Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Detangling Barbie hair

Mar 26th 2014 new
and other stuff you NEVER thought you'd be doing.

First, I spent an hour and a half detangling the hair on 9 barbie dolls. My daughter called it "Barbie Spa Day." I saved a bunch of money, but for my daughter this is personal. She has given them all names and backstories, so we can't just toss them and start over. Here's the link if anyone needs it: www.instructables.com Once you get the hang of it, takes about 10 minutes a doll.

What crazy stuff do you do for your kids that you NEVER, not in a million years, thought you would wind up doing?

Mar 26th 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: and other stuff you NEVER thought you'd be doing.

First, I spent an hour and a half detangling the hair on 9 barbie dolls. My daughter called it "Barbie Spa Day." I saved a bunch of money, but for my daughter this is personal. She has given them all names and backstories, so we can't just toss them and start over. Here's the link if anyone needs it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Restoring-a-modern-Barbie-doll-with-matted-hair/ Once you get the hang of it, takes about 10 minutes a doll.

What crazy stuff do you do for your kids that you NEVER, not in a million years, thought you would wind up doing?

Probably the craziest thing I have ever done, and it has happened multiple times, is to let my kids throw up on me. You know, they are sick, feeling bad, and then they need to throw up and we can't quite get to the bucket or toilet on time. My oldest son still tells the story about how he threw up on me twice. It tells me that he thinks I am pretty cool.

Another thing I would never have thought I would do is bury a dead animal in the backyard. We buried a baby bunny there last year. It wasn't even "our" bunny. It was just a random animal that we found in our yard. So we buried it in the back garden. We even put a stone over it that said, "Whitetail Emily Rose, RIP." They named it.

Mar 26th 2014 new
I have taken apart and fixed a Barbie sewing machine, sat on Santa's lap with a scared 3 year old, put together a million piece basketball hoop, replaced the backboard of said hoop, hosted Super Bowl parties for boys from aged 10 to 15, participated in ice fishing contests and made a coat of arms out of frozen juice caps. The latest feat was teaching two teens to drive. (My son takes his test next month.)

It's what memories are made of!
Mar 26th 2014 new
My oldest son was obsessed with space travel and the possibility of aliens when he was in 6th grade and for Halloween that year I made him a scary-cool costume with a suit of armor look. I had saved the metal tops of frozen juice cans for months and then punched holes in them and sewed them onto a shirt, kind of in a fish scale pattern, and then dyed his skin and hair green. It was time-consuming but oh so worth it! He loved it!
Mar 26th 2014 new
That's great, Rachel! I "tied" the lids together using metal rings. My son was only about 5 years old and a novice at trick or treating and this thing rattled and looked like a real suit of armor. The problem was, to him, it weighed like one, too, so he made it about a half a block before wanting to return home!
Mar 26th 2014 new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: Probably the craziest thing I have ever done, and it has happened multiple times, is to let my kids throw up on me. You know, they are sick, feeling bad, and then they need to throw up and we can't quite get to the bucket or toilet on time. My oldest son still tells the story about how he threw up on me twice. It tells me that he thinks I am pretty cool.

Another thing I would never have thought I would do is bury a dead animal in the backyard. We buried a baby bunny there last year. It wasn't even "our" bunny. It was just a random animal that we found in our yard. So we buried it in the back garden. We even put a stone over it that said, "Whitetail Emily Rose, RIP." They named it.

Kimberlie, these are so awful- and I've done them, too. I'd like to believe we are teaching our children compassion. heart
Mar 26th 2014 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: I have taken apart and fixed a Barbie sewing machine, sat on Santa's lap with a scared 3 year old, put together a million piece basketball hoop, replaced the backboard of said hoop, hosted Super Bowl parties for boys from aged 10 to 15, participated in ice fishing contests and made a coat of arms out of frozen juice caps. The latest feat was teaching two teens to drive. (My son takes his test next month.)

It's what memories are made of!
1. Do you have a picture of you and the then-three year old? The visual is AWESOME!

2. My son turns 13 this fall and I am dreading the driving lessons already. Any suggestions? Deep breathing? Prayer? Chocolate? Bribing my brother in law might work, too.
Mar 26th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: My oldest son was obsessed with space travel and the possibility of aliens when he was in 6th grade and for Halloween that year I made him a scary-cool costume with a suit of armor look. I had saved the metal tops of frozen juice cans for months and then punched holes in them and sewed them onto a shirt, kind of in a fish scale pattern, and then dyed his skin and hair green. It was time-consuming but oh so worth it! He loved it!
Rachel, you and Kathie share the pintrest costume award for the day. You both rock!
Mar 26th 2014 new
You know, Sam, it could always be worse. wink

You daughter could always find your old photo album and and see the "hair days" that we grew-up in during the 80's. laughing

theheart
Mar 26th 2014 new
Well I guess for starters hiding them from their mom and her "husband". That what the say sometimes when they visit outside normal visits. Never thought that would happen

Teaching the girls to cook and the boys to do laundry and iron. Ex never did the latter and rarely the former but.....

helping with all the various school things. I home schooled all the children up to the seperation. So the cookie sales and candy and magazines and.....

And lately it's the I've this going on or that going on during your weekend dad. Can you drive me x and drop me off then come get me at y time please
Oh and I need Twenty buck for this. Usual spring on me Friday as I pick them up!!
Ok enough for now!

Posts 1 - 10 of 36