Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Doyou remember?

May 7th 2014 new

Do you remember the TV series NCIS? It was about a naval based intelligence and the head agent Gibbs, was constantly working on a boat he was building.

They had many of those that were so much alike like CSI and I had to think about who played on what! I enjoyed those shows but with a steady diet of them, it was too much of the same topic.

I guess if one goes over well they make so many others and soon its hard to find anything else on TV! I never cared for Law and Order because it was too cut and dry and bonking around made it seem more like a stage play because I like to see people going places! Some of the stories were good but to me it was so dragged out and probably was more realistic but feel getting away from that is what TV is all about!

• One time a sales man walked into the shop and was nearly identical in every possible way to Melville Greenspan who was on Adderly what was series during the 80s. Funny, now I know more about all this after looking it up then I ever did then!
  • When we first got pay TV I had a silly notion of thinking that at least we wouldnt have to sit through the advertisements bet they were only worse then ever! Im sure many of you can remember when the biggest expense was buying a set and an antenna what with a little luck would last for several years! My father bought my mother a 25 inch color TV for Christmas in 68 and I think it was around $300 what could probably fill 8 or 9 carts with groceries, what do you think? But anyway the sets have really become more affordable.
  • I think a VCR in the 70s was around $1000 or $1500 what no doubt came with bragging rights as a standard feature!

We had a rotary dial phone for a long time, My father bought a cordless phone with an antenna you had to pull out but it didnt work very well so had some loud bells in the shop and a phone on each end of the building but prior to that, my father was getting where he could really sprint!

May 7th 2014 new

I remember movies on Laser Disks. These disks were the size of vinyl record albums (33 1/3). A friend had the player and some disks and I was so fascinated that an entire movie fit onto something so small ! laughing

May 7th 2014 new
Wow We had one too in the family and in fact, it's up in the attic! Its called a Magnavox laser vision the picture quality was remarkable ours opened from the top like a phonograph and you put on the record about the same way as any other record. By todays standards the massive machine would look now like something out of the Flintstones but back then it was the latest thing but also the drawback because it still had a few bugs and few people really knew much about them. It was also delicate too because you had to put in a screw to lock up the mechanism before moving the machine.

May 8th 2014 new
I remember my 7th-grade science teacher bringing a LaserDisc player into class and saying what a cutting piece of technology it was. This was almost 20 years ago...am I really that old? laughing laughing laughing
May 8th 2014 new
Just prior to the laser disc was the ced disc player which actually was a record played with a stylus, It was first envisioned in 1964, but fumbles by RCA did not bring it out until 1981 and it was overshadowed by Beta Max and laser disc. The machine was a technical disaster and rarely worked for long, I was working for RCA when they came out with it, even owned one for a while.
May 8th 2014 new
is this how we eventually end up w/frisbee when it didn't work we shoot it out the window .... great unique memories ...
May 10th 2014 new
As a senior in high school (1975) we used slide rules for physics and chemistry. A few kids had 4 function calculators the cool ones actually did square root. They cost about $100.

When I started college the following year, I got a scientific calculator for $150 (my birthday is September). The following year I dropped my calculator. I bought a new scientific calculator for $24.99.
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) John-559440 said: As a senior in high school (1975) we used slide rules for physics and chemistry. A few kids had 4 function calculators the cool ones actually did square root. They cost about $100.

When I started college the following year, I got a scientific calculator for $150 (my birthday is September). The following year I dropped my calculator. I bought a new scientific calculator for $24.99.
I still have my slide rule I used in college, really dates me I suppose.
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: is this how we eventually end up w/frisbee when it didn't work we shoot it out the window .... great unique memories ...
The main headquarters and engineering facility for Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) was an old wool mill in Maynard, MA, known simply as "The Mill" (or MLO), which was a complex consisting of about 20 buildings (now known as Clock Tower Place, named for the distinctive clock tower, for those who reside in the area).

There was a large pond outside several of the building that were used for product development. It was not uncommon for the technicians to throw non-working pieces of hardware out the window into the pond in frustration. As DEC occupied the Mill from 1957 through the early 1990s, dredging the pond might prove to be an interesting techno-archeological endeavor.

May 10th 2014 new
(quote) John-559440 said: As a senior in high school (1975) we used slide rules for physics and chemistry. A few kids had 4 function calculators the cool ones actually did square root. They cost about $100.

In 1975 or 76 one of my classmates had a TI SR-50 scientific calculator, while many of the rest of us were still using slide rules (I still have mine).

One day, about 30 minutes before a major chemistry exam, while taking the cover off the calculator to show another classmate the electronics inside, the keys fell out of the top and on to the table. While he was desperately trying to remember which keys went in which position, several others went on a frantic race around the school trying to find someone else who had the same calculator. When he got home that night and was able to check the manual, he found several keys were in the wrong spot, but fortunately none that were needed for the test.

Posts 1 - 10 of 22