Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

This is a question for everybody that puts on their profile that they prefer their current location/area for living. Just how practical or realistic is your location for somebody else or why do you think they would want to live in an area that is clearly not good for certain reasons?

I pose this question, because I see many profiles of ladies on here in less then desirable locations of the US. Like where I live at in the Rust Belt/Great Lakes region, young people under the age of 40 just do not move here or stay in this part of the country. This part of the country is probably the worst area of the country that you can live if you are under 40 and I think it would be hard to get any decent person to want to move here.

I see more then enough proof that people under the age of 40 do not stay in this part of the country, I have seen it happen for the last 25 years and when you have a depressed area with an older population, it just simply will not attract young people

I am pretty sure if I find the right lady on here that it will be a long distance relationship and I will be the one that ends up moving, because this part of the country is just not desirable for a young to early middle aged adult

Mark
Apr 28th 2014 new
Hello,

Well its is OK and sufficient in an older blue collar sort of neighborhood but it is constantly improving, very safe, good neighbors conveniences and beautiful huge elm trees to boot;10 minutes by bus to downtown. Right now the problem I have is that I am in disarray at the moment. My house is being renovated with the main level done. There is still the upstairs and some helterskelter work to finish in the basement. When my wife passed away last year I had to get the contractor to out the work on hold but gave him a retainer for the time being so he will be back to finish over the summer. I had been out mostly in the field working for several months and just got back April 1.

Ah, to add insult to injury, I had to take a lot of stuff from the Mexican Association my wife ran from fridges to file cabinets, costumes and store them here for the time being. Lets just say I could qualify for The Hoarder reality series now with respect to my basement. We are making decent progress though but it could be quite a spell before I'm back to normal again.

Based on my scenario, I really wouldn't want to bring a lady from here if we clicked right to my home to stay a spell. It would be rather embarrassing to say the least and she'd think I was some sort of awful slob. On the other hand if I kept procrastinating and putting off her visiting me for several months until things are back in good order she would be frustrated and really p**ed off thinking I was seriously involved with several women at once lol! .

As for country living and acreages, they are great when you are in your 20's - 40's but after that when your energy is down 50%, there are health problems and the kids are not there to help anymore with the numerous duties and maintenance, they become a very ugly albatross around your neck as some of my friends and colleagues have found out.

Cheers,

Michael
Apr 28th 2014 new
Oh, I forgot to mention that I do make my living here. The contacts I made all live in the USA thus far. I have a limited US TN work permit to work for one oil company down there for 2 years when they are drilling but if I show up elsewhere for a job I'll get kicked out for good. Given that I cannot make a legal living down there, I doubt that any American lady would want me at her side doing nothing and supporting me. We have to be realistic on that Mark.

Michael

Apr 28th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-973089 said: This is a question for everybody that puts on their profile that they prefer their current location/area for living. Just how practical or realistic is your location for somebody else or why do you think they would want to live in an area that is clearly not good for certain reasons?

I pose this question, because I see many profiles of ladies on here in less then desirable locations of the US. Like where I live at in the Rust Belt/Great Lakes region, young people under the age of 40 just do not move here or stay in this part of the country. This part of the country is probably the worst area of the country that you can live if you are under 40 and I think it would be hard to get any decent person to want to move here.

I see more then enough proof that people under the age of 40 do not stay in this part of the country, I have seen it happen for the last 25 years and when you have a depressed area with an older population, it just simply will not attract young people

I am pretty sure if I find the right lady on here that it will be a long distance relationship and I will be the one that ends up moving, because this part of the country is just not desirable for a young to early middle aged adult

Mark
Good question...... Lots of thoughts. Most fellas my age are thinking retirement in 10.years. Michigan does have employment, but is short on perception and image. A job change in your fifties isn't so easy. Fortunately, my career is mobile, in demand, and I should be able to find work for at least 15 more years. I realize /accept that I would probably be the one doing the moving. Alas, still no offers!
Apr 28th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-973089 said: This part of the country is probably the worst area of the country that you can live if you are under 40 and I think it would be hard to get any decent person to want to move here.
This post has been brought to you by the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce.

I grew up in metro Detroit and at least half of my friends moved out of state as soon as they could, but you know what? Many of those people are moving back to the midwest in their 30s and early 40s. People are attracted to more affordable home prices, open space, and - get this - they want their children to live in the same part of the country as their grandparents. I've talked to women in other parts of the country, and the reason they most cite for NOT being open to a long distance relationship is that last one - support of extended family when starting their own family.

You're right about Dayton though - what a dump! J/K - I actually like the Air Force Museum a lot. Head to head it crushes the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.
Apr 28th 2014 new
(quote) Christopher-1007273 said: This post has been brought to you by the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce.

I grew up in metro Detroit and at least half of my friends moved out of state as soon as they could, but you know what? Many of those people are moving back to the midwest in their 30s and early 40s. People are attracted to more affordable home prices, open space, and - get this - they want their children to live in the same part of the country as their grandparents. I've talked to women in other parts of the country, and the reason they most cite for NOT being open to a long distance relationship is that last one - support of extended family when starting their own family.

You're right about Dayton though - what a dump! J/K - I actually like the Air Force Museum a lot. Head to head it crushes the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.
As far as ladies wanting to be near their extended family as they raise their own families, that makes sense, but sometimes it is not realistic.

You are right about affordable homes and living in this part of the country, but unless you have really good job security, that does not help any. For some people in certain professions they can live comfortably in this part of the country and live good here

Mark
Apr 28th 2014 new
very thought provoking Topic Mark. thumbsup

I agree with the comment Christopher mentioned about the need to have extended family close by when raising a family of your own. It can see how important it is and how it can help make a difference.

As far as my location.. scratchchin
1. mostly Great Temps throughout the Year.. you're never snowed in or have to have an entire diff wardrobe for Wnter.
2. No State Income Taxes!!.. thumbsup
3. Job availability and Income is probably within the national average.. and depending on what qualifications you have.
4. Did I mention the Great Weather?! tongue biggrin
Apr 28th 2014 new
In retirement age, many want to live near grandchildren/grown children...and who is to blame them? Of course! hersheyskiss
However, if a retiree ALSO wants a wife/husband...therein lies the quandary!!!!
That spouse may still have to work...may need to be near major medical facilities? who knows?...and that is where Mark's topic strikes home for the over 55 crowd... scratchchin

Anyway, location contributes to "stalemate" for all ages/times of life in the world of CM relationships! I think that is why CM celebrates LDR's that involve sacrifice but result in marriage! theheart
Reading those sidebars can be Good News for many! biggrin

Apr 28th 2014 new
Right on, Dave!! Preach Florida to the good people!!! wave hug laughing
Apr 28th 2014 new
I think I need to amend my profile -- after the winter, I'm more than ready to consider Florida, Texas, California, etc!!
Yoohoo! Warm weather dwellers! I'm available! wave angel wink
Posts 1 - 10 of 111