Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I have collected several rosaries over the years. In high school I recall a teacher telling me that a broken rosary should be given to a priest and he will dispose of it properly. Is this correct information?
Mar 13th 2014 new
you can also repair it if you want there are stores where you can buy materials that can be used to fix/create one
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Thomas-564376 said: I have collected several rosaries over the years. In high school I recall a teacher telling me that a broken rosary should be given to a priest and he will dispose of it properly. Is this correct information?
My understanding is that sacramental objects (rosaries, palms, scapulars, etc,) should be burned or buried. I have buried old palms in the garden if I miss getting them back to church before Ash Wednesday. That said, are the rosaries repairable? I have had old and sometimes antique rosaries repaired. There are also folks who collect.rosaries, medals, scapulars, etc for missions.
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Thomas-564376 said: I have collected several rosaries over the years. In high school I recall a teacher telling me that a broken rosary should be given to a priest and he will dispose of it properly. Is this correct information?
Blessed objects should be burned or buried. If you're not sure whether a religious object such as a rosary has been blessed, it is best to treat it as if it has been.

My suggestion is to find someone who makes or repairs rosaries and asking if they would like it. If they can't repair it, perhaps they can re-use the beads and crucifix.

Mar 13th 2014 new
I have my father's old rosary and it is in serious disrepair. Thanks for this thread, as it reminds me that I need to get it repaired. Of course, I will look for the supplies and attempt to do this myself rosary
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Rob-362135 said: I have my father's old rosary and it is in serious disrepair. Thanks for this thread, as it reminds me that I need to get it repaired. Of course, I will look for the supplies and attempt to do this myself
I have seen actual tools and kits for repairing rosaries. I have several friends who make and repair rosaries, so I send them my business (I am not that talented!)
Mar 13th 2014 new
Why don't you fix it with pliers if it is medal links, I wonder? If not, I would bury it on your property. That's what you can do with palm.

Jeannie
Mar 15th 2014 new
If the rosaries hold special meaning to you and aren't terribly broken apart, I'd suggest showing them to a couple jewelers who may be willing to fix them for a nominal fee.

My girlfriend is a jeweler and fixes my rosaries all the time. She jokes that they break because I pray so hard. Actually, they break because they're cheap - but hold very special meaning to me. I tell her there will be a special place in heaven for her due to the sheer number of times she's had to fix my broken rosaries.
Mar 15th 2014 new
Hello Thomas, first off that is very cool you have a rosary collection. I myself always carry my Rosary in my pocket. Basically though the rosary may be physically broken, it still carries that special weight that the rosary carries. I would keep it. Though if nothing else, talk to your Parish Priest and see what he says about the subject? Can't hurt.
Mar 15th 2014 new
Take the rosaries to a jeweler....He/she can repair them. i've done that several times.
Posts 1 - 10 of 15