Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Take a quick look at the Top 10 songs on iTunes today, and youll see all the usual suspects: Robin Thicke, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Eminem.

But take a second look, and you may notice a short little lullaby called Oh Sweet Lorraine thats currently the ninth most downloaded song in the country. Whered it come from?

Well, from an unlikely source: Fred Stobaugh, a 96-year-old Illinois man with no previous musical experience, who lost his wife of 73 years, Lorraine, in April. On a whim, the widower entered a songwriting contest that he saw advertised in a local paper with a love song hed written for his bride.

Green Shoe Studio, the company running the contest, couldnt accept his handwritten entry (the competition was digital-only), but they were so touched by his story that they decided to produce his song and a short documentary about it anyway. That video, which was posted in July, recently went viral, and the exposure has sent Oh Sweet Lorraine soaring up the charts.

She was just the prettiest girl I ever saw, Fred says of meeting Lorraine in 1938. Real timid-like. I just fell in love with her right there. The couple married in 1940 and had three children and four grandchildren. They would have celebrated their 73rd anniversary in June. After she passed away, I was just sitting in the front room one evening by myself, and it just came right to me, he says of his song. I just kept humming it and singing it. Thats how I came to write it. It just fit her.

The resulting song is simple, but thats the beauty of it. Oh sweet Lorraine, the chorus begins, I wish we could do all the good times over again. The song continues, Life only goes around once, but never again. Its heartbreaking, its beautiful, and it will make you cry. See for yourself in the clip below: click link and scroll down to view video :0)

Happy valentines day to all CM members,

Sharon

music-mix.ew.com

Feb 14th 2014 new
Hello Sharon,

i just watched your little clip and was so touched. I have a friend that just turned 100 on Christmas and he was devoted to his wife just like Fred. When I visit him, he always makes me his special coffee and he has a framed picture of his wife on the table. He always says that Vera is waiting for him but God must have more work for him to do. He is a brilliant man, loving and caring, putting God first in his life. He is my inspiration and I always tell him how wonderful he makes me feel by the end of our visit.

God bless!

Eileen
Posts 1 - 2 of 2