Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Hi, all. I forget that we're not the mainstream. Raised Catholic Charismatic, surrounded by Catholic Charismatics, come here and feel out of place. Now I understand that Protestants may get into some stuff that is off-putting, but the Catholic Charismatics ROCK. Healing gifts alone are a wonderful demonstration of God's love for us. And the gifts of knowledge, tongues, prophecy, etc..... can't imagine life without them! Has anyone heard of Damian Stayne? How can the charisms be bad? (I need a singles site for Catholic Charismatics.)
Apr 9th 2014 new
There's nothing wrong with authentic Catholic Charismatics. I've met a few over the years.

Have you known any Charismatics that delved into their charisms a little too far?
Or felt that they trumped Church teaching?
Or struggled with the idea that such should be tested against Church teaching? (1 John 4:1)

What do you recommend in such situations?
Apr 9th 2014 new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: There's nothing wrong with authentic Catholic Charismatics. I've met a few over the years.

Have you known any Charismatics that delved into their charisms a little too far?
Or felt that they trumped Church teaching?
Or struggled with the idea that such should be tested against Church teaching? (1 John 4:1)

What do you recommend in such situations?
I've not experienced those who delve a little too far. I know they're out there, but I don't know what it looks like, nor where the problem lies, so I have no recommendation. I've met people who disregard the Charismatics because they lack understanding, or just have a different view, or who've had questionable experiences.

I can't imagine the Church without the charisms.

cloudnine
Apr 9th 2014 new
(quote) Katie-1043679 said: Hi, all. I forget that we're not the mainstream. Raised Catholic Charismatic, surrounded by Catholic Charismatics, come here and feel out of place. Now I understand that Protestants may get into some stuff that is off-putting, but the Catholic Charismatics ROCK. Healing gifts alone are a wonderful demonstration of God's love for us. And the gifts of knowledge, tongues, prophecy, etc..... can't imagine life without them! Has anyone heard of Damian Stayne? How can the charisms be bad? (I need a singles site for Catholic Charismatics.)
Please don't feel out of place, Katie. I am part of the Catholic Charismatic community as well.

As St. Paul states in the following reference, there are authentic gifts of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

"Now, concerning what you wrote about the gifts from the Holy Spirit. I want you to know the truth about them, my brothers. You know while you were still heathen, you were led astray in many ways to the worship of lifeless idols. I want you to know that no one who is led by God's Spirit can say "A curse on Jesus!" and no one can confess "Jesus is Lord!," unless he is guided by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. There are different ways of serving, but the same Lord is served. There are different abilities to perform service, but the same God gives ability to everyone for their particular service. The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all. The Spirit gives one person a message full of wisdom, while to another person the same Spirit gives a message full of knowledge. One and the same Spirit gives faith to one person, while to another person he gives the power to heal. The Spirit gives one person the power to work miracles; to another, the gift of speaking God's message; and to yet another, the ability to tell the difference between gifts that come from the Spirit and those that do not. To one person he gives the ability to speak in strange tongues, and to another he gives the ability to explain what is said. But it is one and the same Spirit who does all this; as he wishes, he gives a different gift to each person."

My observation has been that there is a great deal of misuse of certain gifts. In a society that promotes the New Age movement, psychics and such, we are going to encounter those who produce supernatural effects that are not genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit. Satan has attempted to counterfeit and corrupt every pure and authentic gift from the Lord.

Peace to you, Katie.

Apr 9th 2014 new
What are your thoughts about being obedient to the Church in charismatic matters?
Do you believe the Church has authority over discernment of gifts?
Do you believe when someone gets a vision, the Church has final say over it? ie: Mejugorge?

Apr 9th 2014 new
You see, I left the Church through the Charismatic door and was protestant for 18 years.
I'm all for spiritual gifts/charisms, when they are valid. I've seen hundreds of "manifestations" of spiritual gifts that were pretend. I'm very cautious.
Apr 9th 2014 new
(quote) Katie-1043679 said: Hi, all. I forget that we're not the mainstream. Raised Catholic Charismatic, surrounded by Catholic Charismatics, come here and feel out of place. Now I understand that Protestants may get into some stuff that is off-putting, but the Catholic Charismatics ROCK. Healing gifts alone are a wonderful demonstration of God's love for us. And the gifts of knowledge, tongues, prophecy, etc..... can't imagine life without them! Has anyone heard of Damian Stayne? How can the charisms be bad? (I need a singles site for Catholic Charismatics.)
Counterfeits do not last, God's gifts do! If we had a singles site for Charismatic Catholics there would be a whole lot of praying . . . for each other . . . out loud . . going on! Sign me up!

The gifts are for the building up of the body of Christ. Those who are in leadership should always exhibit humility and obedience to Holy Mother Church. It is by our fruits that others know us.

Blessings sister!
Apr 9th 2014 new
(quote) Sandra-202758 said: You see, I left the Church through the Charismatic door and was protestant for 18 years.
I'm all for spiritual gifts/charisms, when they are valid. I've seen hundreds of "manifestations" of spiritual gifts that were pretend. I'm very cautious.
I've also seen many manifestations that were of a demonic origin. Satan has the ability to masquerade as an angel of light. Thank you for sharing your experience, Sandra.
Apr 9th 2014 new
Hi, I don't think there is anything wrong with the Charismatics.
But when I was younger I used to travel with friends to Charismatic retreats and I saw many people pretending they have a gift. I decided to don't go more because I didn't feel good there. Sometimes I go with my aunt to a Charismatic Mass or a prayer group. The Parish I go has a Charismatic priest but he use celebrate the Mass balancing beteween Charismatic and Traditional and I love.
Apr 9th 2014 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: Counterfeits do not last, God's gifts do! If we had a singles site for Charismatic Catholics there would be a whole lot of praying . . . for each other . . . out loud . . going on! Sign me up!

The gifts are for the building up of the body of Christ. Those who are in leadership should always exhibit humility and obedience to Holy Mother Church. It is by our fruits that others know us.

Blessings sister!

Yes, charisms are for SERVICE to the body of Christ.

Amen, sisters! Good News biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 185