Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

www.telegraph.co.uk..

"Hallelujah" has been transformed into a wedding song by a priest in Ireland.

I got goosebumps watching the face of this humble priest on the altar with
his magnificent God-given voice, and his subtle smile at the end of the song.

I hope you are able to view it. Let me know.

Apr 11th 2014 new
I tried your link but it directs me to a page that is unavailable.
Apr 12th 2014 new
I found a different link to this the same thing: www.youtube.com

It made me cry.
Apr 12th 2014 new

Ellen:

Thank you for the revised link. I should have known that the UK link might
cause trouble.

This song, with the revised words, fit for a wedding, is so wonderful. If
possible, it should be a song sung at Catholic weddings. I don't know
if the priest made up the words, but they should be published with
permission.

Boy, that priest really stayed in character throughout the whole song. Then
at the end, you could see the terribly subdued smile he generated after the
audience reaction to the song. That smile was worth a thousand bows from
a performer. And the sweetness, yet powerfulness of the priest's voice
was what made the song so powerful.

Hopefully, you can use that song at your wedding in the near future.

Apr 12th 2014 new
I've watched it at least 10 times today and cried very time. Beautiful! And, what a wonderful wedding present for this bride and groom who are just beginning their live together.
Apr 12th 2014 new
Leonard Cohen has written and re-written the lyrics to Hallelujah countless times. There was a Leonard Cohen tribute album in the early '90s called I'm Your Fan, on which John Cale (of Velvet Underground fame) was to sing Hallelujah. He asked Cohen for the lyrics and Cohen faxed him dozens of pages of lyrics, arguing that they were ALL lyrics to Hallelujah. Cale picked the seven verses that he thought told the most coherent story, and since then, those seven verses are the "standard" way that everyone sings it. I've seen Cohen live a few times and he always slips in a few extra verses when he plays it with his own band.

Obviously the lyrics the priest used, which reference the couple by name, are just made up, but it's possible (unlikely IMO) that some of those lyrics were actually Leonard Cohen's.
Apr 12th 2014 new
I liked the improvised words. This song always gives me goose bumps when i hear it.. wink
Apr 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jan-805954 said: I've watched it at least 10 times today and cried very time. Beautiful! And, what a wonderful wedding present for this bride and groom who are just beginning their live together.
I've got you beat, Jan. I've watched it at least 20 times! "Hallelujah" has long been one of my favorite songs (hitherto with Jeff Buckley and Bon Jovi covers). The profound kindness and heartfelt blessings this priest bestows upon this young couple does evoke tears. Since this video has gone viral, Father Kelley's public comments continue with grace and humility. What an exemplary model of a priest!
Apr 13th 2014 new
I saw that YouTube video earlier this week and the first thing that came to me is WHY! yes I had a RED flag moment yes the priest has a good voice and it was kind of him to share his God given gift with the couple. But there is a time and a place for that this is a Holy Mass to give one self fully to Our Lord Jesus Christ in praise,
genuflecting ect and in this case also to celebrate the beauty of Holy matrimony .You see when the priest sang the focus was on him not GOD. And as for that clapping at the end
something one would see at a concert or at your local Church of Nice.
Apr 13th 2014 new

I thought it was a beautiful Catholic moment. It was also taken out of context. The priest did not sing a song and declare the couple married. The excerpt is part of the wedding Mass that took place, and it was just one part of the priest's duties on that day.

Catholics are allowed to sing at Mass. The priest is allowed to sing at Mass. The priest is allowed to chant the Gospel Acclamation also. The priest leads Mass, so the attention of those gathered at Mass focuses on the priest anyway; it's not like he interrupted Jesus himself and "took over". It's also not like he sang "Happy Birthday" or "Shake Your Tail Feathers" or "Honky Tonk Man". The song was "Hallelujah".

There are people who criticize Catholic weddings because all of the focus is (allegedly) on the flowers and the bride's dress, and how many people in the bridal party, etc. The critics miss the point. That couple could have just shacked up. Likewise, criticism of the priest because he sang "Hallelujah" misses the point. He could have just gone through the motions, read everything, and made no impression on anyone about the sanctity of the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

Posts 1 - 10 of 56