Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hello Dear CM'ers!

I was an active member of CM a few years ago and just recently re-subscribed!! I enjoyed the fora and the variety of topics.

So, here's one I think would be interesting. We're all here to hopefully find someone we connect with and build a relationship with. The process can be fun but also taxing at times. So....what is some of the most valuable advice you've gotten with regards to dating?

Have a fabulous Sunday!!!:) wave biggrin
Apr 6th 2014 new
Hello,

Nothing much really other than that we have to be thick skinned about it. Keep in mind that all individuals are different and what classic rules apply to some may not apply to others.
Case in point: my darling sisters who look over me said that I can be quite opinionated and can have a big mouth so when meeting a lady on line or in the macro, tone it down, let them do all the talking and keep a very low profile letting her do all the talking and not coming across as a smart ass know-it-all but a humble and meeker mild manner chap initially. OK, fair enough.

Well as it turns out I connected with a really nice lady who is really sensitive to others, has a lot of things in common with me but this time, right off the bat she dropped an unexpected bomb shell on me .She essentially asked me right away in different words if I were a man or a mouse when it came to speaking up about contentious issues such as politics in religion. I said yes, I loved arguing and debating and then she posed a good one. We had a great argument and debate and I had to type till my fingers were numb as she differed from me in her opinion but we got it over with and moved on to other topics. Since that point we are getting along just great and I've never had such a good time with someone on line. I'm just concentrating on her now and we shall see how things evolve from here. On the other hand, early on before I met her I had two ladies block me; one probably for telling her I had studied South African history and knew about her country in a more or less humorous way and another one because I gave her my two denarii worth saying why you have to be very cautious on the net and the trouble you can get into if you fall in love quick and don't keep your wits about you.

So again advice and rules that work for some do not work for others.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

PS - My new friend kicked my butt in the argument when I thought I had it made, lol. She'll be a handful but that is the way I like it!
Apr 6th 2014 new
A good Catholic therapist friend who had been through a divorce, annulment and remarriage told me this: "Choose carefully the pond you fish from." He was, of course, referring to the process of finding a spouse and where we 'go' to do that.
Apr 6th 2014 new
This makes me chuckle. cloud

My mother always said, "Let the man be the man."

pirate
Apr 6th 2014 new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: A good Catholic therapist friend who had been through a divorce, annulment and remarriage told me this: "Choose carefully the pond you fish from." He was, of course, referring to the process of finding a spouse and where we 'go' to do that.
Oh, yes, I think that is excellent advice!
The pond at the local bar or race track is usually quite different from the pond at the library or church or volunteering at the food pantry or homeless shelter, etc, although there can be overlapping of course, but the chances of a better 'catch' differ greatly pond to pond!
Apr 6th 2014 new
(quote) Nessa-1054423 said: Hello Dear CM'ers!

I was an active member of CM a few years ago and just recently re-subscribed!! I enjoyed the fora and the variety of topics.

So, here's one I think would be interesting. We're all here to hopefully find someone we connect with and build a relationship with. The process can be fun but also taxing at times. So....what is some of the most valuable advice you've gotten with regards to dating?

Have a fabulous Sunday!!!:)
Just be yourself!
Apr 6th 2014 new
Pray to find a spouse. My mother told me that when she attended a Catholic university where they were taught by the nuns ( she is 76) the nuns always told them to pray for a good spouse. I think that is good advice.
Apr 6th 2014 new

Now that I got my opinion out of the way in my last post, I'll offer you one piece of advice:

If you want to know what makes a relationship not work, talk to someone who's been divorced/annulled. They can tell you all day and twice on Sunday what doesn't work.

If you want to know what DOES work, talk to a widow/widower. They have much more to offer, as they've all been in relationships that ultimately served their Divine purpose. 99 out of 100 times, these are the people whose advice I seek. They've been where I seek to go and have realized the success that I hope to realize.

That's the only piece of advice I'm qualified to offer. Anything else would be nothing but an opinion.

theheart
Apr 6th 2014 new

Pray, trust God, be open
Apr 6th 2014 new
Some really insightful responses here! Thanks everyone!!!!:) biggrin wave
Posts 1 - 10 of 100