Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Are there any Myst fans on CM?

Feb 20th 2014 new
Hello everyone!

I know probably most of you won't know what I'm talking about but are there any Myst fans here on CM? For those of you who are unfamiliar, Myst was an old computer game that involved exploring an island and solving puzzles but most don't realize that it's much more than that. It has a really deep storyline and could be called a work of art with the beautiful worlds in it. The makers are a company in Spokane Washington called "Cyan". Rand Miller, the most well know founder happens to be a Christian and although the Myst storyline isn't explicit in its meaning (through all game content and novels), I have noticed it has an undertone of deep Christian symbolism not found elsewhere in gaming that I have seen. Some examples I have are: the ancient civilization of D'ni possibly representing Israel and the D'ni prophet know as "The Watcher" is Isiah. And so much more. If there is anyone who knows what I'm talking about on here I'd love to have a discussion. If you don't know but are curious, then Google Myst or Cyan and tell me what you think of it.
Feb 21st 2014 new
Hi Andy,

You hit my generation with that question. I ran that game back on Windows 3.1 I think, pretty sure that game predates Windows 95 anyway.

Great game. Played it's many sequels as well.

Back then though, I was not up with my faith as I am now. I guess I would have to play it again to pick out Christian themes. Thanks for the memory though.

Mark
Feb 22nd 2014 new
Hey Mark, thanks for responding :)
The biggest Christian references, I think, appear more in the newer games like Myst Online: Uru Live and Myst V: End of Ages and I don't know if you've played those but yeah, it's great.
Feb 22nd 2014 new
Oh, and by the way, Cyan is working on a new game called Obduction. You might want to check it out. It's their biggest new project since the Myst series.
Feb 22nd 2014 new
What I remember about Myst was the haunting New Age-y music; I wish I had a recording of it.
Feb 24th 2014 new
Yeah I love the music too. I actually have the soundtracks for all the games. Myst and Riven soundtracks were composed by Robyn Miller co-founder of Cyan along with his brother Rand (who is the main guy). Robyn also played Sirrus (guy in the red book). You can still purchase the soundtracks on iTunes and they came out with a newly remaster soundtrack of Myst including deleted tracks.
Feb 25th 2014 new
(quote) Andy-896770 said: Yeah I love the music too. I actually have the soundtracks for all the games. Myst and Riven soundtracks were composed by Robyn Miller co-founder of Cyan along with his brother Rand (who is the main guy). Robyn also played Sirrus (guy in the red book). You can still purchase the soundtracks on iTunes and they came out with a newly remaster soundtrack of Myst including deleted tracks.
Thanks, that's great to know! I'll look into it.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7