Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

THREE STRIKES AND I'M OUT

Apr 2nd 2014 new
Midway through I've decided there are three things I want out of life. And though I absolutely believe in heaven. At the risk of sounding like a hippie I think we were put here to have fun.

Though in the Obama years life has felt much more like the punishment described in the Bible. sad

But we're not Protestants. We weren't meant to have two jobs while others have none. I believe being Catholic means taking what you got and making the best of it.

1) I want to go fishing alot. Dad left me a place in Michigan and I can afford it. It forces me to not do other things so that I may preserve it.

2) I want chickens very much. Now I realize that may require that I put my career first so I can afford the acreage. After that however the organic egg business may even turn a profit.

Guess those are both good things. One keeps me frivolous and two can become a second job even. So maybe Catholics and Protestants aren't that different.

laughing

3) I want a wife and family. To share the previous two dreams with. Which leads to the very important question.

Will we have to pay our children ten bucks an hour to work on our farm? tongue

Kidding. Kidding! But seriously. tongue

Would you hold these three things against me? Call it strike three. Or would you find a guy with those goals kinda refreshing?

If you were the umpire how many "strikes" would you give me?

And if you said "none" then we should get married. wink

Here's to a life of fishin Gone Fishing! and chickens Chicken???!

beer

And a little less beer...and a little more Jesus. Praying

Apr 2nd 2014 new
hug this is so refreshing and well articulate with a great sense of humor clap thumbsup highfive

starter fresh organic eggs, chicken, fish, and home grown vegetables, you cann't beat that from buying in the grocery stores for sure ... this is so tempting for me to move and say outta of here ....

www.bostonglobe.com.

Apr 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Eric-929127 said: Midway through I've decided there are three things I want out of life. And though I absolutely believe in heaven. At the risk of sounding like a hippie I think we were put here to have fun.

Though in the Obama years life has felt much more like the punishment described in the Bible.

But we're not Protestants. We weren't meant to have two jobs while others have none. I believe being Catholic means taking what you got and making the best of it.

1) I want to go fishing alot. Dad left me a place in Michigan and I can afford it. It forces me to not do other things so that I may preserve it.

2) I want chickens very much. Now I realize that may require that I put my career first so I can afford the acreage. After that however the organic egg business may even turn a profit.

Guess those are both good things. One keeps me frivolous and two can become a second job even. So maybe Catholics and Protestants aren't that different.

3) I want a wife and family. To share the previous two dreams with. Which leads to the very important question.

Will we have to pay our children ten bucks an hour to work on our farm?

Kidding. Kidding! But seriously.

Would you hold these three things against me? Call it strike three. Or would you find a guy with those goals kinda refreshing?

If you were the umpire how many "strikes" would you give me?

And if you said "none" then we should get married.

Here's to a life of fishin and chickens !

And a little less beer...and a little more Jesus.

Hmmm....?! scratchchin Love the sense of humor! laughing

If I were younger I would have to say 0 strikes! biggrin

Sense of humor mixed with hard work and attainable dreams in the beauty of "God's country" (Whoops,, isn't Michigan the state known as the Fisherman's Playground?), go for it! goldfish

Apr 2nd 2014 new
I see nothing wrong with what you want at all! At least you have the means to do what you want and know what you are doing. I myself want to get out of the big city and raise babydoll sheep... yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone is free to laugh at me, but it's true! I realize that it will be some years before I get there, but I WILL get there one day... just a matter of time. Nothing wrong with farming, my friend! I think it is an honest way to live :) More power to you, your fishing and chickens!
Apr 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: this is so refreshing and well articulate with a great sense of humor

starter fresh organic eggs, chicken, fish, and home grown vegetables, you cann't beat that from buying in the grocery stores for sure ... this is so tempting for me to move and say outta of here ....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2013/11/12/canterbury-first-generation-farmers-dive...

Glad you enjoyed it. Wasn't sure I should have posted it. Just another self absorbed display of my introvertedness.

My profile still needs some work, but maybe I'm getting closer to what women want after all.

It's gotta be better than dance clubs on the weekend and a trip to the Caribbean on three weeks vacation.

eyebrow
Apr 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Nell-1028064 said:

Hmmm....?! Love the sense of humor!

If I were younger I would have to say 0 strikes!

Sense of humor mixed with hard work and attainable dreams in the beauty of "God's country" (Whoops,, isn't Michigan the state known as the Fisherman's Playground?), go for it!

There is a fine line though between a sense of humor and a wicked case of bitter sarcasm. laughing

Glad you percieved it as the former. 50 isn't too old though really. I've found I have more in common with women five years older than me than five years younger anyways. It's a shame America has gone in that direction (left). But politics is never very funny.

Which reminds me about the joke a Christian girl told me all those years ago.

About a family of moles living by a farmhouse. Daddy mole pokes his nose up towards the hole. "Mmm...I smell eggs and bacon" Momma mole pokes her nose up too. "Mmm...I smell pancakes."

Baby mole pokes his nose up and says, "Mmm...I smell molasses".

Bow

Apr 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Anya-974452 said: I see nothing wrong with what you want at all! At least you have the means to do what you want and know what you are doing. I myself want to get out of the big city and raise babydoll sheep... yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone is free to laugh at me, but it's true! I realize that it will be some years before I get there, but I WILL get there one day... just a matter of time. Nothing wrong with farming, my friend! I think it is an honest way to live :) More power to you, your fishing and chickens!
Thank you Dearest. I used to have a goat thing until I learned they will eat all your trees. Sheep in fact make better lawn mowers.

Ah but alas the means to attain the second goal haven't come yet. ashamed
Apr 3rd 2014 new
You're wasting your time putting preconditions on what you must do/have before you can do/have what you want. Stop thinking like that and just do it. Don't worry about cost. Manage whatever money you have well, pray, live right, don't fuss, and you can have these things.

You don't need acreage for chickens. If you have a small yard and/or a garage, you have room. I lived on the lower east side of Manhattan which is perhaps the most densely populated square mile on the entire east coast. and a couple of my neighbors kept chickens in their tiny apartments. Sometimes they put them in the basement. On warm days, they were roaming around on the roof with Abuelita sitting up there on her folding lawn chair to keep an eye out for chicken-stealing marauders. In many of the tightest-packed urban neighborhoods here in Cleveland, I see signs on porches advertising fresh eggs for sale. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Apr 3rd 2014 new
And the best news is that given time, people will forget about the mole joke!
Apr 3rd 2014 new
(quote) David-364112 said: You're wasting your time putting preconditions on what you must do/have before you can do/have what you want. Stop thinking like that and just do it. Don't worry about cost. Manage whatever money you have well, pray, live right, don't fuss, and you can have these things.

You don't need acreage for chickens. If you have a small yard and/or a garage, you have room. I lived on the lower east side of Manhattan which is perhaps the most densely populated square mile on the entire east coast. and a couple of my neighbors kept chickens in their tiny apartments. Sometimes they put them in the basement. On warm days, they were roaming around on the roof with Abuelita sitting up there on her folding lawn chair to keep an eye out for chicken-stealing marauders. In many of the tightest-packed urban neighborhoods here in Cleveland, I see signs on porches advertising fresh eggs for sale. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Chickens are cheap to get into. However the responsibility of keeping them may put an end to my trips to Michigan. I need a place closer to where I camp to do both things. Which means a new job maybe or talking my boss into a Western Michigan office. I do hear right now the area is booming in servicing the Detroit side auto industry.

Plus where I live right now has a half acre law and I'm sitting on a third. But it's a corner lot and it's perfect. Plus it's getting to be time for a new shed and the old one would make a perfect chicken coop. It's got a work bench across from the window which whould make a great laying/nesting area. Good rafters up above for roosting. It's still structurally sound enough to lift up one side at a time to put fencing under it so the predators don't chew through the floor. Thinking a little swimming pool paint on the floor and a couple of feet up the walls would make it washable.

I have very much thought this through but laws here say no to chickens. But yes to hot tub parties. I just don't get it.

Chickens are so innocent. I picture girls coming over in long summer dresses for a sip of lemonade on a sunny day. That's my screening process. I've already asked and most girls I've met would definately visit to commune with the chickens. Chickens will find me the wife that I'm after.

I'm sure of it. cool

Posts 1 - 10 of 70