Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

FORTY THREE IS CLOSE ENOUGH

Mar 21st 2014 new
Perhaps people over 45 may be able to help me with this. I have a job where my eyes are fixed on two computer screens for the entire 40 hour work week. My vision was 20/20 before starting that job seven years ago. Now I'm not blaming my job entirely for my failing vision. As much as I curse the Internet I admit I spend a lot of free time using it.

So I average from 60 to 70 hours a week on the computer. eyepopping

Now my eyes are going. My first thought was that I was going to go from reading glasses to bifocals in a two year period. The thing is I can still read the label on a bottle of Tylenol if I take it outside in the sun. Out on my boat I have perfect vision from shore to shore. Though I might be tying my line by memory at this point.

It's just that at night when the lights come on it never seems like there is enough. Moving around the house after dark makes me nervous. But again this is not the case when I'm driving my car. It's just so frustrating looking for stuff around the house. I think I have to adjust my schedule some.

Early to bed and early to rise in the words of Ben Franklin. eyebrow

Anyhow I know I need to see a doctor. Just looking for a preliminary report. Is this just part of getting old or do you think I may have fried my rods and cones? Please share your experience with this or tell me what I should expect next. If you want to keep it religious tell me what the Bible says.

Any thoughts on computers and eye stress even. rolling eyes

Thanks in advance. cool
Mar 21st 2014 new
Eric, I can identify. I spend 40 hours a week looking at a computer screen, too.

What works for me is that I have a special pair of glasses just for work. The bottom is a reading bifocal and the top part is a mid range distance lens for computers. My regular glasses have distance and reading.

Talk to your optometrist about a "computer distance" lens, and if necessary, a close-up bifocal.

Good luck.
Mar 21st 2014 new
Hello Eric,

It seems your problem may be twofold. The part where you see better in daylight is age or speaking for myself, those are similar circumstances to my very own blind spots so to speak. I was even forced to go by the window to read some small writing on the back of a credit card. I don't do as well as I used to night driving and sometimes it never ceases to amaze me that they are the same surroundings!

I was talking to one of my coworkers that three years ago, she didn't even need glasses and just got her script altered for the second time. Her eye doctor said it was directly related to the computer.

There are advantages to getting older...senior citizen discounts!
Mar 21st 2014 new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: Eric, I can identify. I spend 40 hours a week looking at a computer screen, too.

What works for me is that I have a special pair of glasses just for work. The bottom is a reading bifocal and the top part is a mid range distance lens for computers. My regular glasses have distance and reading.

Talk to your optometrist about a "computer distance" lens, and if necessary, a close-up bifocal.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Gotta run to work now. I look forward to SEEING everyones thoughts on Monday morning. Thanks again. Eric
Mar 22nd 2014 new
Eric..

I used to be a loan officer for 10 yrs,... sitting at a desk 8hrs a day five days a week..and the occasional Saturday. I didn't have 2 screens..but let me tell you.. my eye sight went from good to bad (-2.75). When i took an outside account mgr position..being away from a computer all day.. my eyesight gradually improved. I am now only between -1.75 - -2.0.  I only just switched to bifocal contact lenses a year ago.. and i'm almost 50. 
Sitting in front of a computer screen that many hours a day does ruin your eyesight over time, just my Opinion.. scratchchin Praying

Mar 22nd 2014 new
Eric,

I don't know enough about the computer screens to say what, if any, damage to your eyes they might cause but as one whose eyesight is not as keen as it once was and who did some reading on the subject, I can say that deteriorating eyesight is part of the aging process.

This link might help: www.aoa.org.

Mar 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Eric-929127 said: Perhaps people over 45 may be able to help me with this. I have a job where my eyes are fixed on two computer screens for the entire 40 hour work week. My vision was 20/20 before starting that job seven years ago. Now I'm not blaming my job entirely for my failing vision. As much as I curse the Internet I admit I spend a lot of free time using it.

So I average from 60 to 70 hours a week on the computer.

Now my eyes are going. My first thought was that I was going to go from reading glasses to bifocals in a two year period. The thing is I can still read the label on a bottle of Tylenol if I take it outside in the sun. Out on my boat I have perfect vision from shore to shore. Though I might be tying my line by memory at this point.

It's just that at night when the lights come on it never seems like there is enough. Moving around the house after dark makes me nervous. But again this is not the case when I'm driving my car. It's just so frustrating looking for stuff around the house. I think I have to adjust my schedule some.

Early to bed and early to rise in the words of Ben Franklin.

Anyhow I know I need to see a doctor. Just looking for a preliminary report. Is this just part of getting old or do you think I may have fried my rods and cones? Please share your experience with this or tell me what I should expect next. If you want to keep it religious tell me what the Bible says.

Any thoughts on computers and eye stress even.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know Eric. I just know mine used to be nearly perfect. (from a distance it's still not bad at all)
But "aging" is what the opthamologist told me during an appointment at 45.
I was used to reading out of a small book...everyday...when one day...not long after I turned 45 I had to squint and strain to read the small print. (kind of like "Happy Birthday...you can't see!")
Bottom line....he was surprised I lasted until then. He said after age 40 a lot of people need "improvement" for reading. Now i wear "bi-focals" with a slight correction through the top. For computer work I wear "readers" Just my 2two cents
Mar 22nd 2014 new
hello eric,

I also used to have 20/20 vision before, when i started working but when my work requires me to use 2 monitors/computers for 40 hrs a week and sometimes even more when there's weekend work, i think i lost that clear vision too.

Flat screens/ lcd monitors (colored monitors) we are using nowadays are far better off compare to monitors during those days (16 yrs ago) those big cube type black monitors that also eats up a lot of your workspace (which most of you guys had used in your life i guess) . the option we did during those days was to use a monitor glass filter.

i guess i partially blame my work with "destroying" my 20/20 vision. having more than one screen at work really strains our eyes. now i need to use my eye glasses (due to astigmatism as diagnose by my opto) whenever i'm at work since i mostly sits on my desk in front of a computer, otherwise i get migraines or headaches if i don't have my glasses.

I don't think it goes with age 'coz i know some old folks who has/had good vision and doesn't need eye glasses since they are not into using computers, my grandpa is one testament to this statement.

although there are folks i know who lost their 20/20 vision at a young age because they like reading books a lot (such as reading while lying in bed, reading while riding a car/bus or whatever mode of transportation that is in motion). old folks says these can get your vision impaired.

I also agree with dave's last statement.

two cents

Mar 22nd 2014 new
By His Stripes you WERE healed...believe Him. 2nd Peter

Isaiah 32:3

Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Isaiah 32:3.

And the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken.

Speak it, pray it, praise Him for it.

Mar 23rd 2014 new
On a completely unrelated note, Chuck Yeager had 20/10 vision in both of his eyes when he was a young man. As a boy in West Virginia, he shot a deer 600 yards away (with open sights).

He had remarkable vision. While flying his P-51 Mustang ("Glamorous Glennis") in the skies over Western Europe during the Second World War, he could see approaching German fighter planes long before anyone he was flying with could, and before the Germans could see them.

His flying mates learned very quickly that if Chuch Yeager had said, "There are German planes headed our way," they knew he really saw them.

Posts 1 - 10 of 34