Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mass attire

Mar 25th 2014 new
My parish priest went over appropriate attire last week, fairly humorously in my opinion. I thought I'd share here to spread it, especially since we are coming into warmer weather in the States. It's long winded, but good. ourladyofthevalley.net
Mar 25th 2014 new
Hello Katie. That was entertaining and honest. How great that your young priest could maintain the attention of parishioners young and not so young and get his point across so precisely,

Well done!
Mar 25th 2014 new
Listeners can skip to 10:18 to get to the beginning of the mass attire discussion. (Not that the first 10 min were bad or boring.)
Mar 25th 2014 new
That was great! I really enjoyed it :)
Mar 25th 2014 new
(quote) Katie-792377 said: My parish priest went over appropriate attire last week, fairly humorously in my opinion. I thought I'd share here to spread it, especially since we are coming into warmer weather in the States. It's long winded, but good. http://ourladyofthevalley.net/sermons/what-to-wear-at-mass/
Katie, your post is excellent!

God Bless this priest! His sermon is fantastic and should be repeated and shared. I've bookmarked it and certainly will pass it along on FB, etc.

His sermon is in dire need of being preached at every parish in America. I've seen girls/women acting as cantors/lectors on the altar with bare shoulders, spaghetti straps, short tight skirts, etc. I've always wondered why the priests don't stop them from lectoring/cantoring when they arrive wearing clothing which is clearly inappropriate for church pews, much less the altar. And these priests are very, very good priests - actually some of my favorites. Maybe they don't notice?

Please thank your priest!
Mar 25th 2014 new
(quote) Mary-486033 said: Katie, your post is excellent!

God Bless this priest! His sermon is fantastic and should be repeated and shared. I've bookmarked it and certainly will pass it along on FB, etc.

His sermon is in dire need of being preached at every parish in America. I've seen girls/women acting as cantors/lectors on the altar with bare shoulders, spaghetti straps, short tight skirts, etc. I've always wondered why the priests don't stop them from lectoring/cantoring when they arrive wearing clothing which is clearly inappropriate for church pews, much less the altar. And these priests are very, very good priests - actually some of my favorites. Maybe they don't notice?

Please thank your priest!
I would love to think they don't notice - but I know they do. This has been a topic for a long time in my parents house (my dad serves as a deacon at this parish also) and I know he's brought it up. I am really enjoying this priest, he came to the parish last Summer and has really shaken things up. I loved the priest before him too; that one had people walk out of his homilies. This one holds a special place for me because he helped to bring my sister back to the faith (after nearly two decades away). He is exactly what we need, someone who is unafraid to bring out the big topics and teach the laity! I will forward your thanks on to him :)
Mar 25th 2014 new

biggrin I think that is the best sermon! What a great presentation on this subject!! Every parish should have a copy.

Mar 25th 2014 new
What is wrong with this guy?? I can see the point he's trying to make, but his attitude and focus on women is not good IMO.
Mar 25th 2014 new
(quote) David-364112 said: What is wrong with this guy?? I can see the point he's trying to make, but his attitude and focus on women is not good IMO.
David, he did talk about men in a previous mass. His homily changes with each mass, and I didn't hear him speak about the older men who find it appropriate to wear shorts to Mass and otherwise inappropriate attire. However, the ladies attire in my area continues to be an issue, with no one speaking out. How many times do we need to see cleavage that looks like plumber's crack or young girls tushes hanging out. I sure don't want to see that and I certainly don't want to see men in shorts either. As a woman who carefully chooses my outfit each Sunday (and increasingly each day) this one is way overdue. The "goods" should not be on display, whether at church or in public.
Mar 25th 2014 new
(quote) Katie-792377 said: My parish priest went over appropriate attire last week, fairly humorously in my opinion. I thought I'd share here to spread it, especially since we are coming into warmer weather in the States. It's long winded, but good. http://ourladyofthevalley.net/sermons/what-to-wear-at-mass/
I like that Father got his point across with humor. We do indeed send a message by how we present ourselves.
Posts 1 - 10 of 187