Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Christian Leaders Tell Youth to Tear Up Israeli Army Forms

tinyurl.com
May 2nd 2014 new
muted Israel is the only Democracy in the Middle East.

Tell the U.S. Government to stop arming the wrong side in Syria that have killed the Christians as well as other Theocracies !
May 2nd 2014 new
(quote) John-879088 said: Israel is the only Democracy in the Middle East.

Tell the U.S. Government to stop arming the wrong side in Syria that have killed the Christians as well as other Theocracies !
John, that's a long disproven talking point~ it is a 'democracy' if you are an Israeli Jew. Why else would Netanyahu insist his country be referred to as a Jewish State? The news most of us read here in the US is 'sanitized' for our delicate sensitivities, and has monitors- The Israeli government is the only one on earth that our Congress and media criticize at their peril. We must get over the long held belief that giving our undying fealty and devotion to Israel is a major litmus test to defining an American patriot. When I pledge allegiance to the USA at our KofC Hall, the only flag I'm facing is the Stars and Stripes. If you get a chance, read George Washington's farewell address where he warns of getting into bed with any foreign country.

I was on active duty in the Navy during the Liberty incident, and in spite of LBJ's very effective coverup, I remember.

I do agree with you- we are arming the wrong side in Syria. Assad was the devil we knew- the 'cure' being far worse than the disease.

I don't want to drift off-topic here- I was merely pointing out the difficult political position of our fellow Christians who live in the Holy Land, and by no means am I comparing it to the physical danger they face in so many other parts of the world.

Dove
May 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Christian Leaders Tell Youth to Tear Up Israeli Army Forms

http://tinyurl.com/k33j885

I think we should have a mandatory draft here in America also. It will behoove

all of us to have military training. Israeli's are a very serious and nationalistic

people. Americans should become more like them and love their country

and take its survival seriously instead of the crap we see done taking this

country down year after year.

May 2nd 2014 new
The article clearly states "in order to encourage them to volunteer for military service."
The forms are not for a mandatory draft.

The United States currently has the Selective Service:
www.sss.gov
"Almost all male U.S. citizens regardless of where they live, and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S., are required to be registered with Selective Service if they are at least 18 years old but are not yet 26 years old"

Further details can be found in the article referenced above itself.
"It will behooveall of us to have military training"
I am not sure that all US citizens would agree with the above opinion.
If there is no war - I see no need for mandatory military training. Should war break out and a draft be implemented - I am sure military training will be one of the many things the US government will provide to the draftees.

" Americans should become more like them"
Sorry - but I enjoy being an American because of what IT has to offer - not because of what other countries do better or worse. Changing the US does not require war preparations, and lack thereof is not what is necessarily bringing this country down in certain areas.

The above of course is my opinion only - and as such is probably as wrong as that of anyone else in certain areas.

There are many things in this country I would like to see changed, while others in the country would say that what I see as needing change suits them just fine. But I do not think a militarization of the country is going to help either me or them change the government which we are governed by.

Do not get me wrong - I have nothing against the military, and I am thankful everyday that I have the freedoms I do because of them - may God bless them each and every day for everything they do.

May 2nd 2014 new
Upon further reading of the article:
"The forms resemble the mandatory enlistment forms distributed to both Jewish and Druze Israelis, and the army hopes that by sending these papers more young people will voluntarily enlist.

Although Christian Palestinian citizens of Israel are currently exempt from military service, along with Muslims, a government decision made this past February to re-classify Christians as a distinct ethnicity separate from "Arab" raised suspicions that mandatory enrollment would soon follow, as it did for Palestinians of the Druze community in the 1950s."

So while there is a mandatory enlistment for many, I still do not believe it is the answer here in the U.S.

May 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I think we should have a mandatory draft here in America also. It will behoove

all of us to have military training. Israeli's are a very serious and nationalistic

people. Americans should become more like them and love their country

and take its survival seriously instead of the crap we see done taking this

country down year after year.

You're being played Marianne, as most Americans are on this issue. I mean no disrespect by that, it just is what it is. I'm realistic enough to know that will not change~ there's too much money invested in the status quo. Without Israel to keep things exciting over there, what would happen to all our defense industry jobs?

"Social Justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create."
~ Saint John Paul II

May 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: You're being played Marianne, as most Americans are on this issue. I mean no disrespect by that, it just is what it is. I'm realistic enough to know that will not change~ there's too much money invested in the status quo. Without Israel to keep things exciting over there, what would happen to all our defense industry jobs?

"Social Justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create."
~ Saint John Paul II

We both know we are on different sides of this issue. I don't feel as though I am being

played because I think something had to be done for the Jews after the Holocaust Israel

was given to the Jews by God to begin with.

I do think though that the Jews take advantage of the land they were given and keep

expanding and building illegally. That is not a good thing.. I wish they would set up

land to finally have a Palestinian State to settle things.

May 2nd 2014 new
"I do think though that the Jews take advantage of the land they were given and keepexpanding and building illegally. That is not a good thing.. I wish they would set upland to finally have a Palestinian State to settle things."

Be careful Marianne, if you were an elected official or a journalist you'd wind up in a lot of trouble for using those words!

Dove Pete

May 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "I do think though that the Jews take advantage of the land they were given and keepexpanding and building illegally. That is not a good thing.. I wish they would set upland to finally have a Palestinian State to settle things."

Be careful Marianne, if you were an elected official or a journalist you'd wind up in a lot of trouble for using those words!

Pete

So be it, Pete. I am not an elected official. Just want to see things go

better in that part of the world for the Jews.

Posts 1 - 10 of 33