Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Since I hardly ever agree with President Obama on anything, I thought that I would take this opportunity to say that it appears to me that his response to this situation seems reasonable (IMHO):

====================

Copied from the Washington Post article tinyurl.com :

President Obama said Tuesday that the abduction of nearly 300 girls from a school in Nigeria is "heartbreaking," and he believes the incident may mobilize the world to act against the Islamic militant group that has taken credit for the mass kidnapping.

Speaking with ABC News, Obama said the organization, Boko Haram, has been "killing people ruthlessly for years" and is among the world's worst local terrorist organizations.

Obama said the U.S. has sent a team of military, law enforcement and other agencies' personnel to help the Nigerian government identify where the girls may be. Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan spoke with Secretary of State John Kerry Tuesday morning, the White House said, underscoring that the offer of aid does not include troops. Obama said that the United States has long wanted to work with Nigeria on eradicating Boko Haram.

"Weve long sought to work with Nigeria in dealing with them and were going to do everything we can to assist them in recovering these young women," Obama told CBS News.

Nearly 300 girls were abducted from a rural school in the country's northeast by Boko Haram, an Islamic militant group that does not believe girls should be sent to school. Its name means "Western Education is Sinful." The group admitted responsibility this week and has threatened to sell the girls. According to reports, eight more girls between the ages of 12 and 15 were abducted this week.

======================

I hope the efforts pay off. These radical Islamic militants really exhibit extreme sub-human behavior.

Ed

May 7th 2014 new
Continued prayers ascending for these children and their families.
May 7th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said:

Since I hardly ever agree with President Obama on anything, I thought that I would take this opportunity to say that it appears to me that his response to this situation seems reasonable (IMHO):

====================

Copied from the Washington Post article http://tinyurl.com/lbpbw3r :

President Obama said Tuesday that the abduction of nearly 300 girls from a school in Nigeria is "heartbreaking," and he believes the incident may mobilize the world to act against the Islamic militant group that has taken credit for the mass kidnapping.

Speaking with ABC News, Obama said the organization, Boko Haram, has been "killing people ruthlessly for years" and is among the world's worst local terrorist organizations.

Obama said the U.S. has sent a team of military, law enforcement and other agencies' personnel to help the Nigerian government identify where the girls may be. Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan spoke with Secretary of State John Kerry Tuesday morning, the White House said, underscoring that the offer of aid does not include troops. Obama said that the United States has long wanted to work with Nigeria on eradicating Boko Haram.

"Weve long sought to work with Nigeria in dealing with them and were going to do everything we can to assist them in recovering these young women," Obama told CBS News.

Nearly 300 girls were abducted from a rural school in the country's northeast by Boko Haram, an Islamic militant group that does not believe girls should be sent to school. Its name means "Western Education is Sinful." The group admitted responsibility this week and has threatened to sell the girls. According to reports, eight more girls between the ages of 12 and 15 were abducted this week.

======================

I hope the efforts pay off. These radical Islamic militants really exhibit extreme sub-human behavior.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I am currently reading the book, Lone Survivor. It is awesome.
We should send in the Navy Seals and tell them it is a free fire zone!!
May 7th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said:

====================

Copied from the Washington Post article http://tinyurl.com/lbpbw3r :

======================

Ed

It astounds me to see how backward a nation can be in this day and age. Sometimes
I wonder why the rest of the world does not step in and help. As far as I can remember
and people my parents age can remember, the Catholic Church has always taken
up collections for Africa. It just never changes. Backward is one thing, but not having
food or clean places to live or adequate law enforcement is not a good thing.

Why don't the backward countries ever change in Africa? Of course, it is their
prerogative not to change. Oprah is trying to educate the girls in Africa. That means
some of the world is trying to help.

Do you think the world doesn't care about Africa? Do you think the world wants
this beautiful continent to remain backwards? Do you think it is in the best
interest of those backward nations to remain that way?

These are questions I have always had. Now that the world is seeing what
has taken place in that lawless nation of Nigeria, I wonder why even more!

May 7th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

It astounds me to see how backward a nation can be in this day and age. Sometimes
I wonder why the rest of the world does not step in and help. As far as I can remember
and people my parents age can remember, the Catholic Church has always taken
up collections for Africa. It just never changes. Backward is one thing, but not having
food or clean places to live or adequate law enforcement is not a good thing.

Why don't the backward countries ever change in Africa? Of course, it is their
prerogative not to change. Oprah is trying to educate the girls in Africa. That means
some of the world is trying to help.

Do you think the world doesn't care about Africa? Do you think the world wants
this beautiful continent to remain backwards? Do you think it is in the best
interest of those backward nations to remain that way?

These are questions I have always had. Now that the world is seeing what
has taken place in that lawless nation of Nigeria, I wonder why even more!

There certainly seems to be very many challenges in Africa. Of course, I suppose that not all countries in Africa are saddled with the same set of problems. My understanding is that it may vary considerably from one country to another... and at different times.

Of course, the Catholic Church has long been working in Africa. Perhaps part of the way out of their mess can be found in higher education (in econimics, agriculture, business, politics, science, medicine, etc.). Teach a small portion of the population so that they can then spread there education to other parts of the countries.

My dad's first cousin, Fr. Mike Schultheis S.J., has been a Jesuit missionary priest in different countries in Africa for the past 40-50 years (now about 82 years old, but acts like 50). He has been heavily involved in college education in Africa. I recall that he spent many years in Tanzania, Ghana and since 2008 in South Sudan. He was tasked with starting a Catholic university in Ghana years ago and since 2008 he has started (with much help) the first Catholic university of South Sudan. Really starting with very little resources.... finding the land, finding the teachers, finding the students, books, buildings and everything. This past year he has stepped down as chancelor but is still working at the university. Now they have over 500 students. Of course this most recent violence in South Sudan is very threatening. One of their students was killed and another had to be moved out of the country because his life was threatened... since he belonged to the wrong tribe.

It make one be thankful for living in the U.S., as messed up as we are at times.

Ed
May 7th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: Thanks, Ed. I am currently reading the book, Lone Survivor. It is awesome.
I would not be surprised at all if the Navy Seals are already in Nigeria. These sub-human-acting people simply have to be locked up or killed. If this cancer isn't controlled, it will only expand.

Ed
May 7th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: There certainly seems to be very many challenges in Africa. Of course, I suppose that not all countries in Africa are saddled with the same set of problems. My understanding is that it may vary considerably from one country to another... and at different times.

Of course, the Catholic Church has long been working in Africa. Perhaps part of the way out of their mess can be found in higher education (in econimics, agriculture, business, politics, science, medicine, etc.). Teach a small portion of the population so that they can then spread there education to other parts of the countries.

My dad's first cousin, Fr. Mike Schultheis S.J., has been a Jesuit missionary priest in different countries in Africa for the past 40-50 years (now about 82 years old, but acts like 50). He has been heavily involved in college education in Africa. I recall that he spent many years in Tanzania, Ghana and since 2008 in South Sudan. He was tasked with starting a Catholic university in Ghana years ago and since 2008 he has started (with much help) the first Catholic university of South Sudan. Really starting with very little resources.... finding the land, finding the teachers, finding the students, books, buildings and everything. This past year he has stepped down as chancelor but is still working at the university. Now they have over 500 students. Of course this most recent violence in South Sudan is very threatening. One of their students was killed and another had to be moved out of the country because his life was threatened... since he belonged to the wrong tribe.

It make one be thankful for living in the U.S., as messed up as we are at times.

Ed

I am so glad you told us about your cousin, Fr. Mike, who is a Jesuit. The Jesuits
are such good educators and he really had a challenge on his hands trying to
bring education to a land where some hardly have necessities like running water.

I do realize that some countries are doing better than others. I also realize that
Islam has reached many of those poor countries, and I wonder if because it is
such a backward religion, especially radical Islam, maybe that is why the
people have not been able to move forward.

Yes, everyday I am happy to be living in our country. It scares the beejeevies
out of me to know that there are many who just want to run the US to the ground
and procure anything they can from it. They certainly don't act as though this
country was hard fought and many lives and limb were given to make us. It
would be wonderful if people knew what respect was.

As far as Africa is concerned, kidnapping of girls and before that there were
50 boys kidnapped, will be ongoing in one form or another unless some kind
of order is established. It seems some countries don't even have the
rudiments of a government to establish order. I think it would be appropriate
to use the term, "nation building," to describe what Nigeria needs.

I hope more than America helps in seeking the whereabouts of the girls.

May 7th 2014 new
"We have nobody to help us."

tinyurl.com

May 7th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I am so glad you told us about your cousin, Fr. Mike, who is a Jesuit. The Jesuits
are such good educators and he really had a challenge on his hands trying to
bring education to a land where some hardly have necessities like running water.

A couple of nice photos of Fr. Mike Schultheis SJ, at the Catholic University of South Sudan. He is easy to spot, being the only white guy in the photos:

tinyurl.com

tinyurl.com

Ed
May 7th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: Thanks, Ed. I am currently reading the book, Lone Survivor. It is awesome.
I would think that the U.K. should have some interest in helping with the situation, as Nigeria was a British colony from about 1906-1960. I believe that the official language of Nigeria is English (because it was a British colony).

About the former British colony of Nigeria:
www.infoplease.com

Ed
Posts 1 - 10 of 55