Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

What was your favorite treat / dessert growing up? What is it now? Do you have a special memory that goes along with it?

I like chocolate candy. I think its because we used to get some some special from my grandparents each each time they came to visit us. Chocolate covered cherries, and boxed candies.. hersheyskiss I still like chocolate candies (its chocolate after, seriously!) but try not to indulge too often.

wave
May 5th 2014 new
I loved those banana - chocolate fudge bomb pops. Today it's creme brulee.
May 5th 2014 new
My mother used to make Baked Alaska which is a feat considering you're baking ice cream and cake together, topped with meringue. It was a dessert created to commemorate the USA's purchase of Alaska in 1867.

Now I'm content making Baklava. My neighbor is a lucky recipient of it once and a whlle.

May 5th 2014 new
(quote) Halyna-940494 said: What was your favorite treat / dessert growing up? What is it now? Do you have a special memory that goes along with it?

I like chocolate candy. I think its because we used to get some some special from my grandparents each each time they came to visit us. Chocolate covered cherries, and boxed candies.. I still like chocolate candies (its chocolate after, seriously!) but try not to indulge too often.

1. M & M's -- after school I would go home do my chores and my homework, take off my uniform, call my gran at the rectory and ask to visit. She would say yes and I would run like crazy the block to the rectory where she lived as my uncle's housekeeper :-). We would go to her parlor and snuggle in -- her in her chair and me on the sofa. She would take a tissue from the holder and open the candy jar and put a small handful of M & M's in the tissue, twist it up and hand it to me. I would eat the M & M's while we watched High Chaparral, Bonanza and Gunsmoke :-) Then home for dinner :-). -- Love

2. Pinwheels -- the chocolate and marshmallow cookies that are so darn expensive and only available in the non summer months. -- Delight

3. Coca cola in the green bottle, when we went to Texas to see my dad's sister and my grandma there, Auntie always bought the little green bottle cokes for us and we were allowed one a day while we were there. . . such a treat, we never had such things at our home. I was fascinated by the whole thing, the way the bottle felt in my hand, how it would frost up on the outside, the way the bottle opener fit over the cap, the hiss as it opened and that small burst of spray that came out.. .Magic.

4. And, on our birthday, we were always given some money from different relatives. We were allowed one dollar for candy. My dad would take us to the 7 eleven and we would ask for a small bag, and we could pick out 100 pieces of the penny candy, etc. We would fill up our little bag, take it back up to the counter and pour it out and count it. then pay with out dollar. If there was any tax dad covered it lol. . .Treasure

What a fun thread :-)
May 5th 2014 new
Buried Treasures -- orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream mixed in a paper-covered cone, with a brightly-colored plastic stick running down the centre (one had Huckleberry Hound, one had Yogi Bear, etc. -- collect them all!). Sold for (ulp! this won't make me sound any younger) a dime apiece off a truck bearing the brand name "The Jingle Man".
May 5th 2014 new
homemade peach cobbler, yes, I still would say that it is my favorite dessert today (when and if I make it)
May 5th 2014 new
  • Good n Plenty
  • Candy dots on the paper...that you bit off
  • Sugar Daddy
  • Wax "soda bottles"---liquid inside
  • Carvel "Brown Bonnet" ice cream cones lovestruck! wave
May 5th 2014 new
A dip of cookies n' cream and a dip of cherry cordial ice cream on a cake cone---one of my favorites since I was three.
May 5th 2014 new

Chocolate pudding ( the cooked kind, not instant) served hot with whipped cream on top.
Of course, when we got older we substituted Bailey's Irish Crme....

May 5th 2014 new
I spent a lot of time at my grandparents' farm. My grandma would tell me to go cut some stalks of rhubarb. She would make it into a cobbler and serve it with vanilla ice cream. I think I liked it so much because I cut the rhubarb!
Posts 1 - 10 of 38