Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"The next NSA? Police departments under scrutiny for phone, license plate surveillance"

tinyurl.com
May 4th 2014 new
Drones have been developed that can fly overhead and do the same thing, we are living in a world described by Orwell, Since 911 Many civil liberties have been dissolved. The question is what is the balance between keeping people safe and privacy rights. Also the question of using unrealistic or manufactured threats to control a population, The last question is hypothetical of course, But one should watch a movie called V for Vendetta. Here is a link form USA today that describes in layman's terms the technology of Stingray.

www.usatoday.com
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "The next NSA? Police departments under scrutiny for phone, license plate surveillance"
http://tinyurl.com/q35ed8t
I think that this is a very big problem. I have certainly seen the license plate surveillance being used by police and surveillance. I don't doubt that it can be a very effective tool for fighting crime and terrorism, but at a huge cost to our personal freedom. I don't see a real good way to stop it, with all of the Homeland Security money floating around. This same sort of thing could be used as a stationary device on any roadway to capture the comings and goings of every vehicle 24/7.

This license plate system is used at the Sacramento airport (and likely many others). It was started about 1-1/2 years ago (to my recollection). In the huge parking lots a vehicle with this automatic license plate reader drives up and down every row of vehicles a few times each day. The convenient part is that if you lose your car in the massive parking lot, they can quickly locate it on the computer at the toll booth..... But once again at the expense of our privacy.

Concerning cell phones and the ability of police to search them without a warrant (when stopped on the road).... There is a Supreme Court case being considered right now. There should be a decision soon. I believe that the case originated in California where the CHP (CA Highway Patrol) searched the smart phone of someone (who was in an accident) without a warrant.

Personally, I would rather live with less security and more freedom. I believe that Ben Franklin had something to say about that.

Ed

May 4th 2014 new
Thanks Charles for your link, and Ed for your comments. Today I photographed an apparent license plate reader across the road from my KofC hall. It's cylindrical, roughly 8-10" in diameter and about two feet tall sticking out of the ground. Green plastic housing with a camera window. I waved as I took the pictures and posted them on Facebook. On top it says:

"Channell Commercial Corporation, Telecommunications Signature Series, Temecula, California USA."

It could accidentally get knocked over by a large truck in the near future, because some folks make wide turns leaving our parking lot. Of course that's just a wild guess. scratchchin
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Thanks Charles for your link, and Ed for your comments. Today I photographed an apparent license plate reader across the road from my KofC hall. It's cylindrical, roughly 8-10" in diameter and about two feet tall sticking out of the ground. Green plastic housing with a camera window. I waved as I took the pictures and posted them on Facebook. On top it says:

"Channell Commercial Corporation, Telecommunications Signature Series, Temecula, California USA."

It could accidentally get knocked over by a large truck in the near future, because some folks make wide turns leaving our parking lot. Of course that's just a wild guess.
Wouldn't it be a shame if some of the local graffiti artists tagged it -- right over the camera lens.

May 4th 2014 new
Here in Oklahoma, the Turnpike authority has used license plate readers for many years.16 years ago, I went through a plaza and it did not read my pike pass. I was sent a letter with a photo of the rear end and side of my car, I was doing 70 and the wheels were completely still and license plate perfectly readable.
May 5th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Thanks Charles for your link, and Ed for your comments. Today I photographed an apparent license plate reader across the road from my KofC hall. It's cylindrical, roughly 8-10" in diameter and about two feet tall sticking out of the ground. Green plastic housing with a camera window. I waved as I took the pictures and posted them on Facebook. On top it says:

It could accidentally get knocked over by a large truck in the near future, because some folks make wide turns leaving our parking lot. Of course that's just a wild guess.
Peter,

I did some Google searching concerning that green plastic housing outside of your KofC hall. This is the company (see below):

channellcorp.com

channellcorp.com

Now I'm not saying that it isn't a camera, but if their literature is to be believed, then it may be simply some sort of note or access place for a local tele-communications network... perhaps a fiber-optic network for internet/phone connections or something of the sort. Just speculating, but perhaps the window (on the enclosure) that looks like a camera window may be so that someone could look in and check the status of the local network (without removing the enclosure). Perhaps there are LED lights inside that could be viewed by looking into the window... or perhaps there is some sort of meter inside that could be viewed. Just guessing.

Below are a few paragraphs that I copied from their web site:

=========================
For the Final-Mile, Channell provides single supplier solutions for totally integrated products and the highest quality coax and fibre connectivity. Complete, high-security cable management ensures network integrity; our broadband enclosures with Heat Dissipation Covers (HDC), provide active electronics equipment protection from high operating temperatures.

Channells complete line of thermoplastic and metal enclosures cover a full spectrum of secure, sealed free-breathing, fibre and active electronics applications for, broadband, digital voice, and power packages for below-ground, above-ground, and network applications.
Using the most technologically advanced tooling and manufacturing equipment and the ability to evolve and customize our products to allow our research and development department to meet the continuously changing needs of the industry.

We help get networks up and running faster with tool-less installation and environmentally sealed connections. With products designed with unique, dependable security features, and for simple, quick installation and increased reliability, Channell ensures complete customer satisfaction.

Headquartered in Temecula, CA, Channell operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in Southern California and Sydney Australia. International operations include facilities in London, UK, and Toronto, Canada. To view Channells locations, click here.
================

Just thought you would be interested.

Ed
May 5th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said:
Now I'm not saying that it isn't a camera, but if their literature is to be believed, then it may be simply some sort of note or access place for a local tele-communications network... 
Typo..... The first line in my second paragraph..... should say "may be simply some sort of node....."

Oops.

Ed
May 5th 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Here in Oklahoma, the Turnpike authority has used license plate readers for many years.16 years ago, I went through a plaza and it did not read my pike pass. I was sent a letter with a photo of the rear end and side of my car, I was doing 70 and the wheels were completely still and license plate perfectly readable.
You reminded me of this story, Charles.

I heard a news report on Chicago radio that a guy in California got a speeding ticket that was sent to him via the mail. It was one of those new "camera" set-ups that got him, where a camera is positioned along the highway, sans officer. The camera took the picture of his speeding car & tag number. A letter was generated by a computer & sent to him with the PHOTOGRAPH of his car speeding and the date & time of the offense. The letter went on to state that he had to send in a fine of $40. The story went that the guy was so mad that he sent back the letter with a PHOTOGRAPH of two (2) $20 bills. A week later he got a letter back from the police. He opened up the letter and inside was a PHOTOGRAPH of a pair of handcuffs!
Snopes says it is a true story, but than Snopes is quite liberal, so maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Jun 25th 2014 new
A ray of hope ? hotair.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 11