Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

I was asked this week, "What would you say, Kevin, (has been) your greatest accomplishment in life?"

It took a bit of searching to answer those ten words.
I wrote back:

I have, what has felt like, three lives.

In the military, I was excellent at my job and enjoyed living in so many different cultures. My highest point in that career occurred while I was teaching at the US Army Intelligence and Security Command and School. I was awarded the Master Instructor Certification. This recognition is given by civilian educators from the US Army Training and Doctrine Command at the Department of Defense. Videos are reviewed of your teaching techniques, and samples of your ability to research develop, write, evaluate and revise technical and geopolitical lesson plans are scrutinized. One instructor a year is chosen from each branch of service. I was honored. I miss teaching and wish I had a profession that lent itself to that endeavor.

After my injury and year long hospitalization, I challenged myself to pursue a new career and lifestyle that would demonstrate and assist others to realize that, "Life exists after traumatic injury or illness and can be even better than the life you sought before." I studied recreation as a form of rehabilitation and reintegration for individuals within their family, community, and to reestablish intimacy with those who cared for and about them.

As an athlete, having the privilege to represent my country at the 1988 Seoul and the 1992 Barcelona Paralympics. To enter a stadium behind your nation's flag and seeing hundreds of thousand spectators is an overwhelming sense of pride, joy, and honor. To have achieved 3 gold, a silver, and 2 bronze medals in my sport felt like justifying my country's belief in me as an ambassador and a representation of what IS possible.

I suppose the greatest of these times has been the interweaving threads of joy, fear, pride and challenge in being a parent and watching my children strive to succeed.
I can hardly wait to see what the next chapter offers...

It is interesting what we can learn about ourselves when asked a poignant question!
Apr 6th 2014 new
(quote) Kevin-395756 said: I was asked this week, "What would you say, Kevin, (has been) your greatest accomplishment in life?"

It took a bit of searching to answer those ten words.
I wrote back:

I have, what has felt like, three lives.

In the military, I was excellent at my job and enjoyed living in so many different cultures. My highest point in that career occurred while I was teaching at the US Army Intelligence and Security Command and School. I was awarded the Master Instructor Certification. This recognition is given by civilian educators from the US Army Training and Doctrine Command at the Department of Defense. Videos are reviewed of your teaching techniques, and samples of your ability to research develop, write, evaluate and revise technical and geopolitical lesson plans are scrutinized. One instructor a year is chosen from each branch of service. I was honored. I miss teaching and wish I had a profession that lent itself to that endeavor.

After my injury and year long hospitalization, I challenged myself to pursue a new career and lifestyle that would demonstrate and assist others to realize that, "Life exists after traumatic injury or illness and can be even better than the life you sought before." I studied recreation as a form of rehabilitation and reintegration for individuals within their family, community, and to reestablish intimacy with those who cared for and about them.

As an athlete, having the privilege to represent my country at the 1988 Seoul and the 1992 Barcelona Paralympics. To enter a stadium behind your nation's flag and seeing hundreds of thousand spectators is an overwhelming sense of pride, joy, and honor. To have achieved 3 gold, a silver, and 2 bronze medals in my sport felt like justifying my country's belief in me as an ambassador and a representation of what IS possible.

I suppose the greatest of these times has been the interweaving threads of joy, fear, pride and challenge in being a parent and watching my children strive to succeed.
I can hardly wait to see what the next chapter offers...

It is interesting what we can learn about ourselves when asked a poignant question!
Welcome Kevin, to the Forums! Excellent topic. Definitely worth pondering. wave
Apr 7th 2014 new

Whoa. I wonder if any of us can match you on this, kiddo.

It's not a question I, personally, enjoy thinking about.

Apr 7th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Whoa. I wonder if any of us can match you on this, kiddo.

It's not a question I, personally, enjoy thinking about.

great topic and very warm welcome Kevin wave smile .... must join w/Marge and Nicole .... thanks again for giving us more reflection ....
Apr 9th 2014 new
My greatest accomplished is that I SURVIVED!!!
boggled eyepopping rolling eyes
Apr 9th 2014 new
Seriously.... What a great post and topic Kevin... You've accomplished a great deal and have given the rest of us much to ponder... *smile*

After thinking about it for a while, and from the perspective of my recent "big" birthday I really do think the greatest thing I've accomplished is that with God's grace... I did survive some pretty tough things, and somehow managed to grab onto the grace that hard things carry within them. (Certainly not my own doing)

I am the mother of twelve... Two died a day after birth, six were early miscarriages, and four I've had the privilege of raising to adulthood. I've had six c-sections which took a toll on my health as well. But I've discovered that my lost little ones, and even the health complications are my greatest treasures. I've learned so much.... one big thing is that life on earth is precious and short. Heaven became so much more real to me. When I think about it... I suffered just a tiny bit to get eight of my kids to their eternal bliss. Now for my living kids? Totally different story!!! rolling eyes

Another thing I'm proud of is somehow managing to homeschool for 16 years during that time of having and loosing babies. There are pluses and minuses to this approach, but over all... I'm very happy I took that route. Even though my kids have made some crazy choices as adults... I'm slowly watching them come back to the foundation they were raised with...

The other really big thing is totally a "God thing", which is learning how to trust Him, and The Body of Christ as I picked up the pieces, and found a new life after the devastation of divorce. It's been the most bitter/sweet time of my entire life. Yes... It was more painful and earth shattering than I could ever imagine, but inside of all that there have been incredible blessings. My faith deepened... a great counselor and spiritual director appeared out of no where... employment appeared that not only paid the bills, but seemed to address deep things going on in my soul... And the friends and activities have been incredible! (You wonderful CM people have been among the best... *smile*) I really have not a thing here accept to ask God for healing and try to do the hardest of things.... TRUST.

I think that may be the biggest accomplishment... to simply take my shaking, quaking heart and place it, with all its foibles and weaknesses, into our loving Saviors strong and capable hands. It's a task I have to redo daily... But my goodness, what a difference it makes... There really is such a thing as peace of heart. (again not always accomplished, but more and more a reality)

Guess I got off on a tangent this evening, but what can I say? It's LENT... (and it's been a doozy!)

His Peace to all... theheart
Thanks for asking Kevin
May 26th 2014 new
WOW! Awesome! Thank you for sharing.
May 26th 2014 new
I do not consider any of my accomplishments all that great, but God has certainly blessed me in spite of tragedy. I have had athletic success, been featured on many news shows, written a book, and spoken to many people. I would have never done these things if I had not chosen to fall into my faith during my darkest hours. I appreciate success is only because it is a platform for this shy (and I am improving) to talk of my faith.
May 26th 2014 new
This is one of my blessings and interviews. It will tell you some very personal things about me--Team Disney Inspiration
youtu.be
May 26th 2014 new
(quote) Linda-756196 said: This is one of my blessings and interviews. It will tell you some very personal things about me--Team Disney Inspiration
http://youtu.be/cPpusqCuuEc
That was very beautiful and touching, than you for sharing. Praying theheart
Posts 1 - 10 of 28