Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

This may need to be moved. . . but maybe not :-).

At every Mass, the same thought occurs to me about my favorite parts of the Mass -- aside from of course receiving the Eucharist. One of the hopes of Vatican II was that the faithful would participate more fully in the Mass, not just hear it. As such, using the vernacular was partly in the hope that the Mass and its beautiful components would be more readily heard and understood and draw people into the worship. We of course can debate that all day long, the pros and cons of both forms of the Mass. That is not what I want to do here.

Not counting the Eucharist -- which of course is the greatest joy of the Mass. There are four parts that particularly speak to me.

1. The Confiteor: I greatly prefer those masses when we say the Confiteor, rather than the Kyrie as I find this an exquisite confession of our faith -- It admits our failings -- "through our own faults -- in what we have done and what we have failed to do" -- We then invite the Holy Mother, all the Angels and Saints and our Brothers and Sisters gathered there in community to pray for us -- to commend us to God. I think this is exquisitely beautiful.
www.diocesefwsb.org

2. As we prepare for the Gospel, we make the sign of the cross on our forehead, our lips and our hearts and should call to mind this prayer: Lord may your word be ever in my thoughts, always on my lips and forever in my heart. I love this so much -- reminding us to draw the Word into our very being and existence and make it a part of us and in every thing we think, feel and say. So very beautiful.
forums.catholic.com

3. As the gifts are being prepared on the altar - the priest steps to the side and the alter servers pour water over his hands. This prayer is generally inaudible and is for the priest specifically, but it is one of the most beautiful moments in the Mass to me, having been at very small private masses and heard my Uncle say the words they have stuck with me forever: "Lord wash away my iniquities and cleanse me of all my sins" From Psalm 51:1-2. I have also heard it as: "Lord wash away my iniquities and cleanse me of all indifference."

www.pastoralliturgy.org

www.vatican.va.

From the GIRM:

76. The priest then washes his hands at the side of the altar, a rite that is an expression of his desire for interior purification.

145. After the prayer In spiritu humilitatis (Lord God, we ask you to receive us) or after the incensation, the priest washes his hands standing at the side of the altar and, as the minister pours the water, says quietly, Lava me, Domine (Lord, wash away my iniquity).

4. And, finally, where we say: "Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." (The new translation and based on Mathew 8:8 -- I must admit a fondness for the old one, Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed but this is a nice way to think about the new translation: mbernadettee.tumblr.com).

Either way, I love this part of the Mass as well. It is a beautiful recognition, not only of our own imperfections and frailties, but of the desire to invite Christ in and through our Faith to be healed by Him. So, beautiful.

These four parts of the Mass speak to me at every Mass. I love them. They resonant within my heart and mind and soul.

What parts of the Mass are of particular resonance to you??

Mar 16th 2014 new

Great question!! Glad you asked what "parts". Otherwise, how could anyone choose just one?

For me, of course the Eucharist. But the other two parts that come to mind are:

1) Praying the Lord's Prayer, especially when everyone holds hands and "lift their hearts to the Lord."

2) Offering each other peace.

These two parts of the Mass, to me, really draw us together as a community. It makes me feel so good to wish everyone peace...

Mar 16th 2014 new
This is such a great topic, Lauren!

I love to say the creed. I especially love the masses when they do it as a Q and A. When they ask "do you reject Satan", etc., I love to say "I do!"

I also love the confiteor and "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof..."

I also love to watch my brothers and sisters in Christ going to communion. I have heard it said that we shouldn't watch, but I'm not watching to see who goes to communion or trying to guess why some people don't. It's just that I don't close my eyes and I sit at the end of the pew...and as people walk by they all look so beautiful. It's hard to explain, but it's all ages, many races and nationalities, some with disabilities...in other words, very Catholic! It's very moving.

I love all of it, really.
Mar 16th 2014 new
Here are some things I think about during Mass...

"This is the Chalice of My Blood that will be poured out for you.." I remember how Jesus started pouring out his blood in the garden and continued to pour it out all the way to the cross until his heart was pierced and it all poured out. I picture in the old testament them taking blood and pouring it out over the altar for a sin offering, and how this Lamb's blood was poured out for my sins.

"Behold the Lamb of God" I picture John the Baptist standing off to the side by the altar looking at us and pointing to the Eucharist as the priest says these words. I know he is really there.

"Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world..." I look up at the large crucifix hanging in my church and I think "There you are, Jesus, taking away the sins of the world have mercy on me."

"...Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord, Hosanna in the highest." And then we KNEEL, because He is coming now, as Heaven is about to come down to earth on the altar right before us.

Mar 17th 2014 new
(quote) Suzanne-818266 said:

Great question!! Glad you asked what "parts". Otherwise, how could anyone choose just one?

For me, of course the Eucharist. But the other two parts that come to mind are:

1) Praying the Lord's Prayer, especially when everyone holds hands and "lift their hearts to the Lord."

2) Offering each other peace.

These two parts of the Mass, to me, really draw us together as a community. It makes me feel so good to wish everyone peace...

Hi Suzanne,

I agree with you. I love these two parts as well and they do draw us together.
Mar 17th 2014 new
I love the renewal of the Baptismal promises as well. That is another area which has continued to take on deeper and deeper meaning as I have grown older.

I hadn't heard not to watch people going to communion. I love to sing, so I enjoy the music at this time mostly but also enjoy watching and being pleasantly surprised by the number of people we can fit in our small parish church. Always makes me smile.
Mar 17th 2014 new
Thanks Ginny for sharing these! I will have some deeper things to ponder now during these parts of the Mass as well.

We had some visiting priests here from Africa several years back and the first one who came -- the first Mass he said, he sang out in the deepest, most powerful, most beautiful voice: Behold the Lamb. It immediately woke everyone up (not that they were really snoozing) but I can remember being jarred and getting chills and being completely drawn to the moment.

When my daughter Brianna was about three, we were at Mass and sitting near the front and she was totally enraptured by something on the altar, I couldn't figure out what she was looking at, so I asked her and she said the man. I thought she meant the priest and said so, she looked at me and gave me one of those "really mommy you are so dense sometimes" looks and said "No, mommy Jesus." Your post made me remember that. :-) She was also the one who was so upset she couldn't receive communion at three :-).
Mar 17th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said:

4. And, finally, where we say: "Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." ...

We USED to say it three times (Domine non sum dignus, etc.)

www.ncregister.com
Mar 17th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Thanks Ginny for sharing these! I will have some deeper things to ponder now during these parts of the Mass as well.

We had some visiting priests here from Africa several years back and the first one who came -- the first Mass he said, he sang out in the deepest, most powerful, most beautiful voice: Behold the Lamb. It immediately woke everyone up (not that they were really snoozing) but I can remember being jarred and getting chills and being completely drawn to the moment.

When my daughter Brianna was about three, we were at Mass and sitting near the front and she was totally enraptured by something on the altar, I couldn't figure out what she was looking at, so I asked her and she said the man. I thought she meant the priest and said so, she looked at me and gave me one of those "really mommy you are so dense sometimes" looks and said "No, mommy Jesus." Your post made me remember that. :-) She was also the one who was so upset she couldn't receive communion at three :-).
Awww, that is adorable about your daughter! biggrin

I really love it when the Mass is sung--that is what we do in Japan. You can hear some of it here:

www.youtube.com

That is the Kyrie, followed by the Gloria, the Sanctus and the Angus Dei.

One of my favorite parts is, "We praise thee. We bless thee. We adore thee. We glorify thee. We give thee thanks for thy great glory." It's so blissful in the Japanese song!

Mar 17th 2014 new
Lauren, as a convert of 14 years, I love every part of the Mass. And, as I learn more about the meaning and reasons for each part, I love it more. Of course, the Eucharist has precious meanings and significance and the Gospel readings give me hope and pause for reflection. Thank you for your post that has enlightened me further about various parts of the Mass. May God bless you always.
Posts 1 - 10 of 41