Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

www.nbcnews.com

What do you think about this?

Isn't stealing a sin?

Do you think he really did this?

Mar 6th 2014 new

www.msn.com

Here's his picture in purple.

Mar 6th 2014 new
Occasionally, one comes across a book or movie that is about a thing that moves from person to person. E Annie Proulx wrote about an accordion, I think there's a movie about a gun that does the rounds from person to person and there might have been a book about a monkey's paw.

Perhaps this article deserves a biography. It seems to have had, and now still has, a rich history 'listening' (so to speak) to the private thoughts of many people as they were being addressed to God. If it could speak, it might say, "I was there when ...." I guess that's what makes some memorabilia treasured more than others.

So, do you have anything that was there when they burned ole Dixie down?
Mar 6th 2014 new
My house was broken into last summer and the thief swiped my favorite rosary. The thief was only interested in cash and jewelry and the total value of what was taken was probably less than $20. I couldn't help but to think that maybe the thief needed the rosary more than I did. rosary
Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope-confesses-he-stole-priests-cross-casket-n45856

Isn't stealing a sin?

It reminds me of our ancient practice of taking items and pieces of clothing and or pieces of saint's themselves as relics. I suspect this was perfectly alright with the confessor and provides a tangible link between him and the world in which he worked. In a sense, that confessor continues in his ministry through the honor the pope bestows on this relic by making recourse to it to remind himself to be good and merciful.
Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Occasionally, one comes across a book or movie that is about a thing that moves from person to person. E Annie Proulx wrote about an accordion, I think there's a movie about a gun that does the rounds from person to person and there might have been a book about a monkey's paw.

Perhaps this article deserves a biography. It seems to have had, and now still has, a rich history 'listening' (so to speak) to the private thoughts of many people as they were being addressed to God. If it could speak, it might say, "I was there when ...." I guess that's what makes some memorabilia treasured more than others.

So, do you have anything that was there when they burned ole Dixie down?
Why is it always about the monkey's paw? Shouldn't equal time be given to the monkey's maw? Haw?
OK, I think you may be thinking of W.W. Jacob's classic story of the supernatural, "The Monkey's Paw", which you can read here: gaslight.mtroyal.ca
But the other classic story about an object that moves from person to person is R.L. Stevenson's "The Bottle Imp". The imp in the bottle will fulfil your wishes, but if you die in possession of it you will go to Hell, and the only way to get rid of it is to sell it to someone else for less than what you paid for it. Obviously, someone is going to get stuck with the bottle. Great story.

Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Why is it always about the monkey's paw? Shouldn't equal time be given to the monkey's maw? Haw?
OK, I think you may be thinking of W.W. Jacob's classic story of the supernatural, "The Monkey's Paw", which you can read here: http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/mnkyspaw.htm
But the other classic story about an object that moves from person to person is R.L. Stevenson's "The Bottle Imp". The imp in the bottle will fulfil your wishes, but if you die in possession of it you will go to Hell, and the only way to get rid of it is to sell it to someone else for less than what you paid for it. Obviously, someone is going to get stuck with the bottle. Great story.

Or like the bracelets and necklaces of the Kula Ring???
Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Or like the bracelets and necklaces of the Kula Ring???
nice parallel, though they're imp-less. On the Kula-trading culture, Wikipedia notes: "However, strong social obligations and the cultural value system, in which liberality is exalted as highest virtue while meanness is condemned as shameful, create powerful pressures to "play by the rules". Those who are perceived as holding on to valuables and as being slow to give them away soon get a bad reputation". Some things really are universals :) A good (and short) book that touches on this universality is C.S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man, though he doesn't mention the Kula.
What's your favorite Kula, Lauren? :)
Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope-confesses-he-stole-priests-cross-casket-n45856

Isn't stealing a sin?

I think it is pretty bad to steal from a dead person. Besides, many Catholics are

buried with their rosary beads. I can't see any saving grace for Francis' act.

Mar 6th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: nice parallel, though they're imp-less. On the Kula-trading culture, Wikipedia notes: "However, strong social obligations and the cultural value system, in which liberality is exalted as highest virtue while meanness is condemned as shameful, create powerful pressures to "play by the rules". Those who are perceived as holding on to valuables and as being slow to give them away soon get a bad reputation". Some things really are universals :) A good (and short) book that touches on this universality is C.S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man, though he doesn't mention the Kula.
What's your favorite Kula, Lauren? :)
Paul, another book that deals with the gift -- is The Gift by Marcel Mauss -- love him always a gentleman -- anyway, it is all about reciprocity and the giving of gifts and oneself in society -- not religious in nature but a beautiful little book as well.

My favorite Kula?? I am assuming we are talking about things other than the Trobriand Islanders and their bracelets and necklaces :-)).

Perhaps in modern practice -- finding those small post it notes from a stranger with a kind word on it :-) And, I must stay away from imps as my wishes might go awry :-). . .
Posts 1 - 10 of 127