Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

When I was in school, before they lifted the dress code what used to be a pull over or button down shirt dress slacks for the boys and yes a dress or skirt for the girls no shorter then the finger tips held down at each side. I dont remember if hosiery or socks were an option but believe the girls preferred hosiery because it made them feel like grown up women but also just as my with my sisters, their generation and other girls to follow, probably after the novelty wore off realized how hot they are. However my mother always begged to differ and told them she thought pants were much hotter!

As I guy, all I know what to be really hot is a pair of good knit dress trousers with a suit coat and a shirt with a tight fitting collar! I would like to see women give them a try on a hot day although seeing many in skin tight jeans I honestly dont think many really feel the heat so badly. They started to wear sloppy t shirts and jeans with holes or the girls tight blouses and hot pants what I thought looked hideous and being pants, they wore them as such and left me with the thought that doing the same things even in a short skirt would have not only been considerably more modest but flattering as well!

I dont think they had very many issues concerning girls hemlines back then but my mothers specifications were not nearly as generous as the school and my sisters were lucky if their skirts came just above their knees!

As for the present day and the growing issue of banning skirts in the schools ,I do believe rather then focusing on the problem a better approach is focusing on the girls and instead of punishing them all by making them wear pants, what is a quick and easy fix , perhaps a simple solution might be better for those with their skirts to short would be to just have them wear a pillow case or plastic trash bag over their skirt with the bottom cut out, and tucked into their waist band; or not quite so harsh, wearing a smock over them and all of girls could be expected to keep one in their locker. Also if the problem is really that bad. It might be funny at the end of the day to see so many art students walking out the doors!

I really believe that more women and girls like skirts better then they let on and have a feeling that fashion has a lot to do with all the candor because I remember girls at school often making sure about what they planned to wear so none of them would risk feeling out of place showing up the next day in something different. My older sister was very much that way all her life but still was really to old fashioned to wear dress pants to church yet would drive miles out of her way to come home to change after church because she didnt want to wear a skirt or dress to go shopping and even though on Sunday many women do, I noticed as the day wears on, they have changed back into pants and she didnt want to be one of the last ones.

I do think decades ago and during the 1800s a new dress or even the fabric to make it was very dear and perhaps women and girls wore jeans or overalls to save them because the work clothes lasted longer and werent as costly but I dont believe for a moment that very many women ever wanted to abandon their dresses and this was done only out of practicality but also to this day often to a greater extent, still done for the same reasons but somehow work clothes have become a fashion statement and consequently become considerably more expensive what was probably the intended marketing goal!

Anyway regardless how it all came to be, the black and white of it is with all the far more luxurious and refined fabrics offered on the market, many that will also last for a long time too, however in spite of that, denim has truly been walking off with first prize for many years now but the only hope is someday that some of these little known or forgotten niceties will be rediscovered! However never saying that jeans or even mens clothes rob a woman of her femininity because it comes from within.

But what truly and indisputably dose, is because over the many years that society has perpetuated to the point where women and girls feel out of place walking in a room and being the only one wearing a dress and now at present moved on to treating girls like boys in the schools and you simply cant take her skirt away, treat her like a boy then expect her to learn how to be a lady! What is only exemplary of how this desensitizes people along with how things have come to be and if this isnt recognized and left unchecked will most likely become worse as in other parts of the world.

Paul

Mar 16th 2014 new
Oh dear, have they really forbidden skirts at school? That is terrible!

About a year and a half ago I made the decision to only wear skirts and dresses, and I have to say I don't miss slacks at all! You will often find people citing practicality or warmth as reasons for women to wear slacks, but I have yet to find an activity that is impractical to do in a skirt. And tights with leg warmers are just as warm, if not warmer, than slacks in the winter.

My one complaint is how hard it is to find nice skirts of a modest length.
Mar 17th 2014 new
(quote) Monica-1041997 said: Oh dear, have they really forbidden skirts at school? That is terrible!

About a year and a half ago I made the decision to only wear skirts and dresses, and I have to say I don't miss slacks at all! You will often find people citing practicality or warmth as reasons for women to wear slacks, but I have yet to find an activity that is impractical to do in a skirt. And tights with leg warmers are just as warm, if not warmer, than slacks in the winter.

My one complaint is how hard it is to find nice skirts of a modest length.
More women should look in the mirror when they put on slacks to see and understand what the world sees, fewer of them would wear them.

Of course, men are also guilty of wearing clothes that are just as in appropriate.. Right off the bat, I refer everyone to the "basketball shorts" worn today, the ones that come to mid calf.

Young men in great shape, like professional basketball players look silly in them. Older, overweight (to be kind) men just look hilarious. Of course, we have no need to refer to the other common style of the baggy pants worn so low on the hips to display the hemispheric division of their buttocks. GAG, GAG!!!!

Posts 1 - 3 of 3