Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

It's Sunday afternoon and I got to thinking how many people just pass by pennies on the sidewalk these days. I was taught to always value money so pick up them up most times. Now I have a huge container I need to turn into the bank someday. Lol

So do you pick them up when you see them?

Just curious. scratchchin

May 4th 2014 new
I pick coins up for different reasons,
dimes remind me that my late husband is watching over us,
nickles his father
and pennies just because the school has penny drives for charity every year. smile
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Karen-712407 said: I pick coins up for different reasons,
dimes remind me that my late husband is watching over us,
nickles his father
and pennies just because the school has penny drives for charity every year.
Yes I do, every SINGLE time.
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Halyna-940494 said: It's Sunday afternoon and I got to thinking how many people just pass by pennies on the sidewalk these days. I was taught to always value money so pick up them up most times. Now I have a huge container I need to turn into the bank someday. Lol

So do you pick them up when you see them?

Just curious.

OK. This is not such an simple question for me. But no one has ever accused me of being easy.

On the one hand, money to me is a gift from God, as everything else in my life, so I want to bend down and pick it up.

On the other hand, I know there is surely someone else who needs it more than me, so I want to leave it there for them.

To throw another curve to this question/answer, I know for a fact that there are people who practice pagan religions that throw pennies and change in the streets to certain dieties as part of their rituals. There are certain areas of town that this happens more than others. I am mindful of this and don't want to touch that money. But how would I know this is the case for sure?

I do think about this when I see money on the floor. Sometimes, I'll pick it up and then give it to a homeless person or deposit it in the poor box when I pass a church.
May 4th 2014 new
Canada sensibly abolished the penny a year or so ago, though they still turn up now and then. So I'll amend this to "will I pick up nickels". Not usually, nor dimes. But sometimes I find myself worrying that some little kid will pick one up and swallow it, so I'm not sure that my decision is the right one. On the other hand, it's not like one hears of this happening very often.
That's a new one on me about pagan dieties--fascinating! Unless you intend to worship said dieties when you pick up the coin, I can't see any danger, since I don't believe in magic.
BTW, the Romans, with their penchant for turning everything into a god or goddess, issued coins showing a female divinity standing with a set of scales and a cornucopia, and bearing the words "Sacra Moneta". Cash is King, as they say :)

May 4th 2014 new
I pick up just about everything I see, maybe I a kleptomaniac,lol. I have found twenty dollar bills on several occasions, When in a store i turn them into to office. One night my wife and I were driving through town, came up to a stop light and there in the intersection was a door to a Chevy Corvair,I loaded it in my van and took it to the police station.
May 4th 2014 new
Today while driving, I saw a bill of some kind blowing down the middle of a busy road. I actually turned around to get it, but I didn't see it when I drove back! Boo-hoo! weeping wink
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Canada sensibly abolished the penny a year or so ago, though they still turn up now and then. So I'll amend this to "will I pick up nickels". Not usually, nor dimes. But sometimes I find myself worrying that some little kid will pick one up and swallow it, so I'm not sure that my decision is the right one. On the other hand, it's not like one hears of this happening very often.
That's a new one on me about pagan dieties--fascinating! Unless you intend to worship said dieties when you pick up the coin, I can't see any danger, since I don't believe in magic.
BTW, the Romans, with their penchant for turning everything into a god or goddess, issued coins showing a female divinity standing with a set of scales and a cornucopia, and bearing the words "Sacra Moneta". Cash is King, as they say :)

My best argument for NOT abolishing the penny (in the U.S.) is that it would cause the price of everything to go up. No one is going to round the prices for their product to the nearest nickel. They will round practically all prices UP to the nearest nickel. Not a good thing in my book.

A product selling in the grocery store for 81 or 82 cents will be rounded to 85 cents. Any sales taxes on that item would be rounded up too. The state certainly isn't going to accept 5 cents of sales tax on an item that would otherwise have a sales tax of 6 or 7 cents. They will require 10 cents. Thus, an item could have it's price inflated twice.... Once for the actual price of the item and again for the taxes paid on the item.

Keep the (other-wise nearly worthless) noble penny!

I sound like U.S. President Gerald Ford's campaign manager... Their campaign slogan was "WIN" (Whip Inflation Now). en.wikipedia.org

IMHO.

Ed
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: My best argument for NOT abolishing the penny (in the U.S.) is that it would cause the price of everything to go up. No one is going to round the prices for their product to the nearest nickel. They will round practically all prices UP to the nearest nickel. Not a good thing in my book.

A product selling in the grocery store for 81 or 82 cents will be rounded to 85 cents. Any sales taxes on that item would be rounded up too. The state certainly isn't going to accept 5 cents of sales tax on an item that would otherwise have a sales tax of 6 or 7 cents. They will require 10 cents. Thus, an item could have it's price inflated twice.... Once for the actual price of the item and again for the taxes paid on the item.

Keep the (other-wise nearly worthless) noble penny!

I sound like U.S. President Gerald Ford's campaign manager... Their campaign slogan was "WIN" (Whip Inflation Now). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_inflation_now

IMHO.

Ed
It doesn't seem to have worked out that way, Ed. At the cash register, at least, if your bill comes to $5.02, you pay $5.00 and the merchant 'loses'; if it comes to $5.03, you pay $5.05 and you 'lose'. It seems to work out. And while I'm no economist, I haven't run across any stories about a measurable rise in the cost of living here owing to the abolition of the penny. The point about taxes is perhaps a red herring because as long as people demand government services, they'll have to be paid for one way or another - the balance will shift from time to time between income, corporate, sales, property and estate taxes, but in the end, the guv'ment will always collect its revenues. And anyway, wasn't it only a short time ago that we were all being urged to worry about DEflation? :)
May 4th 2014 new
Well of course I pick them up! There are so many classic penny adages that it almost seems silly not too wink You know what they say, "Find a penny pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck..." and "Toss a penny in well, wish real hard and things'll be swell," "A penny earned (if I bend down to pick it up, I earn it, lol) is a penny saved", "A penny for your thoughts (imagine the thoughts each 'cent' can represent!)", "Pennies from heaven (aka little blessings)" and lastly, "Every penny counts!". thumbsup
Posts 1 - 10 of 80