Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

So I'm trying this again. Knee deep in Lent. Looking forward to spring and the opening fishing season. Just curious. About how Catholic girls feel about camping and fishing.

It was good enough for my Mom I guess. Dad took her on fishing trips along with us kids. Some how that all got wrapped up in my head as a big part of what marriage is.

Though I guess everyone is different. Since the separation of the classes it seems a lot of people are more jet set. At very least they see a vacation as going on a cruise ship. Then came the separation of the classLESS which hasn't been any better. But I don't want to talk about politics.

Let's just say I still prefer to fish and camp. That's why this is so important. If I stay here this time will I find partners to fish? I wonder if for Catholic women that might push the limits. Going on a trip with someone you just met on the Internet.

Nothing serious. Have fun with this. Answer the question...

...or just tell a story about a fishing trip. Help me and others maybe warm up a bit. Cause as I look out the window it still looks as winter as it gets.

If you dislike fish (or to fish) then this is also your chance to vent if you wish. goldfish

Fish haters welcome! Summer lovers wanted!! So long to winter!!! wave
Mar 13th 2014 new
I love fishing and camping. Gone Fishing! I grew up fishing with my family in the summers. Mom grew up fishing with Grandpa and my uncles. Dad continues to fish. He goes fly fishing, and even ties his own flies. For him, it is a spiritual activity. It connects him to his vocation as a deacon. I think he taps into the disciples and the call to be fishers of men.

I've never had a date fishing, but I think that would be totally cool! Not a first date, but one where we are testing our comfortability with silence and companionship. Kind of resting in solitude together.

I bait my own hook. I'm not afraid to take off the fish. I'd be happy to help clean them (need some reminders on that! Last time I did it I was a teen.) We could build a campfire and fry them. Sounds perfect.

Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: I've never had a date fishing, but I think that would be totally cool! Not a first date, but one where we are testing our comfortability with silence and companionship. Kind of resting in solitude together.

I bait my own hook. I'm not afraid to take off the fish. I'd be happy to help clean them (need some reminders on that! Last time I did it I was a teen.) We could build a campfire and fry them. Sounds perfect.

Silence sounds perfect. Our world has become so noisy. I can't believe more women are not willing to join me. Last summer I had one real date and the other one robbed me. So I understand the trust factor thing.

I do wish it was more like the 90's. When you could trust everybody. Cause we all more or less shared a common blief. One being Jesus. Two that we were all (eventually anyways) looking for someone to marry.

Now days it seems like you can't tell anybody. shhh

Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: I love fishing and camping. I grew up fishing with my family in the summers. Mom grew up fishing with Grandpa and my uncles. Dad continues to fish. He goes fly fishing, and even ties his own flies. For him, it is a spiritual activity. It connects him to his vocation as a deacon. I think he taps into the disciples and the call to be fishers of men.

I've never had a date fishing, but I think that would be totally cool! Not a first date, but one where we are testing our comfortability with silence and companionship. Kind of resting in solitude together.

Oh wow what a great topic!!

There were three girls in my family and we all loved to fish and crab thanks to my Dad. We fish the fresh water lakes and rivers in Alabama and do saltwater fishing and crabbing at the Gulf Coast. My Dad was so patient, however, he taught us how to do the dirty work (putting a worm on a hook and taking the fish off of the line). He did, however, if he was with us take a cat fish off of the hook. Even thought we girls knew how to do it could be dangerous especially with those salt cats.

We would drop crab baskets and cages where ever we were on the coast for those wonderful blue crabs. Then to cook them you boil a big pot of water with seasoning and drag them in the pot. Of course the occasional crab would get out and we would have to chase the crab and catch it. Blue crabs also turn bright orange once they have been put in boiling waters.

Mar 13th 2014 new
I don't like to eat fish at all :(. I also don't care for catching fish, baiting hooks, or removing a fish from the hook. Having said all that :) some of my favorite memories from my teen years is going out on a boat fishing with my dad. When I realized I didn't really like fishing, just hanging out with dad on the water in the peace and quiet beauty, I started taking a book and reading while he fished, or talking. I still got caught up in the excitement of him catching fish. Being an adult stinks because he and I never have the same mornings off. .................. I also love to camp. Camping and fishing seem like great date ideas, but I probably wouldn't go camping or fishing as a first date either.
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Eric-929127 said: Silence sounds perfect. Our world has become so noisy. I can't believe more women are not willing to join me. Last summer I had one real date and the other one robbed me. So I understand the trust factor thing.

I do wish it was more like the 90's. When you could trust everybody. Cause we all more or less shared a common blief. One being Jesus. Two that we were all (eventually anyways) looking for someone to marry.

Now days it seems like you can't tell anybody.

The 90s were like that? Try the 70s. laughing

I admit that as an extrovert I struggle with seeking out silence. But when there is someone else around, I don't need to talk. Being together is sufficient. And with someone I love, more often than not, no words are needed.
Mar 13th 2014 new
One of the best dates I ever had with my former boyfriend was a couple of years ago when we went trout fishing. At one point in the day, we would barely throw our hooks into the water when we'd feel a tug on the line and pull out a nice-sized trout. One after another, the limit caught within maybe 10-15 minutes. We shared a pleasant day on the lake together, some talking, some silence, all unusually peaceful.

My dad taught me to fish in Wisconsin when I was 6 years old. I caught bluegill mostly, but he was pretty proud of me when I landed a 19" Northern pike. Unfortunately, it was below the legal size limit, so we had to throw it back. I loved scaling the fish. My dad would do the rest and throw the parts to the cats and chickens hanging around the fish-cleaning table (this was on a lakeside farm we would stay at). Good times, good times.

I've been camping 2 or 3 times. I enjoyed it. Let's have a real potty around, though, shall we?
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Eric-929127 said: So I'm trying this again. Knee deep in Lent. Looking forward to spring and the opening fishing season. Just curious. About how Catholic girls feel about camping and fishing.

It was good enough for my Mom I guess. Dad took her on fishing trips along with us kids. Some how that all got wrapped up in my head as a big part of what marriage is.

Though I guess everyone is different. Since the separation of the classes it seems a lot of people are more jet set. At very least they see a vacation as going on a cruise ship. Then came the separation of the classLESS which hasn't been any better. But I don't want to talk about politics.

Let's just say I still prefer to fish and camp. That's why this is so important. If I stay here this time will I find partners to fish? I wonder if for Catholic women that might push the limits. Going on a trip with someone you just met on the Internet.

Nothing serious. Have fun with this. Answer the question...

...or just tell a story about a fishing trip. Help me and others maybe warm up a bit. Cause as I look out the window it still looks as winter as it gets.

If you dislike fish (or to fish) then this is also your chance to vent if you wish.

Fish haters welcome! Summer lovers wanted!! So long to winter!!!
I have to say that I neither like nor dislike either camping or fishing. I do not eat fish. I think it's because my mother hated fish so she never made it, therefore I never developed a taste for it. However, I did fish when I was a kid. We lived on a lake in NJ. There were lots of what I called "sunny fish" but maybe they were "Blue Gills?" Anyway, I used Wonder Bread smooshed into a ball on a hook to catch them. However, I would not, and still will not, touch a worm or take the hook out. But in general, I don't like any creepy, crawly, slimy things. As for camping, my parents traveled all over the US and through most provinces of Canada while I was growing up, and we camped everywhere. This was back in the 70's when tents were just changing from canvas to nylon but the seams weren't sealed very well. I just remember getting wet a lot while sleeping because it would rain, or I'd touch the side of the tent, and the dew would seep in. Bleh. I promised myself I would never camp again once I left the house.

Having said that, I know that camping tents and cots have come a long way (hey, I am nearly 50 yrs old, so don't ever ask me to sleep on the ground again). I now have three boys that are very involved in scouting and my husband is deceased. Sooooo, I think I am going to have to dust off my camping skills. I actually do love the smell of a campfire. I love the quiet of the mornings when there are just hushed voices, the sound of nature awakening, and the smell of fires lighting to get that first cup of coffee brewing. I love sitting by a campfire at night, making s'mores, singing, telling stories, or just looking up at the night sky. One of my most fondest memories of camping? The year I turned 16 and my parents said I could take the canoe out on to Lake George by myself. I remember that first time, waking up at dawn, getting dressed, dragging the canoe into the water and paddling away from the shore. I just sat there in the stillness of the water (most people with motorboats weren't up yet), listening to all the early morning sounds, watching smoke rising from newly lit fires, and feeling such peace and calm.

My goodness! Thank you for awakening such great memories!!!
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: The 90s were like that? Try the 70s.

I admit that as an extrovert I struggle with seeking out silence. But when there is someone else around, I don't need to talk. Being together is sufficient. And with someone I love, more often than not, no words are needed.
I whole heartedly agree with you on the second part. Though I think the 70's were ugly. At least there was good music. The hippies candy coated what they were doing to make it more palatable. What's going on today goes down about how a kidney stone come out.

With the soundtrack being rap and hip hop. boggled

Sorry if that was too graphic, but the last five years have left me sickened. All the arguing and fighting with no love in it. This is not how I want to live. I want to be happy again. And I want to have friends.

Friends that don't make me sick. Friends that I can respect. Friends that ALLOW me to live without making judgement on them.

Gotta figure with that missing plane there will be another hostage crisis. Say a prayer for them. But at the same time keep in mind that this is how the 70's ended.
Mar 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jamie-1031385 said: Oh wow what a great topic!!

There were three girls in my family and we all loved to fish and crab thanks to my Dad. We fish the fresh water lakes and rivers in Alabama and do saltwater fishing and crabbing at the Gulf Coast. My Dad was so patient, however, he taught us how to do the dirty work (putting a worm on a hook and taking the fish off of the line). He did, however, if he was with us take a cat fish off of the hook. Even thought we girls knew how to do it could be dangerous especially with those salt cats.

We would drop crab baskets and cages where ever we were on the coast for those wonderful blue crabs. Then to cook them you boil a big pot of water with seasoning and drag them in the pot. Of course the occasional crab would get out and we would have to chase the crab and catch it. Blue crabs also turn bright orange once they have been put in boiling waters.

Sounds yummy. Thank you for keeping the topic on course. I seem to have left on a ranting tangent LOL. Yeah I heard those salt water cats are poisonous. I'll stick with the dangers of snapping turtles.

Those are pretty yummy too if you can find an old timer who knows how to clean them. biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 107