Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

For your consideration is an article recently placed on the New Liturgical Movement by one of the leaders in the Reform of the Reform movement. To distinguish carefully, this movement attempted to reform the ars celebrandi (art of celebration) of the Ordinary Form of the mass to align it as being an organic development of the mass as celebrated from the time of the Apostles.

www.newliturgicalmovement.org

Fr. Kocik is significant in this because he is a man whose love of the liturgy is at the center of his priesthood, and whose book, The Reform of the Reform? A Liturgical Debate (Ignatius Press, 2003), is a cogent and spirited defense of the Reform of the Reform movement.

In the decade since this work he has seen that the OF is deficient in more important ways than simply the canon options, but in:

1). the Offeratory prayers are often of modern composition, replacing organically developed prayers of centuries.
2). the abandonment of the ancient Roman cycle of readings in the lectionary with the three year cycle that divorces the readings from the collect and antiphons in the propers.
3). the radical recasting of the Calendar of Saints
4). the abolition of the Octave after Pentecost, the season of Septugesima and the weeks after Epiphany & Pentecost, replaced by "ordinary time"
5). the destruction of the structure of the Liturgy of the Hours

and more.

Fr. Kocik concludes that:

To draw the older and newer forms of the liturgy closer to each other would require much more movement on the part of the latter form, so much so that it seems more honest to speak of a gradual reversal of the reform (to the point where it once again connects with the liturgical tradition received by the Council) rather than a reform of it

In the meantime, improvements can be made here and there in the ars celebrandi of the Ordinary Form. But the road to achieving a sustainable future for the traditional Roman riteand to achieving the liturgical vision of Vatican II, which ordered the moderate adaptation of that rite, not its destructionis the beautiful and proper celebration, in an increasing number of locations, of the Extraordinary Form, with every effort to promote the core principle (properly understood) of full, conscious and active participation of the faithful(SC 14).
Feb 14th 2014 new
I think this is the same Father Kocik I see when I go to an evening Mass on the weekends in a nearby city. He's written a few books I think. His homily's are fascinating and usually very insightful.
Posts 1 - 2 of 2