Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Does God=energy?

Mar 11th 2014 new
www.youtube.com

In this video it says that energy always existed before the universe was created. I always wanted to know how some people think the world was created by nothing. I know for a fact nothing comes or is created by nothing.

fluffy angel
Mar 11th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2RD4vTuPN0

In this video it says that energy always existed before the universe was created. I always wanted to know how some people think the world was created by nothing. I know for a fact nothing comes or is created by nothing.

Interesting post. I wish there were more of this sort on here. There is a book: Modern Physics and Ancient Faith. I suggest you check it out!
Mar 12th 2014 new
I think that those people were referring to the "Big Bang" theory. It was energy that created everything, not God, according to the theory. So, energy existed before the universe? How did they come to that conculsion?
Mar 12th 2014 new
The modern escapism of the truth.
Mar 12th 2014 new
(quote) Jane-933948 said: The modern escapism of the truth.
I don't understand what your saying?
Mar 12th 2014 new

• brendanmcphillips.com/2007/09/23/einstein-proves-the-existence-of-god

If God is Energy and converted that energy into matter (i.e. our universes creation), Godmust be an infinite amount of energy, but from my understanding of the ...

Mar 12th 2014 new
(quote) Jane-933948 said: The modern escapism of the truth.
What is escapism? Are you saying that God exististing before the universe is escapism? The problem with big bang theorists is that they do not acknowledge God; THAT is their problem. As far as a general attack on physics is concerned, consider that Einstein himself said that intelligent design is evident through the elegance exhibited in the structure of the cosmos.

As far as the attacks of special relativity are concerned, people have taken his relativity and attempted to apply in moral matters; that is folly. Special Relativity applies to physical behavior only, NOT moral behavior. As for time not being absolute, St. Augustine himself hypothesized that time was nonlinear. Yes, there was a time when theologians applied a mathematical style thought process,
Mar 13th 2014 new

Interesting question.

I would say though that in any Christian sense, it would be quite inaccurate to infer that God=energy.... even if trying to explain it to an atheist.

If God=energy and E=mc^2 (energy = mass x the speed of light squared.... according to Einstein).....

According to Christian teaching, God is infinite. This would mean that the energy and the mass of this universe (plus any other parallel universe/s, if that is possible) would be an infinite number. I'm not sure, but I doubt that any/many scientists (studying such things) would say that there is infinite energy and mass in the universe.

Also, if God=energy, then God=mass x the speed of light squared. It would follow then that every "particle" of energy and every bit of mass in the universe would literally be a part of God. If that were true, then it would be accurate to say that God is quite literally a rock, God is a chair, God is a cat, God is an airplane, God is a human, God is a lightning bolt, God is a cloud and God is the electricity flowing through the wires in your stove to make your pancakes for breakfast. And incidentally, God is also your pancake. When taken to this logical end, it seems preposterous to me.

Therefore, I think that it would be quite inaccurate to say that God=energy. scratchchin

Ed
Mar 13th 2014 new
Another argument that God is not equal to energy (God=energy):

1) Einstein said, and it has been proven that E=mc^2 (energy = mass x speed of light squared).

2) If true, then God = mass x speed of light squared.

2) The speed of light has units of meters per second (or similar distance and time units).

3) Christian doctrine has always said that God exists outside of time... or apart from time.

4) If God exists apart from time, then it would be incorrect to put "God" into any equation that includes time units.

Ed
Mar 13th 2014 new

Another argument against the proposal that God=energy:

You wrote that... "I know for a fact nothing comes or is created by nothing".

Using that logic, then God is either "nothing", or else God is "something" and God has not always existed. Again using that logic, if God is "something", then God was created by "something". But Christian doctrine has always said that God has no beginning or end. In the words of Jesus... Jesus said "I Am" (is, was, and will always be).

I would suggest that the law that you said (that it is a fact nothing comes or is created by nothing) did not exist until God created that law. That law did not exist before the universe existed. Since God is omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and omni-present (everywhere), he actually existed before that law existed, and in fact He created that law, and that law has existed since then and is in fact true now.

Think about all of the scientific laws of thermodynamics. All of those laws only describe HOW things work in the universe. The universe worked exactly the same way even BEFORE scientists discovered these laws. God created the laws of thermodynamics when He created the universe. We have only discovered these laws in the past several hundred years. It is a bit similar to the fact that the American continent existed even before Columbus "discovered" it for the European world. America did not begin to exist the day that Columbus discovered it.... or the day that the native Americans discovered it.... or the day that the wholly mammoths discovered it.

Ed

Posts 1 - 10 of 12