Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Does anyone know? I learned one version (early 80s), my sister learned a different version (late 70s) and I know that a different version is used now by a lot of people (at least based on the one posted in a local church's confessional....and no priest seems familiar with the version I know!)
I grew up in South Carolina but live in New York State now, and I'm sure that doesn't account for much, but I'm just curious how often the prayer has changed and so on.
Any info would be great!
Peace and love to all!
Tara
Feb 24th 2014 new
I am mostly familiar with two, though I primarily use the top one:

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of Thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.
Amen.

There aren't any particular words you have to say after confession though - any act of contrition - that is, any words that you say that express your sorrow and your resolve not to sin against God again - will do. We just have formulated words so that people don't have to think of their own every time. In many ways, coming up with your own would be more genuine and authentic but of course God understands our weaknesses and, as with the Our Father, is perfectly happy to provide us the adequate words to say with rote prayers

Feb 24th 2014 new
On another forum, we have a Topic: Daily Act of Contrition. Me and a few other Catholic guys have post many different versions over the last few years. I will start posting some of them here.

Feb 24th 2014 new
Father of mercy, like the prodigal son I return to You and say: "I have sinned against you and am no longer worthy to be called your son." Christ Jesus, Savior of the world, I pray with the repentant thief to whom You promised Paradise: "Lord, remember me in Your kingdom." Holy Spirit, fountain of love, I call on You with trust: "Purify my heart, and help me to walk as a child of light." Amen
Feb 24th 2014 new
For the times I lacked compassion and concern for others, forgive me Lord.
For not sharing my resources of time, talent, and treasure, forgive me Lord.
For holding grudges and refusing to have a forgiving heart, forgive me Lord.
For the times I have criticized and gossiped, forgive me Lord.
For not reaching out to comfort and console others, forgive me Lord.
For not caring for myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually, forgive me Lord.
For the ways I misuse nature and damage the environment, forgive me Lord.
For those times when I talked more than I listened, forgive me Lord.
For my prejudices, biases, and deliberate acts of discrimination, forgive me Lord.
For being greedy, forgive me Lord.
For the misuse and abuse of the wonderful gift of spirituality, forgive me Lord.
For failing to see Your Face in the homeless and helpless, forgive me Lord.
For believing that I could save myself, forgive me Lord.
For not living fully for You, forgive me Lord.
For doubting that You can and will forgive me unconditionally, forgive me Lord.
For doubting that You love me with an everlasting love, forgive me Lord.
Amen.

Feb 24th 2014 new
Merciful Father, I am guilty of sin.
I confess my sins before you and I am sorry for them.
Your promises are just;
therefore I trust that you will forgive me my sins
and cleanse me from every stain of sin.
Jesus Himself is the propitiation for my sins
and those of the whole world.
I put my hope in his atonement.
May my sins be forgiven through His Name,
and in His blood may my soul be made clean

Feb 27th 2014 new
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In His name, my God, have mercy.
Amen.

Mar 6th 2014 new
Behold me, O my God, at Your feet! I do not deserve mercy, but O my Redeemer, the blood with You have shed for me encourages me and obliges me to hope for it. How often I have offended You, repented, and yet have I again fallen into the same sin. O my God, I wish to amend, and in order to be faithful to You, I will place all my confidence in You. I will, whenever I am tempted, instantly have recourse to You. Until now, I have trusted in my own promises and resolutions and have neglected to recommend myself to You in my temptations. This has been the cause of my repeated failures. From this day forward, be You, O Lord, my strength, and this shall I be able to do all things, for I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Amen.
Mar 8th 2014 new
I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy apostles Peter and Paul, to all the saints, and to You, Father, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault (here strike your breast 3 times); therefore I beseech the blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy apostles Peter and Paul, all the saints, and You, Father, to pray to the Lord Our God for me. May God have mercy on me, forgive me my sins, and lead me to eternal life. Amen. Praying
Mar 8th 2014 new
(quote) Tara-166206 said: Does anyone know? I learned one version (early 80s), my sister learned a different version (late 70s) and I know that a different version is used now by a lot of people (at least based on the one posted in a local church's confessional....and no priest seems familiar with the version I know!)
I grew up in South Carolina but live in New York State now, and I'm sure that doesn't account for much, but I'm just curious how often the prayer has changed and so on.
Any info would be great!
Peace and love to all!
Tara
One could opine that ther are as many versions of an Act of Contrition as there are people who make an act of contrition. Most people will use a "standard" form, those with which we are most familiar, or one created at the moment by an individual.

For examplke, a simple, "I'm sorry!" addressed to God would constitute an act of contrition.

We could then endlessly go into a discussion of whether any particular act of Contrition was a perfect one or not. But the ultimate answer to that lies within the depths of the person's soul to which none of us have access as it is only God who can read that properly.
Posts 1 - 10 of 16