Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

I am considering joining a local singles group for Christian singles of the above 30 age range. My friend who belongs to my neighborhood church, not Catholic, is trying to get one up and running. It is much needed! There are many good people in my town that love God, want to live good lives, are single and would benefit from a group like this! It is difficult to meet others if we don't hang out at the bars, which I and most others who fit this group don't do.
I'm a bit excited about the prospect!
But on the other hand -- do I want to marry outside the faith? How likely is it that somewhere in the group I will meet someone and we fall in love but are different faiths? I went through that once, being married to a Christian Scientist (NOT Scientology) and our hearts never could fully share the same love of God and life because his understanding was so limited and false (CS believes Jesus was just a 'good guy' not God, don't believe in sin or hell, believe that as long as they are not caught doing something then they are not guilty of it, fine with birth control, etc) and I really would love to share fully with a husband rather than have such a dichotomy again.
Would you join a non-Catholic but Christian group? Will it be more like searching on Match or other dating sites where the quality of matches is less likely to result in a good and Godly match, or would you have high hopes?
May 6th 2014 new

Good morning Rachel

Why Not? For all the wonderful folks, that have and continue to post in the threads, that advocate that God will provide and or direct each of us to our mate because it is Gods will, I would suggest it just might be Gods plan for us.

Why question the path we take as long as it is traveled with love, dignity, trust and faith. Notice I did not say Catholic. Our Faith is far more important than being able to recite chapter and verse. Remember in the big picture it may be God's direction for you to meet another who just could be a want-to-be Catholic.

Good luck and happy hunting. May God continue to love and protect you

Be safe, be happy and be in love

Philip

May 6th 2014 new
Yes I would join one.
May 6th 2014 new
Hmmmm....good question, Rachel. Is there any chance you could promote it among Catholics so that it would be a group of both Catholics and Protestants? What about starting a Catholic singles group?

I don't think I would join a non-Catholic singles group unless I had reason to believe that there were other Catholics there.
May 6th 2014 new
The only dates I have had in the last five years or so were outside of CM. I avoid ones that label themselves as Christian because they are generally non-denominational fundamentalists (Catholics aren't real Christians) and not mainstream Christians. You won't find Catholic Christians there, but site's like match.com and others you will.
May 6th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I am considering joining a local singles group for Christian singles of the above 30 age range. My friend who belongs to my neighborhood church, not Catholic, is trying to get one up and running. It is much needed! There are many good people in my town that love God, want to live good lives, are single and would benefit from a group like this! It is difficult to meet others if we don't hang out at the bars, which I and most others who fit this group don't do.
I'm a bit excited about the prospect!
But on the other hand -- do I want to marry outside the faith? How likely is it that somewhere in the group I will meet someone and we fall in love but are different faiths? I went through that once, being married to a Christian Scientist (NOT Scientology) and our hearts never could fully share the same love of God and life because his understanding was so limited and false (CS believes Jesus was just a 'good guy' not God, don't believe in sin or hell, believe that as long as they are not caught doing something then they are not guilty of it, fine with birth control, etc) and I really would love to share fully with a husband rather than have such a dichotomy again.
Would you join a non-Catholic but Christian group? Will it be more like searching on Match or other dating sites where the quality of matches is less likely to result in a good and Godly match, or would you have high hopes?
No, unless I clearly discerned that was the direction God was leading me in (my impatience finding a potential spouse would not qualify as said discernment).

Keep in mind that while other Christian religions may seem close to Catholicism theologically, many of the members have a disdain for Catholics and Catholicism to the point of not even considering Catholics to be Christians. Even wheny our potential spouse has no such issues, pressure from family members can build over time and cause problems which may not be evident until after the marriage.

The Church discourages inter-faith marriages for good reasons. Granted, some of these are related to the upbringing of children in the Faith which may not apply to older couples; however, the faith of the Catholic spouse is always a consideration.

May 6th 2014 new
Sorry, you were discussing singles groups and not dating sites. embarassed
May 6th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Sorry, you were discussing singles groups and not dating sites.
I would think many of the same considerations apply to both.
May 6th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: No, unless I clearly discerned that was the direction God was leading me in (my impatience finding a potential spouse would not qualify as said discernment).

Keep in mind that while other Christian religions may seem close to Catholicism theologically, many of the members have a disdain for Catholics and Catholicism to the point of not even considering Catholics to be Christians. Even wheny our potential spouse has no such issues, pressure from family members can build over time and cause problems which may not be evident until after the marriage.

The Church discourages inter-faith marriages for good reasons. Granted, some of these are related to the upbringing of children in the Faith which may not apply to older couples; however, the faith of the Catholic spouse is always a consideration.

I agree with Jerry.
May 6th 2014 new
I'm thinking that the group would more for clean, good fun, not especially trying to date each other. I think a nice Catholic-protestant mix could lead to good things between churches and promote understanding, especially of Catholicism for those 'fundamental' types.
I'm sure that there will be pairing up involved -- isn't there usually in co-ed adult groups? But it shouldn't be the main purpose.
I'd like to join for the fun and fellowship and maybe some gentle apologetics, but I really don't want to lose my heart to another non-Catholic. That's really all that holding me back.
I would like to start a Catholic singles group, but I don't know if I'm the one for the job.
Posts 1 - 10 of 90