldn't it be nice Celine if they stated why they don't put a photo?

happy valentines and welcome aboard. I hope it proves to be a positive and motivating experience for you,

Sharon
Feb 12th 2014 new

Celine:

We have gone back and forth internally as a a staff about this issue many many times. While we would be unlikely to ever force someone to post a photos we do think a reciprocity approach might work. Which means that if someone would not post a photo that over a period of time they would be able to see less or no photos of other members. This would give them the freedom to create their profile as they but also reward those members who are willing to do more. This approach could be applied to some other features as well. I suspect you will see us test some things like this in the coming year. In the mean time I would just encourage members to upload photos and put more effort into their profile as it is a benefit to both of you.
Feb 12th 2014 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: Celine:

We have gone back and forth internally as a a staff about this issue many many times. While we would be unlikely to ever force someone to post a photos we do think a reciprocity approach might work. Which means that if someone would not post a photo that over a period of time they would be able to see less or no photos of other members. This would give them the freedom to create their profile as they but also reward those members who are willing to do more. This approach could be applied to some other features as well. I suspect you will see us test some things like this in the coming year. In the mean time I would just encourage members to upload photos and put more effort into their profile as it is a benefit to both of you.
if i may add you could not be in the chat room unless you do have a profile pic ... also, some including myself would not have posted due to many of my personal situations, per se not a political job ...oh well that is life ... thank you sooo much Brian...
Posts 1 - 10 of 46