Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Calling all gardeners!!!

Apr 4th 2014 new
Okay, I am putting this post here because I have heard gardening is an enjoyable hobby. . .I wouldn't know since I am death to all things possessing chlorophyll and roots. . . but I have hope. . .I am going to try and start small, the little garden area in my front yard . . .currently occupied by the pitiful remains of the beautiful huge hydrangea or something that was here and blooming two summers ago when I bought the house. I am serious about being death to plants. . . .

So I need ideas of some lovely but really, really, realllllllly hearty plants to try and keep alive for this gardening season. . . the garden area is on the east side of the house so it has morning sun and afternoon shade. . .
Apr 4th 2014 new
Lauren,

I worked in a few nurseries in my time and one of the best performing perennials is this:
www.brecks.com.

This is the flowering shrub you see in all shopping center parking lot centers, so it's pretty ubiquitous. Roses tend to thrive in at least 6 hrs. of sunlight, but this one can tolerate a little less. Knock Out shrub rose.

This was popular as well:
www.brighterblooms.com

They are a compact shrub version of Crape Myrtles.

Otherwise, standard popular perennials include Rudbeckia, Shasta daisies, Echinacea, but I would check how many hours of sunlight you actually have in that location.

Apr 4th 2014 new
Thanks Sara, I will check them out and since I am home tomorrow I will clock the sunlight -- unless it rains lol. . . fingers crossed :-)
Apr 4th 2014 new
Here's another suggestion which is a popular shrub:

www.greatgardenplants.com

My parents have theirs in part shade and it still flowers well. Thing is, this shrub can get leggy and is grows vigorously. It draws butterflies, as the name indicates. There's a very dark purple variety that is stunning, but it comes in a variety of bloom colors. It's always good to consider other habitat: hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, birds...

Apr 5th 2014 new
Hi Lauren, bet you didn't know that I like to garden. What temperature zone are you in out there in OK? How much space are you working with? Are you looking for year round interest? Have you checked out those native to your are? Do you think I am making this too complicated? rolling eyes
Apr 6th 2014 new
HI Carol, lol. . . we are in a temperate zone. . .however our summers have become brutal. . . but, the problem is me. . . my dad was and my mom is totally green from head to toe and can resurrect dead plants. . . me. . . nothing. My dad decided it was time for me to learn when I was a kid. Side by side we planted the flower garden. . . his side came up beautifully nothing on my side grew. . . nothing. . . so he gets me a barrel cactus because nothing can kill those. . . mine was great looking on one side and if you turned it around totally rotted out, so then he brings me a plant in a terrarium because one needs not do anything with those right. . . mine turned brown and fell apart. . . after that I was allowed only to harvest in the vegetable garden.

When I bought my house 18 months ago, there was a beautiful hydrangea in the front garden, full of blooms. I cut it back as directed by all my plant loving friends and last year it came back nice and green but never developed any blooms. . . this year it will not be coming back, it could not be any deader. I have the greenest lawn on the block because it is all clover and dandelions - despite putting weed and feed on it. . .

But, I love flowers. I am just afraid it will become the same frustrating, self-esteem destroyer that sewing or any other needlework is for me. If the zombie apocalypse came tomorrow, my family would have no meat to eat because I can't hunt, no vegetables to eat because I can't keep a plant alive for anything, and would have to run around naked because I can't sew either. . . or knit. . .or crochet. . . I did do a latch hook square of Garfield the cat which came out looking sort of like a cat in a abstract sort of way.

I can however flint knap and start fires so maybe I can barter for the other stuff lol. . .

So, I need very simple, can't kill sort of flowers. . .you will laugh, but I have some of those small bales of hay one gets at Halloween time, and into them I have stuck garden decorations that are flowers on a trellis made of metal and painted bright colors . . . that is my garden. . . pathetic I know. But, I really do want to try and get past this wretched deficiency in my abilities. . . :-)

Apr 6th 2014 new

What type of garden are you planning on growing? Do you want perennials (come back every year) or annuals? Flowers or veggies/food garden? Using fertilizers or not? Most of OK is Zone 7. If you have the cactus, you're probably near TX and Zone 8. Going with native plants is always a best bet.

Apr 6th 2014 new
(quote) Adrienne-739200 said:

What type of garden are you planning on growing? Do you want perennials (come back every year) or annuals? Flowers or veggies/food garden? Using fertilizers or not? Most of OK is Zone 7. If you have the cactus, you're probably near TX and Zone 8. Going with native plants is always a best bet.

Hi Adrienne,

I would love to do a vegetable garden, we always had one growing up and I love the fresh vegetables, but I am trying to start small. The spot in the front of the house is about 3ft by 5 ft and has morning sun. We can grow lots of things here. . . I am sAmack in the middle of Oklahoma. I adore tulips and have tried more than once to plant bulbs but they never come up :-(, I am probably planting them upside down or something lol. . .

I just want some flowers that will grow despite me being in the equation.

The little spot is really a nice area and I know things will grow there. It stays moist but doesn't flood, so it has good run-off. And, the soil is nice and dark, very rich, so that should be a benefit as well.

A friend of mine suggested I try the square foot gardening as well for vegetables, since it is much smaller scale than a big vegetable garden, so if I can get some flowers in the ground and surviving I might consider the other as well, if not this year then maybe for next year.

My ultimate goal is to have a serenity garden on one half of my back yard -- I have a lot of yard. . . in honor of my late husband, but it might end up just a sand garden and a prayer path if I can't grow any plants lol. . . which Pete would more than understand he knew me well. . . giving me an ivy one year for Valentines which didn't make it to St. Patrick's Day.

Apr 6th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hi Adrienne,

I would love to do a vegetable garden, we always had one growing up and I love the fresh vegetables, but I am trying to start small. The spot in the front of the house is about 3ft by 5 ft and has morning sun. We can grow lots of things here. . . I am sAmack in the middle of Oklahoma. I adore tulips and have tried more than once to plant bulbs but they never come up :-(, I am probably planting them upside down or something lol. . .

I just want some flowers that will grow despite me being in the equation.

The little spot is really a nice area and I know things will grow there. It stays moist but doesn't flood, so it has good run-off. And, the soil is nice and dark, very rich, so that should be a benefit as well.

A friend of mine suggested I try the square foot gardening as well for vegetables, since it is much smaller scale than a big vegetable garden, so if I can get some flowers in the ground and surviving I might consider the other as well, if not this year then maybe for next year.

My ultimate goal is to have a serenity garden on one half of my back yard -- I have a lot of yard. . . in honor of my late husband, but it might end up just a sand garden and a prayer path if I can't grow any plants lol. . . which Pete would more than understand he knew me well. . . giving me an ivy one year for Valentines which didn't make it to St. Patrick's Day.

It is funny you posted about a garden, I was thinking today I would plant a vegetable and herb garden, I have had a few in the past, My brother in law has a degree in horticulture and always helped us out. Like you said it gets very hot here in the summer, a couple of years ago it was 116 .One year , I had to cover our vegetable garden,If you will check with your local ag extension office, they have some good resources by phone and also on line.
Apr 6th 2014 new
I registered today for our community garden. Gardening here is a challenge(to put it mildly). We currently still have 2' of snow on the ground and it will be another month before it disappears. Our growing season averages 89 days of frost-free weather. so, our growing season is short! Nonetheless, I do intend to plant a garden in late May. Of course, I do want to plant Yukon Gold potatoes too!
Posts 1 - 10 of 27